Options

Setting up a phone for a child - Jelly Bean

kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just bought a galaxy s3 mini for my son. Does anyone have any advice or experience in setting up a phone for a child.

I will not be providing payment details on the phone so he will not be able to purchase anything, but I wasn't sure if there were any other useful settings to be aware of.

Comments

• Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is he?

Naturally, he'll have full and deeply hide-able internet in his pocket, so usual precautions there should apply.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    What a waste of money. It is only going to get lost or stolen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    How old is he?

Naturally, he'll have full and deeply hide-able internet in his pocket, so usual precautions there should apply.

They are 10. Yeah, I'm going to put a reasonable amount of control on Internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a waste of money. It is only going to get lost or stolen.

Don't worry, I'm not asking you to pay. I'm not expecting it to be stolen, but its insured.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the play store you can set ratings and a pin for downloads. You don't have to use a credit card to pay, you can get google play store vouchers if needed.

Check out Cerberus app, its a security come tracking app.... Highly recommend by many.

Also, mobiflock, this allows tracking too but also gives a web interface for checking incoming and outgoing calls and records SMS too. Allows you to remotely block calls/sms to and from numbers you choose.

There is also, I think, k9 web protection that blocks normal browsers and all surfing must be doe through its own browser which should cut out most unsuitable sites
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the play store you can set ratings and a pin for downloads. You don't have to use a credit card to pay, you can get google play store vouchers if needed.

Check out Cerberus app, its a security come tracking app.... Highly recommend by many.

Also, mobiflock, this allows tracking too but also gives a web interface for checking incoming and outgoing calls and records SMS too. Allows you to remotely block calls/sms to and from numbers you choose.

There is also, I think, k9 web protection that blocks normal browsers and all surfing must be doe through its own browser which should cut out most unsuitable sites

That's really helpful, many thanks.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung have a tracking service built into their handsets, called Samsung Dive.
    It allows you to track, lock and wipe the handset as well as forcing it to sound an alarm even if it's on silent and you can also remotely access call logs.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cerebus FTW every time.

It's absolutely amazing what you can do with that :)
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A phone for a ten year old? Far too young in my opinion, let them use the landline if needed, far easier to have parental control over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    A phone for a ten year old? Far too young in my opinion, let them use the landline if needed, far easier to have parental control over.

Well, it is a dilemma I had to deal with. At 10 years old I use to run free around my local area, sometimes for hours, with no way of either contacting or being contacted by anyone.

Unfortunately in this modern world, I wish my child to have a similar freedom, but with the added knowledge that we can talk or message at any time.

Technology does bring some advantages.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Different times now, not sure if I would give a 10 years old a smart phone mind you, but having a phone got to be a good thing.
    Saying that I did not go far when I was ten, I was to allowed to.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Well, it is a dilemma I had to deal with. At 10 years old I use to run free around my local area, sometimes for hours, with no way of either contacting or being contacted by anyone.

Unfortunately in this modern world, I wish my child to have a similar freedom, but with the added knowledge that we can talk or message at any time.

Technology does bring some advantages.

Don't live in fear, statistically children are safer now than fifty years ago but with modern media we hear the (few) horror stories more than back then. I'm all for children embracing technology, my grand children are all under ten and are all an absolute wizz on computers but they won't be having phones until senior school at the earliest. They are lucky though, they have a grand dad with land and woods they and their chums can play in;) I had nine round on Saturday, they left me drained of energy lol
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

A phone can be useful but a basic feature phone only for voice calls would do for kids. They don't need internet access at that age.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your experience rally tells us you should have bought an iPhone 4.
    Your own experience with Samsung says you should have bought an iPhone.

The main problem you had with your Ace was no upgrade to the latest ROM. Here you might end up having that very same problem unless you use a custom ROM.

Send it back.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your right, they dont need a smart phone at that age.... but a smart phone is useful (using the apps listed above by myself and others) so that the parents can keep a track on their whereabouts or their usage (incl calls/texts etc). With a dumb phone, they cant do that.

You cant judge everyone and their situations the same as what you find yourself in. For instance, our daughter can easily lose track of time when out playing. She struggles on the concept of time big style. So we cant ask her to come back home at 8pm, or in an hour. Without her having a phone, that would mean my wife having to wake the wee man up and walk the local streets to find her. She did use walkie talkies for some time when she was younger but due to the size it would be hard to carry.

At least now, with an android phone, we can call her, check on cerberus where she is, check (if needed - rarely) where she has been, make the phone ring loudly if shes accidently left it on silent, using Mobiflock check back her call/text history to ensure there is no nasty messages been sent/received etc and use the Play Store filters/PIN to stop her downloading paid apps or apps rated as over her age range (facebook etc).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Your experience rally tells us you should have bought an iPhone 4.
    Your own experience with Samsung says you should have bought an iPhone.

The main problem you had with your Ace was no upgrade to the latest ROM. Here you might end up having that very same problem unless you use a custom ROM.

Send it back.

I'm entertained by the fact you think I would take advice from you;)

I'm happy with my purchase and as the phone has jelly bean I think I will be ok until samsung get round to updating it in a couple of years time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't live in fear, statistically children are safer now than fifty years ago but with modern media we hear the (few) horror stories more than back then. I'm all for children embracing technology, my grand children are all under ten and are all an absolute wizz on computers but they won't be having phones until senior school at the earliest. They are lucky though, they have a grand dad with land and woods they and their chums can play in;) I had nine round on Saturday, they left me drained of energy lol

I don't live in fear whatsoever. However for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds, I didn't hesitate to spend it to improve safety.

And I have a football pitch in my garden , so I'm use to having many kids running around. Most have smartphones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your right, they dont need a smart phone at that age.... but a smart phone is useful (using the apps listed above by myself and others) so that the parents can keep a track on their whereabouts or their usage (incl calls/texts etc). With a dumb phone, they cant do that.

You cant judge everyone and their situations the same as what you find yourself in. For instance, our daughter can easily lose track of time when out playing. She struggles on the concept of time big style. So we cant ask her to come back home at 8pm, or in an hour. Without her having a phone, that would mean my wife having to wake the wee man up and walk the local streets to find her. She did use walkie talkies for some time when she was younger but due to the size it would be hard to carry.

At least now, with an android phone, we can call her, check on cerberus where she is, check (if needed - rarely) where she has been, make the phone ring loudly if shes accidently left it on silent, using Mobiflock check back her call/text history to ensure there is no nasty messages been sent/received etc and use the Play Store filters/PIN to stop her downloading paid apps or apps rated as over her age range (facebook etc).

All of the above applies to my children :)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    think I will be ok until samsung get round to updating it in a couple of years time.

Well the buzz about 4.3 is the 'kids mode'. Your timing seems all wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well the buzz about 4.3 is the 'kids mode'. Your timing seems all wrong.

No, I'm fine. I received some very useful information from this very thread.