Buffy The Vampire Slayer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having never seen this movie before, I decided to have a peak at it on BBC1 earlier tonight, and it was as bad as I expected, but I couldn't help thinking Kristy Swanson made a far better Buffy than Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I have never watched much of the TV show either, but it seemed to me that Swanson had the right kind of attitude and look, and she was far more athletic and could kick, jump, and punch as well as any female action hero.

Gellar, on the other hand, is like a less attractive, but equally dull, version of Cat Deeley. She's literally the poster girl for how to run, punch, and kick like a girl, and she has never been a believable action hero to me.

Comments

• Nadias_ballsNadias_balls Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the comments you made about Sarah Michelle Geller (although you'll probably have legions of her fans arguing it, lol) but I can't agree with you about Swanson being the better action hero. The "action" in the BTVS movie was ridiculous. Too static, too slow and there was far too much use of that ridiculous cartwheel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I thought the action in the movie was very uninspired, but Swanson looked capable and athletic doing what was asked of her, where Gellar would have been outright embarressing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!!!!! Sarah Michelle Gellar's Better For The Role. She's The Best The Movie Was Shit Through And Through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree I prefer Swanson as Buffy. Sutherland also was a good character, Merrick I think his name, was this character in the series?
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with you on this one TenaciousG. I got to the end of this and thought that Swanson would actually have made a really good Buffy even in the TV series which had much better effects/fight sequences and story lines.

You know aside from ridiculous looking vampires & crap fights this film never really jumps the shark until the last act, which is diabolical. The awfulness kicks off around the bit where Paul Reubens vampire won't lie down and then it all just gets incredibly silly. As the TV series proved there was a damn good film in there trying to get out.
  • Jevo90Jevo90 Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Je deteste la "Buffy"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know, the lab results aren't back yet.
    Sarah Michelle Gellar's Better For The Role.
    Doubt it.
    She's The Best
    Nah.
    The Movie Was Shit Through And Through.
    Yes, but that's got nothing to do with Swanson. Anyway, thanks for weighing in with those insightful comments.
    Eggshell wrote:
    Agree with you on this one TenaciousG. I got to the end of this and thought that Swanson would actually have made a really good Buffy even in the TV series which had much better effects/fight sequences and story lines.
    I didn't watch it all the way to the end, but it certainly would have been interesting to see what Swanson would have been like with a proper script and director. I wonder if she was ever considered for the TV show? She might have been too old for it, though, but she should have at least been used as a villain, if only for the fun of seeing the real Buffy spank Gellar :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vellocet wrote:
    I agree I prefer Swanson as Buffy. Sutherland also was a good character, Merrick I think his name, was this character in the series?

No there wasn't...when Buffy is told she is the slayer there is a character much like Merrick who tells her however he is only shown for less than 5 minutes.
    Im sorry Sarah Michelle geller makes a much better Buffy and the film was a load of sh**e what was with the vampires being able to float on air!!

O and by the way...Joss whedon the creator of Buffy walked out on set because he didnt like the way they were taking it. The show is far more true to whedon's vision
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No there wasn't...when Buffy is told she is the slayer there is a character much like Merrick who tells her however he is only shown for less than 5 minutes.
    Im sorry Sarah Michelle geller makes a much better Buffy and the film was a load of sh**e what was with the vampires being able to float on air!!

O and by the way...Joss whedon the creator of Buffy walked out on set because he didnt like the way they were taking it. The show is far more true to whedon's vision
    Relax, we all agree the movie was crap, and that the show is far superior. The point here is that Gellar is a clown-like Buffy compared to Swanson, certainly when it comes to the physicality required for the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,011
    Forum Member
    Having never seen this movie before, I decided to have a peak at it on BBC1 earlier tonight, and it was as bad as I expected, but I couldn't help thinking Kristy Swanson made a far better Buffy than Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I have never watched much of the TV show either, but it seemed to me that Swanson had the right kind of attitude and look, and she was far more athletic and could kick, jump, and punch as well as any female action hero.

Gellar, on the other hand, is like a less attractive, but equally dull, version of Cat Deeley. She's literally the poster girl for how to run, punch, and kick like a girl, and she has never been a believable action hero to me.

G,

Must we disagree on EVERYTHING?

First it was certain scenes of Superman Returns
    Now its Buffy?

CMON!!!! :p

In regards to Swanson V Gellar Im not that sure. I think that Gellar was PERFECT for a TV option because she really did some great work week in week out where as Swanson didnt do all that much for me TBH!

In regards to the spirit of the character maybe your beef is with the writing and thus maybe the problem was with Head Supremo Joss Whedon?

Just thinking out loud!!!!

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G,

Must we disagree on EVERYTHING?

First it was certain scenes of Superman Returns
    Now its Buffy?

