Broadchurch - Series 2

Comments

• primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it doesn't really make sense that he would suddenly change his plea 5 minutes after he spoke to his counsel. Especially if there is supposed to be so much overwhelming evidence against him. It feels like his new lawyer will find out about Tenants previous case and what he's up to with Eve Myles and use that to discredit his reputation and testimony.

I'm getting a deja vu to Tennant's other series The Escape Artist, where an obviously guilty murderer (killed his wife) was let go. Happily, he hunted him down and dispatched him.

Any of you think this show is setting up the audience simply for the sensationalistic charge of it all?

I felt played by The Missing, I hope this doesn't turn out the same way. The good thing is that we won't get it across the pond until loooong after I've read the ending here.:D
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting a deja vu to Tennant's other series The Escape Artist, where an obviously guilty murderer (killed his wife) was let go. Happily, he hunted him down and dispatched him.

Any of you think this show is setting up the audience simply for the sensationalistic charge of it all?

I felt played by The Missing, I hope this doesn't turn out the same way. The good thing is that we won't get it across the pond until loooong after I've read the ending here.:D

OMG I hope it's not going to get as far fetched as The Escape Artist. That was just farcical.
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this has been posted in here already, but I saw it in another thread - I don't know if it means anything re Tom's character?
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been posted in here already, but I saw it in another thread - I don't know if it means anything re Tom's character?
    Could be a typo?
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    I posted that.

I hate spoilers and was certainly not looking for one but having seen it, I think that it is unlikely to be a mistake and probably does tell us something about the next episode. Of course I hope that it is just a mistake - it is great to watch a programme not knowing anything about what is going to happen.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    I keep wondering how Maggie the newspaper editor knows Charlotte Rampling's character. Are they sisters, perhaps?
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I posted that.

I hate spoilers and was certainly not looking for one but having seen it, I think that it is unlikely to be a mistake and probably does tell us something about the next episode. Of course I hope that it is just a mistake - it is great to watch a programme not knowing anything about what is going to happen.

IMDb is unreliable. Anyone can edit it - it's not an accurate source.
    I've put this spoiler tags though I don't think it needs to be.

This is the cast list for ep2, which comes from the press office:

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ddg8yr/broadchurch--series-2---episode-2

Worth noting that Joe (Matthew Gravelle) wasn't listed anywhere for ep1 and the full series cast hasn't been confirmed.
    wuffles wrote: »
    I keep wondering how Maggie the newspaper editor knows Charlotte Rampling's character. Are they sisters, perhaps?

I thought they might be sisters. It was made clear that Jocelyn was originally from Broadchurch and had come back "home" rather than simply retiring to the seaside. I wonder what happened to her to make her so aloof and withdrawn - not another child murder case that went wrong, I hope!
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch series one, but I've been meaning to ever since I read that a lot of it was filmed in West Bay. I've only ever holidayed there once, for a week in the most horrendous weather (Euro 2012 week), but that place grabbed a bit of my heart and kept it. Lovely location, lovely people. Sadly, the rest of the family complained that there wasn't much there and are adamant we won't be going back.

With regard to whether West Bay has a sandy beach, it does. It's about three foot wide from front to back when the tide is out, with pretty much nowhere to stand at all when the tide is in. It was covered in washed up debris while we were there (the toilet brush still in it's holder springs to mind!). Across the harbour is the much bigger 'golden' beach that the brochure promised us. We assumed this was sand, but it's covered in big yellow stone chippings, which as far as I could tell were artificial flood defences rather than natural pebbles. We called it the Travis Perkins beach :) This is the one overshadowed by those mighty cliffs.

Back to the program, I still haven't watched the first series (and will probably catch up via the book), but I've read up on the background and think I'm up to speed with what's going on.

The bit that pulled me up short was the exhumation of the body. I thought that only ever happened if foul play was not suspected until after the burial, if foul play was always suspected but there had been significant advances in forensic techniques (I'm talking a period of years here), or if there had been new evidence. Which there hasn't been as far as I can tell, so I don't see why they would be putting the family through it. Surely they'd collected all the evidence they could use from the body while seeking a suspect, and one man's denial would not give sufficient cause to believe the body could yield any more?

I'd say that the accents are generic West Country. I only know the Dorset accent through my father-in-law and through holidays so can't claim to be wildly familiar with it, but I do know Bristolian accents as that's where I'm from, and they always stand out a mile to me on TV. Even when people aren't saying 'gert lush' and being portrayed with the Suspension Bridge behind them for the benefit of people who think we can all see it from our bedroom windows :)

I loved the 'do you want a hug' scene and thought that the program has been a little bit lighter in places than I expected it to be so far. I imagine the first series was much more harrowing.
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch series one, but I've been meaning to ever since I read that a lot of it was filmed in West Bay. I've only ever holidayed there once, for a week in the most horrendous weather (Euro 2012 week), but that place grabbed a bit of my heart and kept it. Lovely location, lovely people. Sadly, the rest of the family complained that there wasn't much there and are adamant we won't be going back..........

