The Great War on BBC4

GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
Forum Member
Anyone know what's happened to this? It only got 6 episodes in out of 26 and wasn't on last week and isn't on this week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04plbqn/episodes/guide

Has it just stopped for Christmas? I hope they are going to show the rest of it as it was quite superb.

Comments

• Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did announce that they were having a break. I fear that they are going to space the episodes out until November 2018. I hope not. It would make more sense to have shown it all now and then again run the lot to mark the anniversary of the end of the war.

All the interviews were fascinating. The guy who was a young officer when he served as interpreter so that the French and English generals could talk to each other was particularly interesting. He did the same job twenty five years later, and again played a key role.
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    That would be daft if they were to do that; it's a series, it really needs to be shown as a whole.
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Hurrah, it's back tonight at 7pm on BBC4. It was just a little break rather than stringing it out for 4 years. Phew!

That will go nicely after a cracking series on BBC1 NI at 6pm called "Ireland's Great War". Really insightful, I'm glad I stumbled across it by accident.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Hurrah, it's back tonight at 7pm on BBC4. It was just a little break rather than stringing it out for 4 years. Phew!

That will go nicely after a cracking series on BBC1 NI at 6pm called "Ireland's Great War". Really insightful, I'm glad I stumbled across it by accident.

There seem to have been some excellent regional programmes about WWI, I hope they try to ensure that they all get a showing on network. BBC Scotland has done several and some of the ones on BBC Alba have been very good.