Knots Landing

Comments

• Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series is moving fast now and before long we'll be half way through.

Abby's makeup is pretty thick but she still looks good with it whereas others would probably look pretty awful and more like a drag queen. I'm liking Gary a bit more now than when I saw KL repeated on UK Gold years back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy Moo wrote: »
    Welcome, Lazy Daisy! What I am loving about the recent episodes is that they have started to do the infamous KL improvision - Mack and Karen sorting the laundry, Val and Lilimae dying her hair... It shows what a tight cast they were that they could pull it off

Thanks for your welcome Missy Moo :) I haven't seen any of the stuff you were talking about as I'm a bit behind at the moment (don't worry, you haven't spoilt anything for me) although I did have a bit of a catch up session yesterday and watched 5 episodes :eek:

I've just got up to where Val has been told she's lost her babies and has had a bit of a breakdown (I think) and is now calling herself Verna and is in Tennessee waitressing. I admit I did have a bit of a giggle though when she vamped herself up and was looking at herself in the mirror telling herself she looked beautiful and she was sexy. I could imagine she might have found it hard to keep a straight face and be serious when she was doing all that as it did seem a bit OTT (to me, anyway) and completely un-Valene like.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your welcome Missy Moo :) I haven't seen any of the stuff you were talking about as I'm a bit behind at the moment (don't worry, you haven't spoilt anything for me) although I did have a bit of a catch up session yesterday and watched 5 episodes :eek:

I've just got up to where Val has been told she's lost her babies and has had a bit of a breakdown (I think) and is now calling herself Verna and is in Tennessee waitressing. I admit I did have a bit of a giggle though when she vamped herself up and was looking at herself in the mirror telling herself she looked beautiful and she was sexy. I could imagine she might have found it hard to keep a straight face and be serious when she was doing all that as it did seem a bit OTT (to me, anyway) and completely un-Valene like.

Ridiculous storyline they could have really shown what losing your children was like but they send her off on a loonyville trip which made no sense from start to finish at least when it's over the storylines seem to start making a bit more sense apart from Josh-waa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is a soap opera. it has so be larger than life and the storyline with Val/Verna was a great one especially with Joan van Ark really showing off that she is a great actress.

and i dont think we are halfway thru the show, we are on 124 from 344 episodes, to that is about 200 episodes left, the seasons had much more episodes than the early seasons, season 6 and 7 and 8 have each 30 episodes with 9-12 having nearly 30 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Ridiculous storyline they could have really shown what losing your children was like but they send her off on a loonyville trip which made no sense from start to finish at least when it's over the storylines seem to start making a bit more sense apart from Josh-waa.

I have to admit I'm finding it a lot more interesting now she's lost the babies than when she was just pregnant. Up to then I had found it all a bit boring and had been struggling to keep watching.

I'm not sure about the whole Joshua character either - he seems to me to be going a bit strange, like his father was when he came to visit that time. No doubt if I ever catch up I will find out what happens! :)
  • Missy MooMissy Moo Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I think you need to have a Knots Landing marathon day, Lazy Daisy!
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I agree, I didn't care for the Val/Verna nonsense either and was glad when it finally came to an end. Like you, I'd have preferred to see Val grieve for the babies properly, not lose her memory and develop another personality. And an annoying personality at that. The whole thing was very soap opera-ish and not in a good way.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we were going through the Verna nonsense I was glad it was on daily rather once a week as it was when originally shown, the show has lost its way this season, I think it picks up again when Jill Bennett shows up.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't mind the Verna plot at all, apart from the rather implausible factor that she was in the same state as Nashville and not one person recognised her from the Nashville Junction book! :rolleyes:

In fact I tell a lie - what I did mind about the Verna plot was that hideously malformed guy playing her boyfriend - I can't even remember his name, I've erased the traumatic memory of his nightmarishly bloated and pumped up face from my memory that rapidly. Did he have a bicycle pump up his arse or something to look so puffy-cheeked?

I think the other disappointing thing about the whole Tennessee affair was that with Ginger and Kenny now supposedly living in the same state, it would have been a nice touch to have them (or at least Ginger - I doubt James Houghton would have agreed to appear) 'discovering' Val and contributing to those couple of episodes that led to Gary going out there. It was a bit of a stretch to accept Abby flying all the way out there and back again on that particular mission, and it would have been a nice post-script to the Wards and their original link with the cul-de-sac and its friendship group.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfbridge wrote: »
    it is a soap opera. it has so be larger than life and the storyline with Val/Verna was a great one especially with Joan van Ark really showing off that she is a great actress.

and i dont think we are halfway thru the show, we are on 124 from 344 episodes, to that is about 200 episodes left, the seasons had much more episodes than the early seasons, season 6 and 7 and 8 have each 30 episodes with 9-12 having nearly 30 episodes.

30 episodes is a lot of episodes per season but lots of new characters come like Paige (Nicolette Sheriden), Anne Matheson (MIchelle Phillips), the Williams family and soon, Hunt Block (what a name?) playing Peter Hollister.
    dd68 wrote: »
    When we were going through the Verna nonsense I was glad it was on daily rather once a week as it was when originally shown, the show has lost its way this season, I think it picks up again when Jill Bennett shows up.

Jill Bennett comes in this week. She's one I'd forgotten about and then I saw her name and I could picture her straightaway, just like Peter Hollister.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy Moo wrote: »
    I think you need to have a Knots Landing marathon day, Lazy Daisy!

I would love too Missy Moo, but unfortunately a little thing like work gets in the way of me doing that!!! :D
    Valene1 wrote: »
    30 episodes is a lot of episodes per season but lots of new characters come like Paige (Nicolette Sheriden), Anne Matheson (MIchelle Phillips), the Williams family and soon, Hunt Block (what a name?) playing Peter Hollister.

Jill Bennett comes in this week. She's one I'd forgotten about and then I saw her name and I could picture her straightaway, just like Peter Hollister.

Now there's a few names I remember! Must be getting really close to the series I remember watching now (*gets all excited*). Ooh, think I will definitely have to have a few catch up sessions now to get up to date as I know I will enjoy the series I remember more than the ones I haven't (if that makes sense) :)
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching last night's episode and how big is the "guest room" that Joshua and Cathy are staying in? :eek: I wasn't aware that Val's house was a mansion. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love too Missy Moo, but unfortunately a little thing like work gets in the way of me doing that!!! :D

Now there's a few names I remember! Must be getting really close to the series I remember watching now (*gets all excited*). Ooh, think I will definitely have to have a few catch up sessions now to get up to date as I know I will enjoy the series I remember more than the ones I haven't (if that makes sense) :)

I too like from about season 5 onwards,and from when Greg came in, with the exception of a few earlier storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well hello Miss.Bennett
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Just watching last night's episode and how big is the "guest room" that Joshua and Cathy are staying in? :eek: I wasn't aware that Val's house was a mansion. :D

I'm still behind at the moment (*sighs*) :( but the episode I watched last night was the one when Valene/Verna was going to marry Parker and she saw Gary in the mirror (like somebody else said, that was weird :eek: ). In her fantasy, she and Gary were dancing around Val's room and I suddenly thought, I don't remember her lodgings being that big, it looked like a ballroom! :)

Well hello Miss.Bennett

Ooh, don't tease me! :) Can't wait to see these episodes again...I have about 10 episodes to watch at the moment, so think I will definitely have to have a bit of a marathon and try and catch up this weekend! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excited that it's season finale time again on Friday, and then we can check out all the new hairstyles in Mondays show!
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Had a bit of a catch up this week myself too (been home with flu so a good opportunity!) can't believe we are almost at the end of another series! Going to have to watch the last one tonight if I can manage to stay awake!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excited that it's season finale time again on Friday, and then we can check out all the new hairstyles in Mondays show!

