Options

Eurovision 2015 - The UK entry...

Comments

• Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets start the rumours/speculation ball rolling now:

- The Saturdays: seemingly close to the chop yet Frankie is pregnant again so may not be a good option

- Natasha Bedingfield: a possible return to the spotlight and has just released a charity single

- Nerina Pallot: talented songwriter could provide something more sophisticated

- Charlotte Church: anything close to Moodswings would be amazing

- Alexandra Burke: needs a lift in career and is unsigned at the moment

- Pixie Lott: riding a wave after Strictly Come Dancing

- S Club 7: to tie in with their comeback tour

- BBC Introducing Act: although Molly was robbed!
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will be getting an unknown again most probably unless someone big has come forward or one of the record companies has let one of their artists do it. So nice not to have a silly season this year, although Spain seems to have that all wrapped up this year.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Lauren Harries have a new song out? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMu_Z4j-4xs
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »

She looks like Marilyn Monroe got sucked through a jet engine, I can't believe she's only in her mid-30s she does not look well at all. :o

Sound a little bit 1980s, the sort of song you'd hear in a department store lift.
  • Options
    Violetta GrangeVioletta Grange Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »

Lauren submitted that song to the BBC, rumour has it :)

I spoke to an Australian artist about doing Eurovision and her submitting her song; she showed interest and didn't know the BBC accepted foreign artists. Sadly the deadline was a while ago.
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the suggestion of S Club 7 representing us, but I doubt it would happen.
  • Options
    Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the suggestion of S Club 7 representing us, but I doubt it would happen.

The problem with them is we would have to lose one due to the 'only six performers allowed on stage' rule. Who would have to miss out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with them is we would have to lose one due to the 'only six performers allowed on stage' rule. Who would have to miss out?

Of course that completely slipped my mind!
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    On s club 7. The obvious one to drop is Jo, she was dire on children in need.

I expect our entry to be an unknown and will do better than last year.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Just to Chuck a facebook rumour in the mix, Olly Murs and an unknown duet partner (possibly unknown) akin to.troublemaker etc.... Might do very well, very wishful thinking.though
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I for one am glad the BBC seem to be sticking to the route of unknown talent/internal selection.

As others have said, Molly was a step in the right direction and I think it was a combo of little things on the night that unfortunately worked against her.

I think the way the UK handled the whole thing in 2014 maybe brought back a bit of respect that some international fans had lost for us, and that could only be a good thing. To send an act like S Club 7 now would be a terrible mistake.

I'm confident we'll get there eventually, it just might take a while for us to find our new winning sound :) excited to hear our choice for 2015!
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Just to Chuck a facebook rumour in the mix, Olly Murs and an unknown duet partner (possibly unknown) akin to.troublemaker etc.... Might do very well, very wishful thinking.though

That would be great, but it's highly unlikely given he still has a strong connection with The X Factor and ITV. He is getting good deals with ITV, even his own 'A Night With' shows! We need someone to follow in the footsteps of Molly, someone who just needs to connect more and pull off a live performance. She was like a rabbit in headlights :D
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Paul left before the group disbanded and they became a 6-piece for a while... so probably him.

I only would like them to do it due to their large European fanbase and he fact that people have been itching for a reunion forever!

But I much prefer the new BBC selection policy and agree that the 'Molly' way will find us success eventually.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know how many entries we got?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may tell us or they may not, this is the BBC though, but I expect it to be at least 200 but probably not much higher since its only for an internal selection and the fact that other methods are being used as well might put people off
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When do we normally find out? isnt it march sometime?!?! im guessing it will be through the red button service again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When do we normally find out? isnt it march sometime?!?! im guessing it will be through the red button service again

Probably, Mid-March again. We are usually one of the last to announce our entrant sadly, but maybe that's a good thing. Hope we get more details from the BBC and/or Guy Freeman soon. :)
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish some of us could be on the selection panel or at least give our opinions.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

Kinda Hoping the reveal gets a BBC One slot (Doctor Who did) but I'm not holding my breath (considering its one of their highest rating shows of the year they could do more to promote it)
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to be something Euro-clubby and anthemic. those types always do well. We should have had scouts on 18-30 holidays throughout the med, sampled something and then came back and replicated it.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    It needs to be something Euro-clubby and anthemic. those types always do well. We should have had scouts on 18-30 holidays throughout the med, sampled something and then came back and replicated it.

Not necessarily. The 2014 top three were nothing like that kind of genre; we had a big classic diva ballad, a modern folk-inspired ballad and a high production pop ballad.

I think the song and performer just have to be really good, no specific genre or type. Last year especially proved that no one should be afraid to try something new.

When you send something "because this kind of stuff always does well at eurovision", that's usually when you end up not doing so well!
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the British public proved time and time again they were absolutely useless at picking our entry. If left to the public, they would always prefer a terrible novelty act than a half decent song. Although, generally speaking, our songs to choose from have always been a pretty mediocre standard (im talking last decade) - i still get nightmares about Brian Harvey.

Although, Molly didnt really do much better last year than our normal picks - though i put that down to the song sounding really dull on the night, its actually quite a good song in recorded form. I dont know what the BBC have to do to pick a good song, i guess it is as simple as someone writing one and putting it in for consideration, but Eurovision is a bit of a poisioned chalice in the eyes of the uk. Its difficult to get a big name songwriter to pen something for Eurovision for the uk. It would be good if they could do a deal with a fairly big artist (obviously not a list - probably b or c list) whereby if they do Eurovision, the artist is guarenteed a certain number of plays and appearences for the song and a follow up single, but difficult to manage as radio 1 arent on board.

I dont envy the job of the Beeb with this one, i must say.

The public chose Jade Ewan, our best result for years. That's much better than anything the bbc has picked in recent years. I wouldn't completely write the public off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    The public chose Jade Ewan, our best result for years. That's much better than anything the bbc has picked in recent years. I wouldn't completely write the public off.

It's the only right decision we have made though, and even then you could tell ALW wanted her to win from the start. She was a student of his before hand, and she didn't even have to go through the audition process like the others if I remember correctly. The reason she did so well though, was to do with the amount of touring and hype she created - not to mention the man was on stage with her. How she came 5th after being batted in the face by a violin is beyond me! :D:D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    AaronWx wrote: »

They chose the singer yes - but not the song. It's a song contest!

I remember when they picked Scooch over Cyndis great power ballad which could have done well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we get something Sia-esque this year both in style and song