Options

The Office US - Grade A entertainment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From a show that started as badly as this one did, and looked to have no chance of ever stepping out of the shadow of the British version, it's incredible how well it has turned out. Most of season 1 was a bit hit and miss, but season 2 has been rock solid, and it's now one of the shows I most look forward to each week. The only weak link is the Dwight/Gareth character who is badly cast, but at least they have toned him down a little.

Anybody else been converted?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that the office: an american workplace is the most downloaded show for ipod so it's not doing as bad as most thought.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Steve Carell is a comic god.

He is especially good in Anchorman and The 40 year old virgin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote:
    Steve Carell is a comic god.

He is especially good in Anchorman and The 40 year old virgin.
    Carell used to be the second weak link in the show. He still isn't really good, but he is better. The writing for the charater has improved, and they're starting to find the right balance between the character and what suits Carell, which has helped a lot, but he still finds it difficult to pull off the natural style of comedy the show and the part often requires. I never liked Carell on The Daily Show, but I agree he was good in The 40 Year Old Virgin. I have nothing good to say about Anchorman at all. :)
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Not sure I would say "grade A" but it is worth watching and has some really good moments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote:
    Not sure I would say "grade A" but it is worth watching and has some really good moments.
    I am not usually quick to hand out the Grade-A label, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but on current form it actually eclipses my previous favorite, Arrested Development, which has gradually descended into one big, self-referential in-joke this season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first saw the first episode I had to stop watching because it was soo bad.

A few weeks ago I caught the repeats on BBC2 and really enjoyed it. I think if you disassociate it with the British version and just accept it as an American Sitcom then it's not so bad.

I still don't understand why they needed to remake it though, they should have just shown the British version. We never remake their programs, so why remake it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbonjovi wrote:
    When I first saw the first episode I had to stop watching because it was soo bad.

A few weeks ago I caught the repeats on BBC2 and really enjoyed it. I think if you disassociate it with the British version and just accept it as an American Sitcom then it's not so bad.
    Yes, I wanted to scratch my eyes out when I saw the first US episode, and I caught some of the repeats too, and although the initial shock factor was obviously reduced on a repeat viewing, I still didn't like the early episodes, although they did have one or two decent ones throughout the first series.
    mrbonjovi wrote:
    I still don't understand why they needed to remake it though, they should have just shown the British version. We never remake their programs, so why remake it?
    The British version would have sunk like a rock with mainstream America. It might have done alright on cable, like Extras on HBO, but NBC in prime time? Never. Also, they ideally want enough episodes for syndication, and to fill a whole or at least half a season to be able to give it a good time slot, and the British version was quite short.

The reasons British TV doesn't remake US shows much are very simple.

1. They simply can't do it. Can you imagine a UK version of Friends, 24 or even Lost? Think Coupling, Spooks and maybe Dr Who, and see if you can keep yourself from laughing.

2. Money. Licensing succesful American shows is expensive, and why bother when you can't do it right anyway. Much better to try cheap knock-offs like the ones I mentioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll give series 2 a try. Episode 3 onwards wasn't too bad in the first series as they started to use their own jokes and stories.

I saw a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm the other day and think it's one of the best comedy series from America. It has a similar style to our The Office which is why I think our version could have done well over their.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbonjovi wrote:
    I think I'll give series 2 a try. Episode 3 onwards wasn't too bad in the first series as they started to use their own jokes and stories.

I saw a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm the other day and think it's one of the best comedy series from America. It has a similar style to our The Office which is why I think our version could have done well over their.
    I can't stand Curb, and it's not because it's that bad, it's mostly because of Larry David, but also the we-don't-have-a-script concept. If I close my eyes and imagine an older Jerry Seinfeld in the role, it becomes a little more enjoyable, and if we could then tweak things to the point where they did have a script and didn't mind the occassional re-take to avoid the horrible, akwardly padded dialog, it would be a winner, but as it is, it's too much of a chore to watch for the few bits I can stomach. The material seems solid, but the method and Larry let's it down. Maybe I am just still bitter about how he screwed up the Seinfeld finale. Talk about bad luck to jump the shark on the final episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree season 1 wasnt the best, but season 2 has been excellent so far.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only seen series 1 when they showed them on BBC3 a while back. Although definetely not as good as the British version, I thought it wasn't bad and improved as the series progressed.

The problem with the 1st episode is that it was basically a word for word copy of the British episode, and Micheal Scott is different to David Brent, so trying to copy his mannerisms didn't work.

When they gradually moved away from the following the British model, I enjoyed it more as I wasn't sitting there always comparing it to the British version. My favourite episode was the one where they did the anti-racism day and stuck post-it notes on each others foreheads. Some of the moments in that showed quality comedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definately enjoyed Season 1 of the US office, even though I am a huge fan or the original and I know nothing can touch it. I didn't know there was a Season 2 - is it being screened currently in the US?
  • Options
    CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,488
    Forum Member
    I've liked what I've seen of the US Office; it was a bit strange at first, but the faux documentary aspect of the original resulted in an interesting take on the US workplace (which is not the same as the UK workplace). The existence of the same/similar script in different settings with different actors is strangely educational.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't stay with it on BBC3, but watched it recently in the Extras/Family guy/American Dad/Office, comedy night on BBC2, and was glad I watched it.

My favourite was the basketball ep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    It's a shame with Season 1 that it ends just as it starts to find its feet. Luckily though it comes back with a bang for Season 2. I am still mystified though as to why they chose to remake the British ep for the pilot. It's a very odd choice to make, and sets them up for a fall right from the beginning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great show, I'm not a huge fan of the British version (though, to be honest I've only ever seen the first 2 eps, I just don't particularly like Ricky Gervais (he can be quite funny, but he seems a it full of himself)).

The first season got better and better as it went on and it's continued to improve this year. Despite it's not fantastic ratings I hope NBC, as they do with Scrubs, realize it's a quality show and keep it on the air for a few more years. Just wish Fox were as understanding with Arrested Development (how can they cancel a show with the amount of awards it has won in just 2 and a 1/2 years).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Just wish Fox were as understanding with Arrested Development (how can they cancel a show with the amount of awards it has won in just 2 and a 1/2 years).
    Because, brilliant as Arrested Development is, nobody in the US watches it.