Naught (sorry, just always wanted to use it since D&P) to do with the show, but on that, GloriaSnockers (and you probably hear this all the time), but a couple of us Yanks on one of the few remaining boards across the pond where we can discuss UK shows are always over the moon for locations in these shows. I myself want a caravan on a coastal city.

A friend likes country cottages as in Sherlock's wedding locale. Lots of yellow and flowers and greenery and puffy furniture.

Me, I like the guy's hut on the beach in the first episode of the new Vera.:D
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch series one, but I've been meaning to ever since I read that a lot of it was filmed in West Bay. I've only ever holidayed there once, for a week in the most horrendous weather (Euro 2012 week), but that place grabbed a bit of my heart and kept it. Lovely location, lovely people. Sadly, the rest of the family complained that there wasn't much there and are adamant we won't be going back.

With regard to whether West Bay has a sandy beach, it does. It's about three foot wide from front to back when the tide is out, with pretty much nowhere to stand at all when the tide is in. It was covered in washed up debris while we were there (the toilet brush still in it's holder springs to mind!). Across the harbour is the much bigger 'golden' beach that the brochure promised us. We assumed this was sand, but it's covered in big yellow stone chippings, which as far as I could tell were artificial flood defences rather than natural pebbles. We called it the Travis Perkins beach :) This is the one overshadowed by those mighty cliffs.

Back to the program, I still haven't watched the first series (and will probably catch up via the book), but I've read up on the background and think I'm up to speed with what's going on.

The bit that pulled me up short was the exhumation of the body. I thought that only ever happened if foul play was not suspected until after the burial, if foul play was always suspected but there had been significant advances in forensic techniques (I'm talking a period of years here), or if there had been new evidence. Which there hasn't been as far as I can tell, so I don't see why they would be putting the family through it. Surely they'd collected all the evidence they could use from the body while seeking a suspect, and one man's denial would not give sufficient cause to believe the body could yield any more?

I'd say that the accents are generic West Country. I only know the Dorset accent through my father-in-law and through holidays so can't claim to be wildly familiar with it, but I do know Bristolian accents as that's where I'm from, and they always stand out a mile to me on TV. Even when people aren't saying 'gert lush' and being portrayed with the Suspension Bridge behind them for the benefit of people who think we can all see it from our bedroom windows :)

I loved the 'do you want a hug' scene and thought that the program has been a little bit lighter in places than I expected it to be so far. I imagine the first series was much more harrowing.

I've been to Dorset alot but can't remember going to West Bay. I love Charmouth, Lyme Regis, Poole and Christchurch. Have to say in general though, the west country for me is the best place to go!!! Just watching Broadchurch makes me want to get down that way again!

Have to say, although I often have holidayed in Dorset/Devon/Cornwall, I don't think I'd recognise what accent came from where and whether the actors doing it were particularly bad. Unless it was some real OTT job!

It did seem a bit strange they exhumed the body, unless we're meant to believe that maybe there was something missed, after all Sharon was meant to be reviewing all the evidence and they did seem to think they had a case. I assume if they can prove they can get something from the body that is seen as new evidence, they'd be allowed to? I have no idea by the by (incase you hadn't noticed!)

I love the relationship between Hardy and Miller, as I said before, he brings out the best sarcasm in her!!! I think the actors work really well together.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone put some kind of timescale on the events of series 1 and series 2 please. I'm sure when Joe was entering his plea it said he murdered Danny in July 2013, yet the first series was on TV in early 2013. What are the supposed timescales here?

Was this discussed already? If not how did nobody else notice this?
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Can someone put some kind of timescale on the events of series 1 and series 2 please. I'm sure when Joe was entering his plea it said he murdered Danny in July 2013, yet the first series was on TV in early 2013. What are the supposed timescales here?

Was this discussed already? If not how did nobody else notice this?

I noticed - I just put it down to 'artistic licence'.

Was a date ever mentioned in S1? I know there was a lot of analysis (on here!) of the text messages Tom had on his phone, so they might have showed a date. Obviously the murder happened in July, and the series ended around September as Chloe was back at school, not forgetting the paintball trip earlier that year in March! But maybe the year wasn't explicitly mentioned.
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the dates

Danny was murdered July 2013

There is a line somewhere ( cant remember who said it ) where one of the characters complains that it is 3 months on from the murder and no one has been charged. Just after that, Joe is charged and Series One ends.
    So must have been October/early November when it ended.

I read somewhere that the cast were asked not to talk about what date/timescale Series 2 is set in, when they were giving interviews.

But, as Beth was * just * pregnant in July 2013 and looks to be about 8 months or so to me, then it must be about February 2014 at the moment ?
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    What's confusing me is that, if Beth was in the early stages of pregnancy when Danny was killed in July, her baby would have been due some time the following Spring. But she's still only about 7-8 months pregnant and it seems to be quite Summery weather. Maggie even gave out to Charlotte Rampling's character for having the heating on when it was such a beautiful sunny day.
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    What's confusing me is that, if Beth was in the early stages of pregnancy when Danny was killed in July, her baby would have been due some time the following Spring. But she's still only about 7-8 months pregnant and it seems to be quite Summery weather. Maggie even gave out to Charlotte Rampling's character for having the heating on when it was such a beautiful sunny day.

