Do sitcoms works without canned laughter

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching Outnumbered the other night and thought if there was an audience watching or laughter was added would it create an effect of you know when to laugh.Its the same with Benidorm anyone got any opinions?

Comments

• ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    I was watching Outnumbered the other night and thought if there was an audience watching or laughter was added would it create an effect of you know when to laugh.Its the same with Benidorm anyone got any opinions?

Canned laughter is a big turnoff. Watched the new sitcom with Caroline Quentin for the first time this week and it'll be the last. What a load of poo, folks supposedly laughing when there was nothing funny to laugh at in the whole sorry half hour.

Outnumbered is class, we're not stupid for goodness sake, we know what's funny and what isn't without being prompted. Mash was shown in the UK minus the audience/canned laughter and it worked and worked very well.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Peep Show is one good example.
    I'm sure that other posters can think of more examples.
  • Charles ICharles I Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Office & Peep Show are the best examples of how it can work very well.
  • Charles ICharles I Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Canned laughter is a big turnoff. Watched the new sitcom with Caroline Quentin for the first time this week and it'll be the last. What a load of poo, folks supposedly laughing when there was nothing funny to laugh at in the whole sorry half hour.

Outnumbered is class, we're not stupid for goodness sake, we know what's funny and what isn't without being prompted. Mash was shown in the UK minus the audience/canned laughter and it worked and worked very well.

..Sometimes it can add to a situation like on Fawlty Towers, Father Ted and Alan Partridge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Scrubs & Arrested Development both worked perfectly without it.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peep Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm are 2 of the best comedy's ever created and neither need canned laughter !!
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless a show is very, very good canned laughter will make me turn off pretty quickly.

Shows without canned laughter

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Always Sunny In Philidelphia
    Peep Show
    The Inbetweeners
    The Office
    Modern Family
    30 Rock

Laugh tracks seems old fashioned nowadays, and a bit desperate.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I don't need either fake or real audience laughter to 'encourage' me to find a sitcom funny.

If it's funny I'll laugh, if it isn't I won't - simple as that.

Some braying idiot soundtrack won't make a jot of difference.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lead Balloon works perfectly without canned laughter.
  • ProVistaProVista Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was so pleased when we first had satellite installed and I realised I could watch MASH again. I was so cross when I turned it on and heard canned laughter. I watched one show and didn't watch any more on satellite.

I don't like it all, especially on shows that are more thought provoking and where the humour is more subtle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I don't need to be told when to laugh. Benidorm was hilarious to begin with but gradually fell in love with itself, yet its not desperate enough to ruin the show with canned laughter. Outnumbered doesn't need canned laughter, it would look so, so, so out of place.
    I can watch sitcoms without the laughter track. 30 Rock and the brilliantly hilarious Community are two prime examples where canned laughter wouldn't fit in at all. Those shows hold their own without laughter tracks.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    I was watching Outnumbered the other night and thought if there was an audience watching or laughter was added would it create an effect of you know when to laugh.
    Part of the theory is that laughter is a social thing, so you are more likely to laugh if you are in a group and can hear others laughing. That's part of why the studio audience laughs so much, to the point where it can seem fake or canned.

A live audience can help the actors too. If they have to pause to let the laughter die before they continue, I guess it would look weird to a TV audience if we couldn't hear the live audience.

For me it sometimes works the opposite way. If I notice a funny joke in a show that the live audience didn't laugh at, it makes me feel the show has hidden depths and I'm the only person to discover them. (I first noticed this with Man About the House, believe it or not.)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laugh tracks are going out of fashion. In a few years they'll be looked back on as just a quaint gimmick.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad sitcoms need canned laughter to flag where the funny bits are meant to be!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canned laughter is added laughter, not a three-camera sitcom shot in front of a live audience, which is a legitimate part of comedy in much the same way as stand-up comedians performing for a live audience also is.

Canned laughter hasn't been used for years in prime time shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it completely depends on the sort of sitcom. It works in comedies such as Red Dwarf as we saw when Back To Earth came out. The lack of a laugh track in that made it feel really empty and disjointed.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I dislike canned laughter too. It is a weak system and people do not want to be spoon fed laughs. Canned laughter can also get in the way of multiple funny scenes as you can easily miss a one liner smothered in "ha ha haa haaa!".

