Options

Catchiest Rock Songs of 2010?

GorkyGorky Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did you hear any new rock songs this year which had you singing/shouting along or getting the air guitar or air drums out? Please post them if you can think of any, this is what I've come up with so far:

The Black Keys - Tighten Up

The Walkmen - Angela Surf City

Surfer Blood - Swim

Spoon - Written in Reverse

Menomena - Taos

Japandroids - Art Czars

Thee Oh Sees - I Was Denied

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of those songs you posted are indie, not rock. Although The Black Keys are indeed great, 'Tighten Up' is a very good song.

Anyways...

Iron Maiden - When The Wild Wind Blows
    Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
    Tarja - Still Of The Night
    Ozzy Osbourne - Life Won't Wait
    Slash - Ghost
    The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die
    Bullet For My Valentine - Pleasure And Pain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Most of those songs you posted are indie, not rock.

I seen this in another thread. Just out of interest, what do you define as rock then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe something that actually is driven by guitar, drums and bass rather than a kazoo or a violin?

I don't hate indie music. I just hate people calling it something it's not. Arcade Fire are not rock, they never have been and never will be. Rock is Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and newer rock acts are ones like Sixx: AM, The Answer, Black Stone Cherry, Airbourne etc. Properly loud, aggressive, guitar driven music.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Maybe something that actually is driven by guitar, drums and bass rather than a kazoo or a violin?

I don't hate indie music. I just hate people calling it something it's not. Arcade Fire are not rock, they never have been and never will be. Rock is Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and newer rock acts are ones like Sixx: AM, The Answer, Black Stone Cherry, Airbourne etc. Properly loud, aggressive, guitar driven music.

What you're describing is metal.:)

Real Rock is Rock'n'Roll, you need Chuck Berry for a good example.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So McFly are rock?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you're describing is metal.:)

Real Rock is Rock'n'Roll, you need Chuck Berry for a good example.:)

No, Chuck Berry is rock n' roll, the precursor to harder rock music.

None of the bands I listed there as examples of rock are metal. Metal is stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Slayer etc. You're getting confused between hard-rock and metal ;)

And of course bloody McFly aren't rock, lyrically they don't fit the mould and there's no aggression, heavy distortion, guitar solos, blues and penatonic scales etc.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    No, Chuck Berry is rock n' roll, the precursor to harder rock music.

None of the bands I listed there as examples of rock are metal. Metal is stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Slayer etc. You're getting confused between hard-rock and metal ;)

And of course bloody McFly aren't rock, lyrically they don't fit the mould and there's no aggression, heavy distortion, guitar solos, blues and penatonic scales etc.

Well then, I don't listen to metal.:D
    I do like hard rock though, but what I meant was that indie is rock, it falls under the rock... umbrella, if you will.:D I don't quite know where I'm going with this, I was going to say something about how legendary Muddy Waters is... or something... so well... there you go.:):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough :) Thank you for replying, I wouldn't neccessarily agree, but thank you anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Muse. Uprising
  • Options
    SoliloquyOSoundSoliloquyOSound Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Bubbles. Biffy Clyro.
  • Options
    GorkyGorky Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of those songs you posted are indie, not rock. Although The Black Keys are indeed great, 'Tighten Up' is a very good song.

I forgot to mention that I don't care what type of rock music it is (indie rock, alternative rock, post rock, punk rock, rock 'n roll etc. etc.) as I don't want to get bogged down with that pointless discussion about sub-genres :yawn:). Also, I didn't want people to not post something for fear of it being the "wrong" kind of music.

Any catchy song will do that falls under the loose term of "rock music". Thanks for the suggestions so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I agree with BFMV - Pleasure and pain
    Cancer bats - Sabotage
    Korn - Oildale
    Papa Roach - Kick in the teeth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Take this indie vs rock argument elsewhere. Can we all just agree to include all branches of rock songs? That includes hard rock, soft rock, indie, metal, that pop-punky shiz, acoustic rock, electrock etc.

Anyway, I've really liked:

Na Na Na - My Chemical Romance
    SING - My Chemical Romance
    The Only Hope For Me Is You - My Chemical Romance
    Flash Delirium - MGMT
    Crossfire - Brandon Flowers
    Bubbles - Biffy Clyro
    Miss Nothing - The Pretty Reckless
    Since You're Gone - The Pretty Reckless
    Pyro - Kings Of Leon
  • Options
    AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock music is a very broad term... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rock music is a very broad term... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres

Well, how about we choose a couple of the sub-genres from that list? I say we go for Death 'n' Roll and perhaps Doom Metal? Go on, we'll throw our favourite Cuddlecore ones in too! I'm sure we've all got plenty of those to share!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, just seen that Cuddlecore redirects you to indie pop, so yes, I'm sure we do genuinely have some favourites from this year!!

But come on, 'Drone Metal', 'Math Rock', 'Melodic Black Metal', 'Nazi Punk', 'Nazi Punk?' They can't genuinely be serious, can they?!

