Matt Lucas as Thenardier

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I never liked Cosette at all, until one production I saw where she was really likeable. I cannot for the life of me remember who was playing her, but it was in London, and I think with Jon from S Club 7. I remember in the scene in the garden with Valjean and then Marius, she was far more normal and less wet - I think she got properly cross with Valjean at one point, and she seemed far less wet and more gutsy.

Most Cosettes are horribly played. I know she's a wet character anyway, but I have seen a few Cosette actresses who put a real effort into their part and they actually made me care about the character.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I watched my Les Mis DVD I had for Christmas since there was nothing on TV I wanted to watch, and we have a huge surround-sound TV that I turned up quite loud, so it was excellent, so with a couple of glasses of wine and a tub of Pringles, I had an enjoyable three hours!

I think some people on this forum who weren't too happy at Matt Lucas's portrayal of Thenardier, probably had preconceptions of what he'd be like... and had he been totally unknown, I think that more people on here would have thought he'd done a good job! I'm sure that with more time and performances under his belt, Matt would be right into the part and with the short time restraints and few rehearsals, I thought he was quite good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astonvils wrote: »
    Congratulations Herbert Kretzmer.

Loved this. Thanks.

Would John Owen Jones be a contestant for a film part or won't it all be sung?

I'd hope so, it would make sense as wasn't he voted best JVJ ever by people who went to see the show.

He's young too.
  • JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not taking anything away from Matt but I've no doubt there were people in the chorus if they were given the chance could had played an equally good Thenardier. However as it's a front of stage character someone with the "status" of Matt was probably preferable to the producers which must grate on some of the more time served chorus members who'd love to be given the chance.

My favourite was Alun Armstrong, a great portrayal!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eviesmum wrote: »
    I'd hope so, it would make sense as wasn't he voted best JVJ ever by people who went to see the show.

He's young too.
    Having seen Les Mis numerous times, John Owen-Jones is my favourite ever Jean Valjean and he'd get my vote to star in the film! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I enjoyed this programme but then I am a big Les Mis fan. I thought Matt did very well, though Alun Armstrong still has the edge.

Really, really liked Alfie Boe as John Valjean. Colm Wilkinson takes some beating but Alfie was up there. The 25th anniversary DVD is fabulous and well worth buying to see the whole show.

I've seen Les Mis many times but oh, what I would give to have seen the young Michael Ball as Marius! Unfortunately, I caught on a few years too late. And to think I chose 42nd Street instead, I could weep! Still, the 10th anniversary DVD is some consolation.
    :) Luckily I did. I'm an absolute Les Miz freak and daren't say how many times I've seen it. :o

I was really disappointed with the 25th anniversary DVD. Nick Jonas was awful, he's a kid and Marius needs a bit of adultness. I wasn't majorly impressed with Alfie Boe, but then I think Colm Wilkinson owns the part. Strangely, the best Jean ValJean I've seen was a Norwegian tenor who was in a touring version a few years ago. I cant remember his name.

I suppose when you've been going to see it for 25 years and have worn out the 10th Anniversary recording, anyone new is going to grate. Matt Lucas did a pretty good job as Thenardier, but Alun Armstrong or Barry James will always be my favourites, as will Phillip Quast as Inspector Javert. He sends shivers down my spine when he sings "Stars"

Lily Rose wrote: »
    You really should see it - it's the best theatrical musical ever, in my opinion. I've been a die-hard fan of it for over a decade and have seen it live several times. Quite gutted I didn't get to go to the o2 concert, which sounds like it was fantastic.

I only wish I'd been old enough to see the original version of the show with the original cast. Frances Ruffelle is my favourite Eponine but I've never been able to see her live.

It was a shock because we'd read the original reviews but my sis-in-law got us tickets as the word-of-mouth was so good. I just remember bawling my eyes out, it was so brilliant. I dont think I've ever seen a production and NOT cried. But I totally agree with you, it's head and shoulders above any other musical IMO.

I've seen loads of casts but that original line up will always be the definitive one for me ( except for Javert, Philip Quast is just oustanding) Lea Salonga (amazing in Miss Saigon at 18) is also brilliant as is Ruthie Henshall, so I'll root for them too.
    I much prefer the 10th anniversary concert to this latest production. I'm dubious about the film, I think they risk losing the power that comes across in the theatre.

:) But, if you're new to Les Miz, then I bet most people loved it. I've just developed strong opinions about it.
  • WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    I'll stick my hand up as being in "the other camp" when it comes to Javert. For me it has to be Michael McCarthy. Most people I know are either Michael or Phillip.

Oh, and tally - don't be afraid to say how many times you've seen it. You won't be the only one ;)
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Les Miserables proves that critics get it wrong sometimes. The only other shows that have done great despite mixed or terrible reviews are Mamma Mia!, We Will Rock You and Wicked.

The Phantom of the Opera while popular and respected doesn't have near the same fanbase as Les Miserables. I would doubt a 25th anniversary concert would be able to fill the O2 like Les Mis did.
  • jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked this concert version both when I saw it at the O2 and re-visiting it via blu ray. Matt Lucas was excellent - decent vocals but very good characterisation, but then he is a terrific character actor in his own right. And that is precisely how the Thenardiers should be portrayed. Larger than life and very OTT. His Leigh Bowery in "Taboo" was great, too.

However, for me it is not a patch on the 10th anniversary concert and my main grumble was the casting of Jonas - a really insipid and vocally limited Marius. He has no acting skills of any note and each bit with him in it was shocking. Even watching it at the O2 he looked very much out of his depth. "Empty chairs" should, of course, be moving and it was some achievement for him to render it almost pointless in this concert!