But then that's the West Country for you, we do get different weather from the rest of the country. Today, for instance, has been gorgeous here in west Cornwall: bright sunshine and blue skies, not the least bit cold, and lots of camellias, primroses etc in full bloom.

Mind you, yesterday was as grey and grim as could be, and it poured for most of the day.

But people were actually out on the beach sunbathing on Christmas Day, so things just are different down this way.
    Forum Member
    By the way, nothing to do with the weather, but while I think of it: I know quite a few people on here are convinced that Joe is unquestionably guilty and there's no point in even considering the possibility of another explanation of his confession.

I don't agree with them; I think it's very much on the cards that his 'confession' will now turn out to have been partly or completely untrue and that he will have been shielding someone else or concealing part of the true story for some reason.

One thing which particularly struck me, when I rewatched this episode last night, was the slight emphasis he put on the word 'killer' when he said to his lawyer, 'I can't go to prison as a child KILLER'.

I suppose that could just be his accent, but I thought it could be intentional and significant. A child something, maybe, but not a child killer: that's what he seemed to me to be saying.
    Forum Member
    Also just now remembered what a total damp squib Aunt Lucy's 'evidence' - which she got Ellie to pay a packet for near the end of the last series - turned out to be. Apparently she just saw a shadowy figure dumping something in a dustbin down the road from Ellie's house, which was hardly a big deal or turned out at the time to have any relevance or usefulness to anything at all.

But now she is expecting to have to give evidence in the trial, so I firmly expect that her story will turn out to have a lot more to it than met the eye at the time.
    Forum Member
    Finally, I also wonder whether, if the person who says Broadchurch was originally conceived as three series is right, there is any point at all on speculating about the outcome of this one, as all the nice neat conclusions and everything we think we know will probably be turned upside down yet again in Series Three? :o
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode season 1 on kickass torrents. Really good, going to watch the rest now even though i know who the killer is (or seems to be !).
    Keeps you guessing whats going to happen next.
  • Pamela_Armstro1Pamela_Armstro1 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    I watched the first episode season 1 on kickass torrents. Really good, going to watch the rest now even though i know who the killer is (or seems to be !).
    Keeps you guessing whats going to happen next.

Don't bet on that. It's odds on that they filmed three different endings. Any sense that the internet is getting close and they will merely switch to a different denouement
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    Finally, I also wonder whether, if the person who says Broadchurch was originally conceived as three series is right, there is any point at all on speculating about the outcome of this one, as all the nice neat conclusions and everything we think we know will probably be turned upside down yet again in Series Three? :o

Yes, it was was original pitched to ITV as 3 series but was written so that there was a reasonable ending after the first in case it wasn't renewed. When the first one was received so well ITV commissioned series 2 and 3.

Just saw the opener this evening and thought it was a good start. The problem it has it that series 1 came out of nowhere (it was an ITV drama after all!) but this series will have so much expectation attached to it that it is sure to disappoint some people.
  • Soul SiestaSoul Siesta Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    In the final episode of Series one Mark went to speak to Joe through the shutter in the door of his police cell. Mark said something about killing Tom to get revenge. The scenes between Mark and Tom in the caravan Series two may be intended to link to that threat.
  • Kim PKim P Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't watched series 1 but after watching the 1st episode of series 2 thought I better so had a marathon on catchup. Glad I did as you definitely get more out of it. I am now hooked!

I agree with an poster regarding accepting the story line for what it is. It's a light entertainment show not a training vehicle for the CPS. I work in law enforcement and the show would be bogged down and unworkable if every single aspect was procedurally accurate.

Regarding Steve
    Amethyzt wrote: »

so the comments he gave to Beth about water and the boat could be dismissed by Alec as being a high probability, being as BC is on the coast and lots of boats around....... but the pendant bit was different, having been taken from Alec's earlier case.

He also told Alec he'd been to Broadchurch before and later in the series Alec told a woman (think it was Ellie) that he has holidayed there as a kid so had messages on three separate events.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Re the dates

Danny was murdered July 2013

There is a line somewhere ( cant remember who said it ) where one of the characters complains that it is 3 months on from the murder and no one has been charged. Just after that, Joe is charged and Series One ends.
    So must have been October/early November when it ended.

I read somewhere that the cast were asked not to talk about what date/timescale Series 2 is set in, when they were giving interviews.

But, as Beth was * just * pregnant in July 2013 and looks to be about 8 months or so to me, then it must be about February 2014 at the moment ?

The first series was broadcast early 2013 though. I don't believe it was set in the future was it?
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Don't bet on that. It's odds on that they filmed three different endings. Any sense that the internet is getting close and they will merely switch to a different denouement

What?! Series 1 has already been broadcast with an ending - the Internet isn't going to provide 3 endings for a programme that has already been shown just in case!