Options

A Serious Question About Jim's New Fans Going To His Comedy Shows

Comments

• Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I've always found the likes of Jim Davidson, Jethro, Bernard Manning, etc's so-called comedy a huge yawnfest and incredibly lazy 'comedy' as all they do is pick on easy targets. What a bore. It really is the laziest of comedy to mock minority groups, etc and doesn't exactly require a lot of talent! When it comes to old style classic comedians you can't beat a bit of good old Morecambe and Wise, who could make me laugh to tears with their brilliant tv shows which didn't include any crass racist, sexist 'jokes' and were all the funnier for it!

Morcambe and Wise were a PG entertainment act. They weren't stand up comedians so its not really a fair comparison. Jim Davidson has done similar things with The Generation Game and Big Break. He even won Showbiz personality of the year twice and The TV Times award for being voted the funniest man on TV.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people really think most voters care that much that they will follow them around the country? It doesn't work like that.

I have no intention of going to a Jim Davidson gig. That is my choice. I still like him and hope he does well. But this thread just screams antagonize to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Apart from those with empty lives no one will care in a week who won or lost or about anything they said or did

Carry on though......
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I've always found the likes of Jim Davidson, Jethro, Bernard Manning, etc's so-called comedy a huge yawnfest and incredibly lazy 'comedy' as all they do is pick on easy targets. What a bore. It really is the laziest of comedy to mock minority groups, etc and doesn't exactly require a lot of talent! When it comes to old style classic comedians you can't beat a bit of good old Morecambe and Wise, who could make me laugh to tears with their brilliant tv shows which didn't include any crass racist, sexist 'jokes' and were all the funnier for it!
    Yes, I agree. Comedians like Manning and Davidson appeal to a certain 'taste'.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is no more shocking that Frankie Boyle, or to a lesser extent Jimmy Carr.
  • Options
    JJ69JJ69 Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jim will be just fine and the audience will love him. For me, with comediennes, it's not so much the joke subject it's more the way they deliver it. Jim's way is the sort that tickles me and makes me titter.

A lot of people love Lee Evans but the way he delivers his jokes makes me feel ill...he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen. Plus, I think his jokes are very wifeist....always jokes pulling his wife to bits!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    I read today that he does rape jokes, I didn't realise he was that bad. I can't see that going down well with One Directioners.

Was that in the Star comic *rollseyes*
  • Options
    sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we're saturated with comedians and they all offend someone in some way, Jim Davidson's just appeared on our tv after goodness knows how many years of not being on the radar, 20 years or so since i've seen the man and he goes on BB and everyone's talking about his smutty offensive jokes, ...blimey I can't remember Jim's jokes, there's bigger fish to complain about if you're going to complain !!!!.... two of which are mentioned by radcliffe. Go to the Edinburgh Fringe, a lot of posters on here wouldn't last one act up there !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandy50 wrote: »
    blimey I can't remember Jim's jokes, there's bigger fish to complain about if you're going to complain !!!!.... two of which are mentioned by radcliffe. Go to the Edinburgh Fringe, a lot of posters on here wouldn't last one act up there !!

:confused: Didn't someone already try that peculiar argument in this thread? I have been to the Edinburgh fringe several times, and promise that I lasted more than one act, dire though some of them are. Are you under the illusion that the Edinburgh fringe is stuffed full of bigots? If anything, I would have said that the stand up acts, if 'political' in any sense at all, are overwhelmingly on the liberal-left. It would be a rare festival that did not involve people shouting, "George Osborne! What a c***!" as the start to some spiel.

I must have seen Josie Long, for example, about five times, (I am not implying that she is one of those who does foul mouthed rants about the Tory government) and it is literally impossible to imagine a comedian less like Jim Davidson. In fact if anyone likes Jim Davidson, I beg them not to go and see Josie Long. Even the fact that she sometimes hands out tangerines to the audience could not prepare them for the horror of her gentle, self-deprecating, gag-free and firmly left-wing humour.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Morcambe and Wise were a PG entertainment act. They weren't stand up comedians so its not really a fair comparison. Jim Davidson has done similar things with The Generation Game and Big Break. He even won Showbiz personality of the year twice and The TV Times award for being voted the funniest man on TV.