CMON!!!! :p
    Like Lex and Clark, we will end up bitter enemies. You get to be the bald one. ;)
    In regards to the spirit of the character maybe your beef is with the writing and thus maybe the problem was with Head Supremo Joss Whedon?
    It's not the spirit of the character I have a problem with, if anything the spirit of TV Buffy was just right for the character. My issue is with Gellar being a clown-like action hero, and possibly a worse actress than Swanson. From the few Buffy episodes I have seen, it seems to be well crafted TV, so I have no real issues with Whedon in this context.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify my comment that I thought Swanson would make a good Buffy, I think that SMG from an acting point of view was great and there's nothing to suggest Swanson would have been a better actor in the role.

But SMG couldn't run properly to save her life and just didn't quite seem athletic enough for the action pieces.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Did anyone think that the character Pike looked like Spike?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote:
    Just to clarify my comment that I thought Swanson would make a good Buffy, I think that SMG from an acting point of view was great and there's nothing to suggest Swanson would have been a better actor in the role.
    Swanson's range wasn't really tested in the movie, and the two Buffys were very different, so it's hard to say for sure how she would meassure up to Gellar's acting in that particular role, but I always thought Gellar seemed awkward doing emotional stuff, but she was very adept at delivering the Wheadon'esque quirky dialog, and being chummy with the Scooby Gang.

... Isn't that a song?
    Forum Member
    Like Lex and Clark, we will end up bitter enemies. You get to be the bald one. ;)

Well Im guessing Im younger than you and I have a full head of Clark like black hair so Im afraid you get to be bald, but incredibly rich and evil!!!!!
    It's not the spirit of the character I have a problem with, if anything the spirit of TV Buffy was just right for the character. My issue is with Gellar being a clown-like action hero, and possibly a worse actress than Swanson. From the few Buffy episodes I have seen, it seems to be well crafted TV, so I have no real issues with Whedon in this context.

I will admit as somebody who has followed and loved BTVS I think Im far too involved to actually debate this fairly............yes Im a fanboy!!!!

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just looked into it and Donald Sutherlands character was in the series. The characters name is Merrick Jamison-Smythe and was played by Richard Riehle in the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought the film was rather good the first time i saw it way back in 1994 then i saw the tv series how wrong could i have been the tv series kicks the films ass

just a personal side note the person behind the movie was also joss whedon but the people who made the movie didn't like his ideas so they went with their own cast luckily enough he managed to get a spin-off tv show thank god
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there was a conscious decision to go for somebody less athletic for the TV series to underline that Buffy was meant to be a normal girl, not an action hero. They also had to make the character a couple of years younger.

I never thought the fights were that great on Buffy, and it's often a case of seeing SMG with her fists up, then she grows a few inches and puts on a lot of weight and muscle for a couple of minutes of fight, finishing with SMG with her fists up again. :rolleyes: So I kind of agree, though it has to be said had SMG not gone for the famine victim look in the latter series, the fights might have maintained some realism.

But then only somebody who hadn't watched the series would think the action scenes are important.

Truly terrible movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEmberton wrote:
    I think there was a conscious decision to go for somebody less athletic for the TV series to underline that Buffy was meant to be a normal girl, not an action hero.
    Was Buffy ever actually a cheerleader in the series?
    DEmberton wrote:
    But then only somebody who hadn't watched the series would think the action scenes are important.
    Sure, but just because they aren't particularly important doesn't mean they have to be outright bad, and Gellar is just bad when it comes to the physical aspects of the role.
    Forum Member
    oooh oooh

I can answer this one!!!!

She did audition once but then the cheerleaders were being attacked by a witch IIRC and then Cordelia was queen bee so that put a stop to that!
  • _Kazama_TTT_Kazama_TTT Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buffy is SMG's defining role and she is fantastic in it. The TV series was also a lot superior to the movie which I found rather dire, including the girl who plays Buffy in it, not a fan. But the TV series changed my opinion...

Buffy is the only role I've ever seen SMG do a good job.
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buffy is SMG's defining role and she is fantastic in it. The TV series was also a lot superior to the movie which I found rather dire, including the girl who plays Buffy in it, not a fan. But the TV series changed my opinion...

Buffy is the only role I've ever seen SMG do a good job.

I think she's good in "I Know What You Did Last Summer", ironically as the blonde girl that gets chased down an alley and murdered (Joss Whedon's premise for Buffy was what if the blonde girl who looks like the classic horror victim actually turns out to be the thing the monsters fear).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Buffy ever actually a cheerleader in the series?

Sure, but just because they aren't particularly important doesn't mean they have to be outright bad, and Gellar is just bad when it comes to the physical aspects of the role.

She was a cheer leader before she moved to sunnydale and auditioned in sunnydale and was on the team but got kicked off because she was acting oddly due to a witchs spell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vellocet wrote:
    Just looked into it and Donald Sutherlands character was in the series. The characters name is Merrick Jamison-Smythe and was played by Richard Riehle in the series.

Thats what I said! :p:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said he wasnt in the series but a character much like Merrick was :confused::confused: