Options

What is the difference between a PC and a PCSO?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
Forum Member
Can someone please explain as I am slightly confused and it is sometimes difficult to tell them apart from a distance.

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a PCSO has as much authority pretty much as anyone else and normally they have blue shoulders so basically they're a cheap police force without the power which is why quite often they get paired up with a copper who actually does have the legal powers, there was a thing where in london to stop people from having knife fights they had pcso's asking people they thought were dodgy to submit to a search when leaving a tube station, the thing was that refusing the request basically would mean a proper copper would come in and use their legal powers to search you
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is real and one isn't!
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    There are only CSOs. They add the P bit to make them sound more powerful than they are, fooling you into thinking they're real police officers when they bluster or intimidate you.

It's a bit like the YTS - cheap labour for the industry and often second rate work for those on the receiving end.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Can someone please explain as I am slightly confused and it is sometimes difficult to tell them apart from a distance.

'SO'

• Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    One is real and one isn't!

One is a total **** and the other is training to become one!:)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCSOs are paid less than PCs, so it's a good way of getting more eyes on the ground and dealing with more minor incidents, whilst saving money.
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »

:D That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread!
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About five grand a year.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PCSOs are paid less than PCs, so it's a good way of getting more eyes on the ground and dealing with more minor incidents, whilst saving money.

That's actually a big part of it, and Pcso's are now doing much more than they were originally intended to do, because it is cheaper.

The Govt have also tried to recruit stacks of Specials, which is even cheaper, and they have full Police powers.

Many Police budgets are being cut every year, and some forces are really struggling to come anywhere close to doing a proper job these days.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    You can tell which ones have the power.
    It's the ones that people don't walk up to and openly mock to their face.