Morecambe and Wise were stand up comedians.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Morecambe and Wise were stand up comedians.:confused:
    Yes, telling that these fine distinctions need to be made.

From Wiki:
    BBC description:
    A mixture of sketches and stand-up comedy from Eric Morecambe, Ernie Wise and guests.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be impossible for Jim to make his stand up routine less bigoted. The great majority of his audience will be people who are looking for exactly that kind of humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be impossible for Jim to make his stand up routine less bigoted. The great majority of his audience will be people who are looking for exactly that kind of humour.
    Yes, I agree. Perhaps he can take advantage of publicity and go on tour with Dieudonne who isn't remotely anti-Semitic.
  • Options
    snickypoosnickypoo Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to my first show today in Southend innit.
    Lucky You! I've got to wait until the end of March to see him at Weston Supermare, I can't wait! I wish he would come abit closer to where I live so I don't have to travel so far, oh well, a windy weekend in Weston is worth it to see Jim on stage again!:D Have a great night!:D
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not someone who goes to see comedians but friends of mine have seen loads of them. They tell me the worst (meaning blue/racist etc) comedian was the late Bernard Manning. They didn't care for Jimmy Carr as his humour is quite cruel.

Jim Davidson does an adult show - it's best not to go if you're easily offended but, compared to the two above, they said he's a pussycat.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps not...but it's often down to who is telling the jokes.

With someone like Jimmy Carr... you know he's just going for shock value and gasps.

He could get away with telling a potentially racist or homophobic joke to a mainstream audience(to a degree at least)...because nobody believes for a second that he's racist or homophobic...

...the same can't be said of Jim Davidson.
  • Options
    chickseechicksee Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »

With someone like Jimmy Carr... you know he's just going for shock value and gasps.

He could get away with telling a potentially racist or homophobic joke to a mainstream audience(to a degree at least)...because nobody believes for a second that he's racist or homophobic...

Why can't it ?
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chicksee wrote: »
    Why can't it ?

Quite simply ...because many people do believe he is racist and homophobic.
  • Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simply ...because many people do believe he is racist and homophobic.

And why would they think that? They think that because to write such material, you must have those views, yet apparently this doesn't apply to the likes of Boyle or Carr :confused:
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Jims "new" fans that are here know exactly what his shows entail as just about every video he has ever made has been posted and discussed on this forum by horrified watchers - obviously only watching them to save us the outrage.

How thoughtful of them.

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do.

What is this opinion of yours based on ?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    :confused: Didn't someone already try that peculiar argument in this thread? I have been to the Edinburgh fringe several times, and promise that I lasted more than one act, dire though some of them are. Are you under the illusion that the Edinburgh fringe is stuffed full of bigots? If anything, I would have said that the stand up acts, if 'political' in any sense at all, are overwhelmingly on the liberal-left. It would be a rare festival that did not involve people shouting, "George Osborne! What a c***!" as the start to some spiel.

I must have seen Josie Long, for example, about five times, (I am not implying that she is one of those who does foul mouthed rants about the Tory government) and it is literally impossible to imagine a comedian less like Jim Davidson. In fact if anyone likes Jim Davidson, I beg them not to go and see Josie Long. Even the fact that she sometimes hands out tangerines to the audience could not prepare them for the horror of her gentle, self-deprecating, gag-free and firmly left-wing humour.

It's a shame comedy is so ridiculously biased to the left. Jim has almost the whole field to himself so could make a killing if he plays his cards right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    What is this opinion of yours based on ?

The same thing as every anti opinions on Jim are based. Nothing.

You can't have 2 comedians and say just one of their acts are racist etc if they do the same material.

It's either racist or it isn't.

I personally see it as an "act".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same thing as every anti opinions on Jim are based.

I don't know what you're referring to.