Doctor Who 50th Anniversary to be in 3D

Comments

• GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I may be alone in thinking that for a one hour or ninety minute one off that making me flinch lots is exactly what I want. Especially in recompense for wearing the silly glasses. If "The Needlessly Long And Pointy Sceptre of Rassilon" isn't a key prop I shall be disappointed.

I fear you will see some of that! :D

To me it was the same when they brought out color (sic) TV in the states. The "suits" had just invested big bucks in providing a color TV broadcast infrastructure and needed the populace to invest in TVs too. So what happened? You got a whole bunch of TV shows in the sixties with excessive use of and questionable taste in color. Original "Star Trek" is a prime example.

No doubt a bit of that went on over here too. :)

3D's very similar in that the studios have invested heavily in 3D film making and "They want the audience to see it, goddammit!". But the difference is, I think, excessive gimmicky use only hastens its demise and will eventually relegate it to a historical curiosity, just like all the previous attempts at stereoscopic 3D. That and poor 3D conversions of films shot in 2D.

It's full-on holography, glasses free or nothing for for me! :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they do! I love it when you see one of those crap 3D westerns from the fifties. Lots of gratuitous shots of knives and spears being thrown to the screen and native americans waving flaming torches into your face. I suspect it's going to be an hour of daleks extending their plungers for no good reason and Alpha Centauri flailing arms out of the screen in terror.
    Oh, how Granny would love that! :D

Oh, joy! :D:D
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    I fear you will see some of that! :D

To me it was the same when they brought out color (sic) TV in the states. The "suits" had just invested big bucks in providing a color TV broadcast infrastructure and needed the populace to invest in TVs too. So what happened? You got a whole bunch of TV shows in the sixties with excessive use of and questionable taste in color. Original "Star Trek" is a prime example.

No doubt a bit of that went on over here too. :)

3D's very similar in that the studios have invested heavily in 3D film making and "They want the audience to see it, goddammit!". But the difference is, I think, excessive gimmicky use only hastens its demise and will eventually relegate it to a historical curiosity, just like all the previous attempts at stereoscopic 3D. That and poor 3D conversions of films shot in 2D.

It's full-on holography, glasses free or nothing for for me! :)

But colour TV kinda took off didn't it? :) I actually quite like the overly-saturated colours of early Star Trek and I think it's something that the newer Star Trek films have tried to replicate.

I'm not really a fan of 3D because the last two films I saw, The Hobbit and Life of Pi, gave me a headache but hopefully they can improve the technology?
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    But colour TV kinda took off didn't it? :) I actually quite like the overly-saturated colours of early Star Trek and I think it's something that the newer Star Trek films have tried to replicate.

I'm not really a fan of 3D because the last two films I saw, The Hobbit and Life of Pi, gave me a headache but hopefully they can improve the technology?

Don't get me wrong, I think 3D is the future, just not today's stereoscopic technology where you have to wear glasses and sit in the sweet spot directly in front of the screen.

Some people get headaches because they have a visual defect and others because it forces the eye and brain to coordinate in an somewhat unnatural way. The eye's focus is always in the plane of the screen but the brain is fooled into thinking the objects in the image are at different depths.

Eventually, I think true 3D holography will be the answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, do we think we'll have a plunger coming at the audience at some point then?
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I think 3D is the future, just not today's stereoscopic technology where you have to wear glasses and sit in the sweet spot directly in front of the screen.

Some people get headaches because they have a visual defect and others because it forces the eye and brain to coordinate in an somewhat unnatural way. The eye's focus is always in the plane of the screen but the brain is fooled into thinking the objects in the image are at different depths.

Eventually, I think true 3D holography will be the answer.

Does anyone know how they make the screens in Nintendo 3DS's display 3D without people wearing glasses or is it just because those screens are that much smaller?
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

I would bet my life on in-your-face plunger action coming to a big screen near you soon.
    Forum Member
    But colour TV kinda took off didn't it? :)

I purchased a TV this year and it was indeed capable of reproducing a colour picture. And colour pictures is by and large what seems to be transmitted.

But these colourised images do not induce headaches nor require inhabitants of the Nebosphere to wear silly glasses.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member

If you've been to the Doctor Who Experience, there's a 3D Pandorica segment in the walk through part and lo and behold, sink plungers coming at you galore!

I highly recommend it!
    Forum Member
    If you've been to the Doctor Who Experience, there's a 3D Pandorica segment in the walk through part and lo and behold, sink plungers coming at you galore!

I highly recommend it!

I've seen that! Very scary! The dalek attack segment before it was intense. The moment the daleks emerged a little boy in our group ran into a corner, curled up and wouldn't show his face until the lights came up and his dad lifted him up. Nightmares guaranteed. Excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen that! Very scary! The dalek attack segment before it was intense. The moment the daleks emerged a little boy in our group ran into a corner, curled up and wouldn't show his face until the lights came up and his dad lifted him up. Nightmares guaranteed. Excellent.