Oh, just seen 'Medieval Metal'. Yeah, I bet old Harold Hadrada loved a bit of his 'Medieval Metal', Don't we all...

Oh, and 'Nintendocore'. Wonderful. And not forgetting 'Queercore'. I take it that's the kind of music little gay Joe McElderry makes?

And, for goodness sake! 'Viking Rock??', 'Unblack Metal' Honestly. I have no words left to say.

Apart from 'Wizard Rock'. I put my hands up. I have listened to Draco & The Malfoys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of those songs you posted are indie, not rock.

Don't start this again :p

Rock music as far as the terms day to day use by the man on the street takes in pretty much anything electric guitar driven. Mcfly's first album is a rock influenced pop record, now they are more r'n'b influenced pop. :p

Indie isn't really a cohesive musical genre. Some Indie is rock music, some isn't.

The Libertines are a rock band but are also very much an "indie" band, some bands that are described as indie are really electro bands and some are basically folk bands. What leads people to call things indie seems basically to relate more to the bands dress sense, their fanbase, whether their name starts with a "the", and whether the nme like them than the music they produce.

Anyway on topic:

Hearbeat song by the Futureheads is catchy as hell and was criminally under played on the radio this year.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    'Nazi Punk', 'Nazi Punk?' They can't genuinely be serious, can they?!

Sadly, Nazi Punk exists, and is basically hardcore punk performed by white supremists.

The like of Skrewdriver et al, who need to put up against a wall and shot, but that's another thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Sorry, just seen that Cuddlecore redirects you to indie pop, so yes, I'm sure we do genuinely have some favourites from this year!!

But come on, 'Drone Metal', 'Math Rock', 'Melodic Black Metal', 'Nazi Punk', 'Nazi Punk?' They can't genuinely be serious, can they?!

Oh, just seen 'Medieval Metal'. Yeah, I bet old Harold Hadrada loved a bit of his 'Medieval Metal', Don't we all...

Oh, and 'Nintendocore'. Wonderful. And not forgetting 'Queercore'. I take it that's the kind of music little gay Joe McElderry makes?

And, for goodness sake! 'Viking Rock??', 'Unblack Metal' Honestly. I have no words left to say.

Apart from 'Wizard Rock'. I put my hands up. I have listened to Draco & The Malfoys.

I know it seems strange to you, but believe it or not, a lot of those genres you mentioned are actually perfectly legitimate.

Drone metal is a well recognised genre that consists of heavy distortion, lack of vocals and minimal technicality. Usually only a handful of notes sustained for a long period of time. It's not my thing at all, but you'd recognise it a mile off.

Math rock is just a fancy name for prog usually, I'll give you that one. Ditto Nintendocore and Queercore!

Nazi punk was already explained.

Medievil and Viking metal are also both genres you could spot a mile off. Simply metal mixed with the traditional instrumentation and melodies of those era. Pirate metal is a comedy version of them!:D

Unblack metal is otherwise known as white metal (and no, they're not racially related terms). Essentially it's black metal in musical style but with Christian and spiritual lyrics instead of the Satanic lyrics associated with black metal.

Doom metal is arguably one of the biggest metal sub-genres. Listen to a lot of Black Sabbath and you're listening to proto doom metal essentially.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Light Me Up by The Pretty Reckless is probably the best rock I've heard this year, although its probably more pop-rock really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James__B wrote: »
    Light Me Up by The Pretty Reckless is probably the best rock I've heard this year, although its probably more pop-rock really.

That's a great track, the whole album is awesome. Don't know if I'd call it pop-rock, maybe alt-rock, but the rest of the album is very similar to grunge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Swellers - Fire Away
    Four Year Strong - It must really Suck to be
    Futures - Boy who Cried Wolf
    Paramore - Careful
    30 Seconds to Mars - Kings & Queens

I'll most likely think of more, but those are the ones that immediately jump out at me.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night is The New Day - Katatonia. It actually came out late 2009 but I didn't get it until early 2010... ;)
    Audrey Horne - Audrey Horne. Simply brilliant!
  • Options
    SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Chemical Romance - Sing
    My Chemical Romance - Na na na
    The Pretty Reckless - Since You're Gone
    The Pretty Reckless - Light Me Up
    Alter Bridge - Isolation
    Alkaline Trio - Draculina
    Alkaline Trio - Dead on the Floor
    Deftones - Beauty School
    Deftones - Sextape
    Hole - Pacific Coast Highway
    Hole - Honey
    Jimmy Eat World - Movielike
    Jimmy Eat World - Coffee and Cigarettes
    Lostprophets - A Better Nothing
    Lostprophets - Where We Belong
    Stone Sour - Dying
    Stone Sour - Digital
    Coheed and Cambria - Guns of Summer
    The Gaslight Anthem - Bring It On
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Chemical Romance - Sing

The start of that song sounds exactly like Incubus.

I thought they had a new song out the first time it came on the radio.

I like my chems new stuff, its done with just enough of a wink and a smile to work. Good fun.