I do find "Life Of Riley" funny in places but last weeks episode was very torpid and I did think several times"why am I watching this?"
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sitcoms just wouldn't work without canned laughter, such as Friends.
  • pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genuine unedited laughter from a live studio audience is ok, but the effect is difficult to mimic with canned laughter. Canned laughter is like an admission of failure.
    If the script is sharp and well delivered with first takes the audience reaction will be enthusiastic and fit the gags/punchlines like a glove. There is also a dynamic in the laughter that canned laughter rarely gets right, ranging from quiet giggling for subtle jokes to screams and applause for the best ones.

A well made comedy either works well without laughter (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Peep Show) or works well with a live studio audience, depending on the style and outside location scenes.

The remake of Reginald Perrin with Martin Clunes was a real dogs dinner. I just couldn't work out what was going on with the laughter. Was it a live studio audience? Was it canned? It just didn't sound right. If I remember right someone on the DS forums said they were at one of the shoots and the audience were just not laughing at the right moments or were too muted, so the eventual broadcast version had the laughter edited and dubbed for better effect.
    If that is true , it didn't work and is the ultimate admission of a show's failure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I understand it the BBC dont allow the use of canned laughter in any of their sitcoms, all they allow is live audience laughter (as mentioned previous the multi camera, studio based taped in front of a live audience type). There has been some debate about whether they allow this to be edited to fit in better with the flow of the programme.

As for whether its needed or not is another matter. Some sitcoms work well with it, and some work better without it.

I do think that because we have had a lot of bad sit coms recently, that some of the blame goes on the fact that there is audience laughter in them, when it is just down to bad writing.

When used well, studio audience laughter can really help a sitcom. Look at the way some of the great american sit coms were produced (and also Dinnerladies). Its performed infront of a studio audience to see what they find funny, and where they laugh (which is hard for a writer to figure out). The writer is on hand watching the live audience reaction, and will tweak bits, re-write lines to make them as funny as possible, before its finally shot for tv. Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, Cheers, Roseanne, Will & Grace, The Cosby Show etc were all filmed this way.

As for the multi can sit coms dieing out, i really dont see that. Yes, the single camera no laugh track comedies are doing well, there are still alot of big hit multi camera ones. Look in the UK, My Family is still one of the highest rated comedies. Look in the USA, yes The Office and Modern Family are doing well, but they are no where near the success of more tradional sitcoms such as Two and a half men, and The Big Bang Theory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Canned laughter is added laughter, not a three-camera sitcom shot in front of a live audience, which is a legitimate part of comedy in much the same way as stand-up comedians performing for a live audience also is.

Canned laughter hasn't been used for years in prime time shows.

Quite. I think some of you need to look at the definition of "canned laughter" as it's rarely used in any of the shows cited. They used a studio audience and that's the antithesis of "canned".
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canned laughter/laughter tracks are inane. Why not have the sounds of an audience crying during emotional dramas, screaming at horror films, and fervently masturbating to scenes of nudity and sex.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outnumbered is class, we're not stupid for goodness sake, we know what's funny and what isn't without being prompted.

Absolutely correct.

And there's nothing worse than hearing a studio audience shrieking away when there was nothing that appeared to be even remotely funny (yes, it demonstrates that humour is subjective).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC uses live audiences when there's a big actor/actress involved. It helps create excitement and momentum for their show.

They also hire professional stand-up comedians to loosen up the audience. In between each take, there's a pro working the crowd, making sure everyone is in a chirpy mood.

Canned laughter is only used these days for Scooby Doo and children's sitcoms (like Hannah Montana, for example). I highly doubt if a star of Quentin's calibre would be subject to a laugh track....
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the sitcom, some sitcoms like Scrubs and M*A*S*H, audience laughter would seem out of place due to the setting of those shows but for other sitcoms like Miranda or The Big Bang Theory, the audience laughter adds to the show. You don't seem to the same complaints about audience laughter in other forms of comedy like panel shows.

There seems a snobbery towards studio sitcoms but yet there just as many bad single camera comedies as multi camera comedies.