And what wonderful re-orchestrations of the musical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JS477 wrote: »
    However as it's a front of stage character someone with the "status" of Matt was probably preferable to the producers which must grate on some of the more time served chorus members who'd love to be given the chance.
    !

But that is simply showbiz and you get used to that. When you work in a show in the chorus, even as first understudy to a main character, when the character is to be re-cast you don't automatically get first refusal for the role! It rarely works like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jg. wrote: »
    However, for me it is not a patch on the 10th anniversary concert and my main grumble was the casting of Jonas - a really insipid and vocally limited Marius. He has no acting skills of any note and each bit with him in it was shocking. Even watching it at the O2 he looked very much out of his depth. "Empty chairs" should, of course, be moving and it was some achievement for him to render it almost pointless in this concert!

And what wonderful re-orchestrations of the musical.

I totally agree. I think I would have enjoyed, though not raved about, the O2 concert if young Jonas hadn't been in it. He was completely out of his depth. Commercially I bet Cameron Mackintosh thinks he's on to a winner because of the huge tweeny fanbase that The Jonas brothers have, especially in the US. But it utterly ruined it for me. "Empty chairs" usually finds me bawling yet again, but his version left me stone cold.

And please tell me I'm wrong, but hasn't he be signed up for the role in the film?

All I can say is dear God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek: Say it isn't true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    And please tell me I'm wrong, but hasn't he be signed up for the role in the film?

Oh God I do hope not. While I can see the need for a "name" in big films (although with Les Mis, the musical itself ought to suffice in terms of its target audience out there), there are plenty of high profile, good looking young men out there who can sing well and who can act convincingly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know where you can see the cast per year. I have seen the show in London three times 2001, 2003/4 and 2009 but don't have the programmes. I remember 2001 being exceptional and 2003/4 good also but 2009 a little disappointing (and nothing to do with the smaller stage)...with the exception of Javert who was fantastic.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can see the cast per year. I have seen the show in London three times 2001, 2003/4 and 2009 but don't have the programmes. I remember 2001 being exceptional and 2003/4 good also but 2009 a little disappointing (and nothing to do with the smaller stage)...with the exception of Javert who was fantastic.

Thanks

I believe Earl Carpenter was the Javert in 2009 - fantastic depth to his voice and I believe Jon Owen Jones was JVJ in 2001. Nice to see these two are on the 25th anniversary tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been watching the concert and really like everyone...except Nick Jonas, who is unforgivably AWFUL and should never have been given the role. And I'd approached with an open mind, too, but he's just so shit it's actually an embarrasment to watch. What were they thinking?! If he's in the film I will boycott it without a second thought. I won't care about anything else. His presence would destroy the entire project for me. :(

Matt Lucas was surprisingly good. Enjoyed him here very much. Credit where due, well done to him. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the DVD a few days ago, I really liked Matt Lucas, really made the roll his own. Most give Thenardier a Fagan quality but he took it in a different direction which I thought worked quite well.

Also (against popular belief) I thought Nick Jonas wasn't that bad, in some aspects I would say better than Michael Ball as he gave the role a very nervous appeal that fitted in well with the story. Especially with Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (which was done really well with the 'ghosts' behind him).

Only person I didn't like was Alfie Boe who sang very well but lacked any emotion in it.

Have to say how much I liked Samantha Barks as Eponine, she was really good, and Ramin Karimloo did a fantastic Enjolras. Really looked the part and played the part very well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I was at the evening performance of Les Mis at the O2 but so far from the stage that I couldn't wait for the DVD to see what i had missed!

Matt Lucas was excellent, Alfie Boe was immense, the standing ovation after Bring Him Home was a "hairs on the back of the neck " job.
    Sadly, Nick Jonas was not so good and when the artistes were taking their bows at the end there were a lot of boos audible in the area we were sitting in. Then to rub his nose in it Michael Ball came out and showed him how to do it - His line 'My Place is here with you ' received the biggest cheer!

The BBC programme behind the scenes with Matt Lucas was very interesting and I rather hoped it would be an extra on the DVD but it isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jg. wrote: »
    Oh God I do hope not. While I can see the need for a "name" in big films (although with Les Mis, the musical itself ought to suffice in terms of its target audience out there), there are plenty of high profile, good looking young men out there who can sing well and who can act convincingly.

It's probably best not to be good looking for Thenardier! ;)

Herbert Kretzmer, the lyricist, must have thought Matt did a very good good job of playing Thenardier because during the TV programme he said about Matt, " He has a masterful sense of timing, he's a natural clown, you can feel the tears behind the wax, and he's been one of the better Thenardiers we've had over the years!" :cool: :D

Praise indeed for those who doubted Matt's ability... and he had very little rehearsal time, so I'm sure he would be even better given more time!

I heard Cameron Mac say to Matt during a rehearsal that the author of the screenplay was to be watching the 02 production... so we shall have to wait and see what happens! I'd love to see John Owen-Jones as Valjean as I wasn't quite as keen on Alfie Boe... a bit too operatic and 'expressionless' for me! Re the lengthy applause for Bring Him Home, any one of the four would have received the same praise as the song is just so good and each sings it so well... JOJ is my favourite of all time... marginally favoured over Colm Wilkinson! He's also good in Phantom!

PS: I've just seen Clapton=God's post above and totally agree! I don't know why people don't like Nick Jonas.. he was pretty OK to me as Marius... and I've seen Les Mis many times in the past 25 years, including this version, the 25th tour and I've watched the DVD twice since Christmas! :confused: