Options

Only 1.5% gay!

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what you're trying to prove by this . Twin studies were twins are separated at birth or shortly there after thus leaving only genetic and environmental factors within the womb have shown that these play a higher than random role in determining homosexuality in men... the evidence is less conclusive in women.

Not really trying to prove by this, other than pointing out that the numbers are relatively small, for research that much faith and pedestal lofting is put into, where only mild-medium effects have been demontratated.

- Any sort of twins are Twins or not exactly common - Less than 2% of world population

- DNA Identical Twins are 0.2% of the world poulation population

- A 1.5% share (gay %tge) of 0.2% of the world poulation that is DNA identical twins is pretty small beer in the bigger picture of things. Even if you inflate the gay %tge a bit higher, the numbers are still small.

Esp. when this is further masked by the effect being weaker in Female DNA Identical twins, as opposed to Male DNA identical twins.

I make 1.5% of 0.2% of the worlds poulation (7 billion) around 200,000 people. If you rougly half that for male/female - the male, gay identical twin total global sample size is only 100,000 people or.0000142% of the planets population

With some of the posts here, you would think that every other 'twin' (regardless of whether DNA identical or paternal) is gay, which is simply not the case.

Claims need to be placed into perspective of the real world.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True... however both Fisherian and Neyman-Pearson statistical analysis have shown that the it is a significant result - ie. a greater than chance probability.

As with many things in genetics (developing multiple sclerosis, excellence in sports etc..) there are a large number of factors involved, not just genetic, some environmental which determine the end phenotypes. Statistics can sometimes lead to wrong conclusions but I will be surprised, if or when they find a cause for homosexuality, that there isn't a significant genetic element to it.