TV's are getting bigger: How big is yours?

2»

Comments

• Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50" or over.
    93" screen with a 1080p Panasonic projector. Haven't had a regular TV in the lounge for about 12 years now.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40" to 49"
    It's this one,

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55x9005b-201405123771.htm

It has a wedge-shaped profile giving a bit more room for speakers - 3 on each side plus a wireless sub.

Not for a household with small children who do like to poke their fingers into speakers though. :p

Yeah that's the one, saw it in my local Apollo 2000 store, picture quality looked amazing
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you soon get used to a bigger screen, and It's hard to go back to a smaller one.

We had a 42" hitachi, but changed to a 46" Sammy - which is actually smaller than the hitachi, because of the narrowness of the screen surround.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30" to 35"
    Mine's 47". Which box do I tick ?
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Same here :)

Sorry about that, the poll should have read 40" to 49", so please vote using the 40" to 45" option.

This should be corrected shortly.
  • Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30" to 35"
    Just bought a 32 inch LED 3D Sammy and the picture and sound are just stunning. I don't see why you'd want any bigger in an average sized lounge.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Just bought a 32 inch LED 3D Sammy and the picture and sound are just stunning. I don't see why you'd want any bigger in an average sized lounge.

You'll soon get used to it and want bigger.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member

A current 32 is pretty well a portable, and far too small for decent HD viewing in an average size room.

Pretty well bedroom sets now 32's :D
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30" to 35"
    From the poll thus far, it looks like Digital Spy members like theirs to be a little bigger than the new average size.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50" or over.
    55" LG in our house.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40" to 49"
    From the poll thus far, it looks like Digital Spy members like theirs to be a little bigger than the new average size.

40 inch is a very common size, perhaps the most common, so do you tick 35-40 or 40-49. There are an increasing number of sloppy polls like this on DS.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40" to 49"
    I did have a 32" Panasonic and replaced it with a 42" Panasonic, the 32" I have moved to the bedroom. The bigger the screen the more it requires HD to get a decent picture. Nearly everything I watch these days is available in HD.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40" to 49"
    It is not an easy read but this is a BBC survey on the subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper287
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40" to 49"
    47" Samsung 2013
  • Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under 30"
    20" Sony
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40" to 49"
    I got a 32"Tosh Regza in 2010.

I read somewhere later, that you should look for the size that seems right and then buy the next size up. :D

I've just got a LG 42" 4k UHD, and it's brilliant. 4k will be a bit thin on the ground for some time to come but the HD picture is stunning, as with all things it's relative to what I had before, but then I'm easily pleased.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50" or over.
    20" Sony

Did you get free binoculars with that? :D
  • Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30" to 35"
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Did you get free binoculars with that? :D

That was a normal size living room TV in my day.
    The olden days.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40" to 49"
    I'm looking forward to getting a 55" with 4k (probably a Samsung) when Steam boxes are released at the end of the year. There should be a couple of models that will support gaming in 4k.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Under 30"
    I really struggle to warrant buying an HD TV. If you had told me about them years ago I would have been really excited at the prospect - I was one of the first in the country to get a DVD player.

But now they are here I am completely underwhelmed by not only the sets but much of the HD content and so am using a CRT set – which is a shame in a way as I used to love new tech. The sorts of things I would love to see in HD are just not there. I have browsed the Blu-Ray rack, looked at online streaming and all of it leaves me not very enthusiastic. But enough people do like it to make it a thriving industry and it can't be expected to satisfy everybody can it?

This sort of thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsgMCqZ6Ebs (my upload which I have on VHS - classical music duet) is what I would like to see on sparkling HD quality but such content is just not there. In fact most of what I watch is not even on DVD yet! Plus most 'HD' is flaky quality with visible compression artefacts, posterisation and block noise.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40" to 49"
    47 inch Lg 3D in the Lounge

42 Inch 3D Blaupunkt in the bedroom
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50" or over.
    Just upgraded to a SONY BRAVIA KD55X8505BBU Smart 3D 4k Ultra HD 55" LED TV, it is complimented with Bose Companion 3 multimedia speakers.

I currently download 4k content from YouTube

This is an example of what is available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DSvJwLe8s