Options

possibly a stupid question... lending a V+ box?

This is probably a stupid question, and I probably already know the answer, but if I was to go on holiday and not be bothered about recording anything on my V+ while I'm away, could I lend the box to a friend who has a standard box so they could use it for a while? Or would this send info down the fibre-optic wire and end up with both of us having our accounts terminated? Not looking to do anything wrong here, just wondering...!!!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote:
    This is probably a stupid question, and I probably already know the answer, but if I was to go on holiday and not be bothered about recording anything on my V+ while I'm away, could I lend the box to a friend who has a standard box so they could use it for a while? Or would this send info down the fibre-optic wire and end up with both of us having our accounts terminated? Not looking to do anything wrong here, just wondering...!!!

It wont work as your V+ has an IP address and the network would detect this, plus it is against Virgin Media's T&C's :cool:

HTH
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lend him the key to your house instead
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Yes it would work, so long as he's in the same area as you. The important parts are the card and box numbers - as long as these remain together, it will be as if your friend is using your account in his house.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stator wrote:
    lend him the key to your house instead
    jawohl wrote:
    Yes it would work, so long as he's in the same area as you.

Yes, then he woudn't have to travel too far. Or is that not what you meant? :D
  • Options
    Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Yes it should work fine.

I moved house recently and took my old box with me. Plugged in into the cable point and it all worked fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    I moved house recently and took my old box with me. Plugged in into the cable point and it all worked fine.
    This is far different to actually taking the box to another address temporarily. I assume you told Virgin you were moving first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    Yes it should work fine.

Virgin would have done a Move & Transfer on the system so that your STB would work, totally different to what the OP is asking.

:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    totally different to what the OP is asking.
    Didn't I already say that at post #7?:confused:
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took my standard box years ago over to a relatives house who at the time had Analogue Cable from Telewest and I had Telewest Active Digital. The box worked and I lived in Livingston at the time and the relatives lived in Edinburgh.

But when they got Digital installed and i took my box over to try it out as we had more channels than them it only gave you Front Row previews on every channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is far different to actually taking the box to another address temporarily. I assume you told Virgin you were moving first?

No Virgin did not know I was moving house because completion was 12hrs after exchange so i couldn't inform companies I had moved. I moved on the 5th Jan and it wasn't until maybe the 12th that virgin knew I had moved, so yes it is EXACTLY the same as what the original post was referring to, which is using one box in another home
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    No Virgin did not know
    I see you have corrected your original post to include information about eventually telling the Cable company of your change of address. However,with a "Move and Transfer" from Virgin, it is not "exactly the same" at all; the original poster wants to move his box temporarily to a new location which is not allowed by Virgin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG were you born like this or did it develop with age (or is it a lack of age).

You seem to want to contradict every single post I make!!!

And what if I hadn't "corrected" it what would u do and what's it to do with you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    And what if I hadn't "corrected" it what would u do and what's it to do with you
    The point is that you are encouraging people to break Virgin's terms and conditions and this, in turn, is breaking the terms and conditions of this website.
    As for "correcting" you all the time, this wouldn't happen if you didn't constantly post inaccurate information!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The point is that you are encouraging people to break Virgin's terms and conditions and this, in turn, is breaking the terms and conditions of this website.
    As for "correcting" you all the time, this wouldn't happen if you didn't constantly post inaccurate information!

My information was not inaccurate it was spot on.
    And if you are wanted to make sure the T&C are kept in line on this forum why when the original poster posted didn't you jump in then and point out to him though though its possible its against their T&C, instead you waited until I posted so that you could try and get one up on me, though you failed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    It was AFTER you edited your post (or did you think I wouldn't notice that?)
    jez_Gafys wrote:
    And if you are wanted to make sure the T&C are kept in line on this forum why when the original poster posted didn't you jump in then and point out to him?
    Digital Fanatic had already pointed this out to him at post #2; long before you posted!
    Time this ended now.
    In future please try to ensure your posts are accurate first time.
  • Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    And if you are wanted to make sure the T&C are kept in line on this forum why when the original poster posted didn't you jump in then and point out to him though though its possible its against their T&C, instead you waited until I posted so that you could try and get one up on me, though you failed.

..do what I have done and just add him to your ignore list
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris123 wrote:
    ..do what I have done and just add him to your ignore list
    If I'm "ignored" how can you know what I was saying to him?
    (Not that it worries me, of course;) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote:
    No Virgin did not know I was moving house because completion was 12hrs after exchange so i couldn't inform companies I had moved. I moved on the 5th Jan and it wasn't until maybe the 12th that virgin knew I had moved, so yes it is EXACTLY the same as what the original post was referring to, which is using one box in another home
    Probably a better idea than going through the telewest move service. I phoned up a couple weeks before hand and arranged to have my service installed at the new place on the day after i moved in and discontinued at my old address at the same time. Kindly they disconnected me at my old address a week early. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stator wrote:
    Probably a better idea than going through the telewest move service.
    Wiser, surely, to just not give them too miuch notice of your move? Breaking their terms and conditions is never advisable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Rights or wrongs of it - I'd be very dubious about letting it go. What happens if someone borrows it, and it's returned damaged?
    You'll then have to fork out for the repair costs if it's deemed damaged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol wouldn't be much of a friend he he trashed your goods, and then made you pay for them :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiser, surely, to just not give them too miuch notice of your move? Breaking their terms and conditions is never advisable.

If you phone up on the day of the move they are hardly going to be able to send an engineer out the same day to transfer it for you.

You are faced with the choice of booking early on the date you want and maybe end up being disconnected early at your old place, or waiting until you have moved and being without a service for probably a week at least, or move it yourself and have continuity of service. Unless you have no idea what you are doing and somehow hookup your RF cable to the mains the risks are very low. The engiener who comes to do the install certainly wont care if you've connected up existing cables.