LOL I do that too! :D

I also like to watch the opening credits to see who the "new" stars are that they include that weren't in the previous season (although I don't like it so much when they put the little bits of film in next to the character and you can see what's going to happen and who they end up with :mad:)

Am definitely going to have a good go at getting up to date this weekend :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, don't tease me! :) Can't wait to see these episodes again...I have about 10 episodes to watch at the moment, so think I will definitely have to have a bit of a marathon and try and catch up this weekend! :)

I wish I were only 10 episodes behind Daisy. I have 55 episodes recorded. :eek: I think that's the last 2 seasons. I intend to start watching them from Monday.

I was quite happily up to date, when life got in the way. A marathon catch up is required. :eek::)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 days on holiday......didnt manage to catch up alot. i will definately NOT do this again :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I were only 10 episodes behind Daisy. I have 55 episodes recorded. I think that's the last 2 seasons. I intend to start watching them from Monday.

I was quite happily up to date, when life got in the way. A marathon catch up is required.

Blimey and I thought I was behind! I am quite happy to report that I have had a marathon watching session and have managed to watch 8 of the episodes I had recorded, having only 2 to go.

However, I have noticed from the opening credits that we are now in 1985 in KL. I was 14 then and a lot of the clothes and hairstyles and make-up I'm seeing bring back so many memories. Also, having watched so many episodes in one go, I have probably noticed things more than I would if I was only watching one episode at a time and the things that stand out to me (and a lot of these did make me giggle), include the following:-

Cathy's version of "We Belong" by Pat Benetar. I used to love Pat Benetar and can remember playing her tape over and over until it was practically worn out. "We Belong" and "Love Is A Battlefield" were particular favourites of mine.

Cathy's wedding dress :eek: despite the shoulder-padded excesses of the 80s, you didn't see many wedding dresses like that around and the fact that the men of KL all remembered what it looked like spoke volumes :D

Shoulder pads being in absolutely everything, even nightwear :eek: I swear, if Val's bridesmaid dress had had shoulder pads much wider, she wouldn't have fitted through the church doors!

Cathy wearing an electric blue leather jacket - the epitome of cool back then but looking sooo naff now :D

Abby wearing a big flouncy bow in her hair - all she needed was loads of bangles and a big crucifix and she would have looked the spitting image of Madonna in her early days :D

Abby having as big a wardrobe for her nightwear as she does for her daywear - every night she wears something different, usually a lacy, flouncy nightdress or brightly coloured pyjamas and they are always in silk. I think the budget for the nightwear that series must have gone on Abby as all the other women seem to make do with the same dressing gown and I notice poor Gary didn't get allocated a nightwear budget at all as he is always shown in bed topless! :D

Abby wearing a full face of make-up when she goes to sleep and again when she wakes up in the morning and none of it being smeared over her pillow - how does that happen? :eek:

Ben wearing a cap back to front. It would have been bad enough if it were a baseball cap, but an old man's flat cloth cap? No, no, NO! No wonder Val won't marry you if you wear things like that! :D

With regard to storylines, how nobody has managed to punch that smug jerk Joshua in the fact yet is beyond me (although I think Ben has come close a couple of times). His transformation from a shy, mild, meek-mannered man to a preaching, domineering and quite nasty character has been somewhat amazing.

Also, how nobody has worked out that Gary is the father of Val's twins has been surprising as well - Ben has managed to sit on that secret for a whole series now and nobody has suspected a thing, yet Greg managed to guess in 10 seconds as soon as Abby said the words "Val's babies". How does that work?

Sorry to go on for so long, but like I said, having watched so many episodes in one go I noticed a lot more than I normally would. Am going to try and watch the last 2 episodes today and then I will have caught up! And then I can start on the next series with everybody else. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Season 7 already!
    Mack has hair like one of the Jackson Five and they're fairly dragging out the babies drama tbh :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Anyone notice the excessive birdsong in the Lotus Point scenes? Love it.
  • sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's quite funny how Gary is at Bobby's funeral which turns out to be a dream! I'm guessing they gloss over that and never mention Bobby again, lol.