Same thing happened when I took my nephew before DWE left London. My brother-in-law loved it when he freaked out. Because he's slightly mean in a fun way like that. :D
    Forum Member
    Same thing happened when I took my nephew before DWE left London. My brother-in-law loved it when he freaked out. Because he's slightly mean in a fun way like that. :D

That bit really was very good. The way they glided in was panic inducing. The 2010 dalek design is much better in real life than on screen.

Off topic - but the Experience live walk through thing is very good. I loved it. Got to stand in a real life flying tardis. Well worth the money.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    As I understand it, a 3D camera is essentially two cameras stuck together. One records what the left eye sees and one records what the right eye sees.

To playback in 2D you just play the output of one of them. To playback in 3D you play the output of both of them simultaneously and the 3D TV and glasses work out how to display one image to one eye and one image to the other in order to get the 3D effect.
    thanks, you have been most helpful.:)
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong,

When you say "Don't get me wrong", GDK, do you mean "please get me wrong and call me a troll." ?

It's so hard to understand your meaning. ;)
    Sorry. just thought seeing one of the more polite and humorous members of the forum being mistaken for a nuisance poster was hilarious. You can't win them all.
    Forum Member
    Yeah. It's so easy to step in the you-know-what.

:D

Irony. Subtlety. Sarcasm. Hyperbole. Silliness. Imagination. Humour. Wit. Apparently all unappreciated, "lost arts" around here.

;)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. It's so easy to step in the you-know-what.

:D

Irony. Subtlety. Sarcasm. Hyperbole. Silliness. Imagination. Humour. Wit. Apparently all unappreciated, "lost arts" around here.

;)

Do you mind? This is supposed to be a serious thread and you are ruining it for everyone with your silly comments and made up words. Please desist.
  • llama1llama1 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how they make the screens in Nintendo 3DS's display 3D without people wearing glasses or is it just because those screens are that much smaller?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-3DS-3D-Glasses-DS,news-6237.html

the "sweet spot" on the 3ds (actually there are kind of 3 sweet spots but only 1 proper one) is very very tight and easy to loose in normal gameplay...that said its still damn cool, i find my passive 3d tv much more comfortable to view for longer times with wider viewing angles

so being one of the 6% (and one who brought a set, albeit a cheap, one specifically for 3dness too) i think its AWESOME that Dr who will be in 3d
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This is the first I've heard about a 3D component and I'm really torn about the news. On the one hand, there are elements of the show that will look great in the 3D format, but on the other, I have yet to see something shot for 3D that doesn't intentionally shoot to employ the 3D effect and I feel it takes so much away from the viewing experience when you have that moment of "oh, that's so it would use the 3D". Plus, I know the 3D TVs are available but are people actually buying them? I have no desire myself.

All this new technology for the 50th and it seems like the best bits of the series are still the old stalwarts like the Daleks, whose creator will sadly not be around to see them make it to the milestone 50th. Saw Ray Cusick had died when perusing a celeb death list today (www.ranker.com/list/celebrity-deaths-2013-famous-deaths-list/famous-celebrity-deaths-list) and was happy to know that his legacy will be remembered, but saddened he couldn't be around for the specials at the end of the year. In 3D. Which he might have just abhorred...
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wished for a 3d special, so it's my fault....:D
    Forum Member
    I wished for a 3d special, so it's my fault....:D

Well done. I'm going to be given some 3D glasses to go with my 3D telly by then , so thanks.

Would you be so good as to wish for Alpha Centauri's appearance in the special? I know of an elderly diva who would like that very much. :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done. I'm going to be given some 3D glasses to go with my 3D telly by then , so thanks.

Would you be so good as to wish for Alpha Centauri's appearance in the special? I know of an elderly diva who would like that very much. :)

How nice of you to think of me and my weird obsession with multi-armed hermaphrodites. :)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    This letter is hardly an answer and I am not satisfied with it. I will try to make other inquiries.
    My advice would be to make them in November.
    Forum Member
    The special will be the last 3D thing from the BBC. They're giving up on the format (well, they say they're putting it on hold but all Who fans know what that means). Turns out not enough people own the sets, and people who do own the kit don't use it. (it's the telly equivalent of sandwich toasters, foot spas and exercise bikes).

www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-07-04/bbc-put-3d-projects-on-hold-due-to-lack-of-public-appetite-for-technology
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The special will be the last 3D thing from the BBC. They're giving up on the format (well, they say they're putting it on hold but all Who fans know what that means). Turns out not enough people own the sets, and people who do own the kit don't use it. (it's the telly equivalent of sandwich toasters, foot spas and exercise bikes).

www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-07-04/bbc-put-3d-projects-on-hold-due-to-lack-of-public-appetite-for-technology

Well that is a surprise! :rolleyes::D

The only people I know who own 3D TVs are video gamers. Perhaps if 3D Blu-rays became more commonplace, the TV sales would grow?

Or ideally just let the fad die quietly.
    Forum Member

Good grief. The 50th anniversary special will date quicker than Dimensions in Time!