Options

3 years on..

Mark FMark F Posts: 54,033
Forum Member
since the end of London 2012 and those wonderful 2 weeks of sporting success.

Will Team GB be able to repeat the record medal haul or even beat it?

With new sports like Rugby 7 and golf coming in maybe there is a chance earning medals in those?

Rowing and sailing seems to be consistent as ever whilst cycling (on the track) has lost a few key names.

Based on last week swimming should be better whilst athletics is a bit up in the air depending on fitness but again a few youngsters coming through..

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that at the moment our expectation across all sports should be high, not as good as London, but probably a bit better than Beijing.

Sports like Rugby and Golf won't be significant, because it is only 2 medals each. The key thing to success in the overall medals table is to be good in as many of the the big multi-medal sports as possible, and since London we have made huge steps forward in at least three of these - gymnastics, swimming and diving. We are certainly a lot down in cycling, though.

If I was a betting man, which I am not, I'd be looking at 50 medals overall, 20 gold, and top 5 in the standard G-S-B medals table.

Handy table here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_Olympics
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say we'll win somewhere between the Beijing & London total too. I think about 55-60 medals overall with number of golds being low 20s. That should be good enough for 4th overall & maybe even 3rd depending on the Russians - as we saw last week their swimming team isn't great and the recent results from Russian athletics champs were not great either which suggests their results there could be hit.

Golf is probably just going to come down to who does best on the day/week and may get surprise winners/medallists plus I'm not sure how seriously the top players are going to take it.

With Rugby 7s it will be interesting to see how the GB teams integrate as they usually play for their separate home nations.
  • Options
    cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is fascinating stuff. I think somewhere between Beijing and London. Here is Infostada's predictions for Rio at this stage.

http://products.infostradasports.com/documentation/vmt/

The predictions are very hit and miss. Probably Pro-American slanted. It's very close between Germany, France, Australia, Britain, and Japan in the top ten. If history tells us anything, in the lottery era Britain has always peaked at the Olympics, and not done as well in the year before.
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's going to be interesting to see how we do, like grassmarket says we're clearly on the up in sports like Gymnastics and Swimming but the one where we've plundered most medals in the last 10 years or so Track Cycling is going to be down in Rio potentially well down, whether we can make up the shortfall in the other sports remains to be seen.