Options

Suarez doubt for World Cup?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    If he misses the World Cup it'll be karma for his cheating at the last one.

Wind your neck in, if an England player did what Suarez did & England won the game or had the team Suarez done that against been Argentina-Germany-Spain-Brazil one of the other top nations instead of Ghana would you be complaining i think not, the Ref did his job gave Suarez a Red Card & gave Ghana a penalty, & other players would do exactly the same thing Suarez did in the same situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wind your neck in, if an England player did what Suarez did & England won the game or had the team Suarez done that against been Argentina-Germany-Spain-Brazil one of the other top nations instead of Ghana would you be complaining i think not, the Ref did his job gave Suarez a Red Card & gave Ghana a penalty, & other players would do exactly the same thing Suarez did in the same situation.

I think if Suarez wasn't such a dirty, cheating, scummy kind of player in general, people would agree with you.

Because he is, it makes what he does worse than say, a Phil Neville example.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »
    I think if Suarez wasn't such a dirty, cheating, scummy kind of player in general, people would agree with you.

Because he is, it makes what he does worse than say, a Phil Neville example.

And he stole the Nazi gold and currently owns all the cures for cancer but refuses to let them be seen by the public.

He has had some problems no doubt, but he is hardly the monstrous player you are making him out to be.

As for his stopping the goal, it was the right thing to do. THe best players always shave the mentality that winning is the main goal. If Roony did it to Argentina, the papers would be selling pictures of it, mocking the other team and more than likely bringing up the hand of god. Any team would be happy to stay in the world cup if a player did what he did. I would like to see the same level of determination from the England camp for a change, they need more players like that :P
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So cheating is now acceptable because it's become part of the game? Yeh right!

If an England player did something similar I'd be dissapointed because any victory would be soured by that.

Neville was just as much a cheat, same as Henry against Ireland.

If Suarez does play against England and does something equally as dodgy which results in them beating us then I look forward to all those defending him now coming back and saying what a great egg he is for cheating his team to a win!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    And he stole the Nazi gold and currently owns all the cures for cancer but refuses to let them be seen by the public.

He has had some problems no doubt, but he is hardly the monstrous player you are making him out to be.

As for his stopping the goal, it was the right thing to do. THe best players always shave the mentality that winning is the main goal. If Roony did it to Argentina, the papers would be selling pictures of it, mocking the other team and more than likely bringing up the hand of god. Any team would be happy to stay in the world cup if a player did what he did. I would like to see the same level of determination from the England camp for a change, they need more players like that :P

Not disputing what he did on the goal line, I agree really with the sentiment that if an English player did that and it kept us in the World Cup, then most people would view that more favourably.

All I am stating is that because of Suarez's general nature on the football pitch, his actions are viewed more negative that others.

....and imo he is a monstrous player. It's just that he actually incredibly talented to go with it.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

If an England player did something similar I'd be dissapointed because any victory would be soured by that.

If Suarez does play against England and does something equally as dodgy which results in them beating us then I look forward to all those defending him now coming back and saying what a great egg he is for cheating his team to a win!

But equally if its 0-0 in a game and an England player has the ball being fired past him on the goal-line and he is faced with either a goal being conceded and certain elimination, or handling the ball, taking the punishment as stated in the rules and giving his team one last chance to stay in the competition then there is only one choice.

Its not the same as Henry at all because Henry deceived the ref. Suarez did not. He blatantly broke a rule in full knowledge of what would happen and took the consequences. Simple as that.

In the same situation you would expect 99% of players to do that same. If you want to look at what the punishment should be then thats a different argument altogether. If you could park on double yellow lines and be fined £1, how many times would you do it knowing that paying a pound was a better option than looking for a proper parking space?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I blamed the referee for Henry, not Henry himself.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

He didn't cheat though did he, he committed an offence which he was rightly punished for & evey other player would do the same thing in that situation, so wind your neck in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we are saying that a deliberate handball (nevermind a diving save) on the goal line by an outfield player is not cheating? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

Oh my gawd, you seriously don't get it do you ?!

Imagine being in a position to stop an extremely probable World Cup QF winning goal in the dieing moments of the game and choosing NOT to do so. Now that would be controversial and would be letting down his teammates and all their supporters, heck in some ways the nation.

I assure you that there are very few football fans that don't, after any sort of consideration, think he was right and would want one of their players to do the same.

Diving without contact is 'cheating', blatantly handling the ball to prevent an otherwise certain goal is simply breaking a common law of the game, and it was dealt with under the laws of the game. Sending off and penalty. Do you consider any foul to be 'cheating' ?? Blatant handling of the ball to stop its passage is neither 'cheating' or 'dodgy' !

I am no Liverpool supporter and certainly not a Uruguay supporter, I am simply a long time keen football supporter. But I do find it quite extraordinary that 4 years on some folk still come up with this sort of stuff and in the football forum.

Was a bloody good save ! ( in every sense )
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All players cheat, be it claiming a throw when they know it came off them last, diving to win a penalty or holding on to a attacker at a corner.

It's not cheating however if the referee spots it and deals with it accordingly. Suarez was sent off and Ghana awarded a penalty.

I would be more disappointed if a player didn't handle the ball in that situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    :cry:
    RotMojo wrote: »
    So we are saying that a deliberate handball (nevermind a diving save) on the goal line by an outfield player is not cheating? lol

It was a very understandable blatant foul, and was dealt with appropriately.

All a bit more straightforward than Oxlade-Chamberlain, rather less crucially, recently diving full length to stop a ball that was actually missing, and then the wrong player getting sent off.

Did I miss the vilification of Oxlade-Chamberlain ?? ( apart from maybe being a bit silly ).

Or maybe different standards apply when it's Suarez and Uruguay denying Ghana.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez didn't make Gyan miss that penalty.

The only people who denied Ghana a semi final spot are those who missed the penalties.

Equally I seem to have missed the vilification of Phil Neville. (Well apart from me because it was Lucas he saved from).