Chocolate prices to increase significantly soon

mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
Forum Member
Just in time for Christmas, over 21p per 100g. :eek: Due to the ever increasing price of cocoa butter. Chocolate manufacturers say they've been trying to absorb the wholesale price rises for a while but can no longer do so alone :eek:

So if chocolate increases a lot in price will you eat less? :D I love the Cadburys Turkish bars.

Those 400g boxes will be as much as £1 dearer this Xmas. :rolleyes:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    They won't as they will be 300g, which is what the chocolate manufacturers have been doing for some time now. They have concluded people will accept less without paying more for it.

I picked up a Twix the other day and upon opening, they were almost a third less than they were a few months back.
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I remember when all the boxes actually weighed a pound, 454g, but no longer. :(
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    They won't as they will be 300g, which is what the chocolate manufacturers have been doing for some time now. They have concluded people will accept less without paying more for it.

I picked up a Twix the other day and upon opening, they were almost a third less than they were a few months back.

You're sure you're comparing like with like? Remember they had those extra long Twixes a few months ago.

There's got to be a ****, Mags and Bags joke in here somewhere...
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just opened a large bar of Cadbury's wholenut chocolate YUM :)
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't bother me as I don't eat it.

By contrast, the other half is a complete holic. He'll spend £40 in Hotel du Chocolat in the blink of an eye. Probably be £50 now.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that the ingredient price is more than 15-20% of the price of a tin of chocolates.
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Just opened a large bar of Cadbury's wholenut chocolate YUM :)

It shouldn't really affect the price of junk chocolate like Cadbury's as their products typically have only 25 - 26% cocoa in them and it's cocoa butter that is increasing in price. Probably won't stop Cadbury's hiking selling prices, though.
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    It shouldn't really affect the price of junk chocolate like Cadbury's as their products typically have only 25 - 26% cocoa in them and it's cocoa butter that is increasing in price. Probably won't stop Cadbury's hiking selling prices, though.

I'd hardly call Cadbury's chocolate junk. Hershey's from the US, now that's junk, just inedible.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is 25% cocoa a bad thing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Still hopelessly in love with the idea of chocolate - but no longer eat it.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »

You're right. Cadbury's 'chocolate' is good enough for those that know of none better.;)
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »

Too little for the product to actually taste of chocolate. Cadbury's tastes of sugar and the cheap vegetable fat they use as filler. Nothing like proper chocolate that has at least 70% cocoa. Have you never tried it?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buggeration. That's my addiction stymied, then.

Mind you, I'm sure they've been watering down the quality of our most popular brands for a good long while, now, as well as product sizes. Nestle went down the pan, becoming bland and tasteless years ago. Cadbury's is rapidly following suit. Mars still seems to be keeping something of how good I remember their chocolate to be but it really, really isn't the same. I know I'm getting older and lots of older people say 'things don't taste the same' but having been a bit of a choccie freak for nearly 30 years, there are definite differences.

Got a thing for Thorntons Mis-shapes at the moment. 99p a bag at Home Bargains. Bit of a lottery as to which ones are in the packet but the packets are see-through and they are the 'real thing'. Highly munchable, if you're not too fussy on appearance. There are also the brown bags of mis-shapes you can get in the pound shops and they are usually Cadbury's.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    well it make the health nazis happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    I'd hardly call Cadbury's chocolate junk. Hershey's from the US, now that's junk, just inedible.

Hershey's tastes like feet
    Forum Member
    mike_dunn wrote: »

It's a different manufacturing process, isn't it? Don't they use fermented milk or something?
    Forum Member

And, I'm guessing, not in a good way...
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

feet that has athletes foot :D

I have tried Hersheys, it wasnt very good. Cadbury is much better. However Cadburys is quite low on the quality chocolate scale.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So our beloved vegelate will be going up or reducing in size again.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    feet that has athletes foot :D

and that have been walking in vomit :D I really hate Hersheys
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too little for the product to actually taste of chocolate. Cadbury's tastes of sugar and the cheap vegetable fat they use as filler. Nothing like proper chocolate that has at least 70% cocoa. Have you never tried it?

That's my take on it.

I personally can't stand Cadbury's and don't see its appeal at all, but maybe if I'd grown up eating it I'd have a different opinion.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    That's my take on it.

I personally can't stand Cadbury's and don't see its appeal at all, but maybe if I'd grown up eating it I'd have a different opinion.

Presumably you don't eat feet like a number of the other posters in the thread do?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably you don't eat feet like a number of the other posters in the thread do?

That's correct, BB. I'll leave those sort of activities to DS's experts.
  • Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no! The half-price chocolate at Lidl might go up from 17p to 18p. :mad:

;)
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,377
    Forum Member
    Milky way bars are 5p each in tesco.