Options

Lower back problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anybody offer any advice. For the last few days each morning my lumbar back has gone into spasm. It first happened when I was hoovering and just lent slightly forward and then the next day when I lent over the sink cleaning my teeth, always just a simple movement.
It's really bad/ painful for a few hours on bending forward and then seems to settle after a few hours.
I cant take any time off work and really worried that tomorrow it won't settle on its own.

Comments

• Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,109
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, it is difficult to give advice on this...have you iced it?
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can take Nurofen it is a great pain reliever .Also you can use a rub like Deep Heat or a gel like Difene to rub into the area .
    Can you get anyone to massage it for you and try to ease the muscle out , its most likely in spasm and needs to relax .
    Another tip is the heat patches you can buy , or a warmed lavender cushion and hold it to the lower back to help relax the muscle.
    If you still have trouble after a few days then a visit to a GP would be a good idea ,
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First I would book an appointment to see your GP. It could be a number of things from muscle problem, nerve issue or spinal problem or something else.

Aside from that, you can alternate heat and ice packs and a rub such as biofreeze might help. And if you can get somebody to give you a gentle massage and also some very light stretching might help.

But the best thing is to rest.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you Google for 'back pain' you'll find reams of advice. A visit to your GP would be sensible but lower back pain is very common. There's a lot of advice out there at your finger tips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    If you Google for 'back pain' you'll find reams of advice. A visit to your GP would be sensible but lower back pain is very common. There's a lot of advice out there at your finger tips.

Yes I know there is loads of really good info on back pain. My question was more around the fact it "goes" for a couple of hours then is ok again until the next morning when something really innocuous sets it of again.
  • Options
    caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    First I would book an appointment to see your GP. It could be a number of things from muscle problem, nerve issue or spinal problem or something else.

Most likely it's muscular, and a deep tissue massage should help.
    Aside from that, you can alternate heat and ice packs and a rub such as biofreeze might help. And if you can get somebody to give you a gentle massage and also some very light stretching might help.

Second this.
    But the best thing is to rest.

No, quite the opposite. The best thing to do is take painkillers, if necessary, and keep mobile as much as you can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm guessing that keeping moving and taking my husbands naproxen helps it settle. I'm just really scared that one day it won't settle after a couple of hours cos I really can't be off sick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carax wrote: »

No, quite the opposite. The best thing to do is take painkillers, if necessary, and keep mobile as much as you can.

all painkillers do is mask the pain. Pain is there because your body is injured which is why I suggest getting it checked out.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    all painkillers do is mask the pain. Pain is there because your body is injured which is why I suggest getting it checked out.

In all fairness most lower back pain is muscular and all the GP will do is give pain relief and see if it goes away with time .
    If the pain is still as bad in a few days then a GP visit would be a good idea .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all fairness most lower back pain is muscular and all the GP will do is give pain relief and see if it goes away with time .
    If the pain is still as bad in a few days then a GP visit would be a good idea .

I agree that most lower back pain is muscular, I have pain myself. But OP has said that its been a few days already which is why I was suggesting getting it checked out. If it was just one or two then fine, give it a couple more days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, go and see your GP.. Yes, lower back problems are common but there are various things a doctor can sugggest to help. I was given great pain killers plus exercises to do which honestly helped a great deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Can anybody offer any advice. For the last few days each morning my lumbar back has gone into spasm. It first happened when I was hoovering and just lent slightly forward and then the next day when I lent over the sink cleaning my teeth, always just a simple movement.
    It's really bad/ painful for a few hours on bending forward and then seems to settle after a few hours.
    I cant take any time off work and really worried that tomorrow it won't settle on its own.

Ease you back problems by lying flat out on the floor, curl up and grab the underside of legs and roll back and forward, you will hear your vertibrae poping as the weight of your body gets everthing moving, I do this regulary and have no problems. BTW this advice was given to me by a physio who was in the army and can tell you it works fine and helps execise those buttocks and lower back muscles! No need to waste your hard earned cash on physios either or rot your guts with pain killers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isnt resting worst thing you can do, all that does is slow your recovery

keep moving it , but don't do anything too strenuous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont say how old you are, i have the same symptoms and xrays diagnosed athritis.