Options

Has there ever been a government so weak as Cameron's?

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
Another u-turn after the Guardian and BBC kick up a fuss.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/12/26/tories-do-embarrassing-u-turn-on-booktrust-cut/

Brown was devastatingly bad, but as least he had conviction. We're running the biggest deficit in UK peacetime history, and cuts have to be made, so maybe the moronic Guardian and the countless state dependent interests who whine and whine should tell us exactly where they should fall? Or are the left stuck in a la la land of ever lasting funny money?

Comments

• Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err...opponents of the condems have said where the cuts should go and how big they need to be.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with Brown was that he wouldn't make a decision unless he had to. Then he stuck by it even if it was obviously wrong. Cameron seems to favour a different approach. He's attempting to please all the people all of the time. He doesn't seem to realise that it's impossible to do. Even something as trivial as abolishing free milk to save £50 million (?) dragged on and became a big issue, simply because he backed down at the first sign of a bad headline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Josquius wrote: »
    err...opponents of the condems have said where the cuts should go and how big they need to be.

Really? I've barely heard a whisper on Labour's exact strategy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It irks me that when any government changes it's mind on something because a good argument has been made then it is always some sort of massive U-turn and has to be accompanied by all sorts of faux over-reaction and melodrama.

That's not the way to encourage people with egos as big as politicians to change their minds - they should be applauded and then "forgotten"
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a stupid proposal to cut this scheme, it's very important to promote reading to children. The u turn is welcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Was a stupid proposal to cut this scheme, it's very important to promote reading to children. The u turn is welcome.

I always assumed that's why we had schools.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/12/26/tories-do-embarrassing-u-turn-on-booktrust-cut/

Brown was devastatingly bad, but as least he had conviction. We're running the biggest deficit in UK peacetime history, and cuts have to be made, so maybe the moronic Guardian and the countless state dependent interests who whine and whine should tell us exactly where they should fall? Or are the left stuck in a la la land of ever lasting funny money?
    Providing books for kids is a worthy endeavour IMHO. Especially as so many kids leave primary school barely literate, and once the councils start wielding the axe, library services are probably going to be curtailed. It's madness to totally cut funding for this charity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of this scheme and to be perfectly honest, my attitude is that it must be cheaper to use the people who already interact with parents in difficult circumstances such as teachers, health visitors, social workers etc - and direct these parents to their nearest library. The books are there. Local councils are legally obliged to provide the service. Is it really worth spending all that money on giving children books when there is already a much wider selection available to them that's already been paid for?

As for a weak government, I have no problem with it. A weak government forced to listen to a strong citizenry is infinitely preferable to the other way round.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »

Correction.

Opponents have said where they think the cuts should be - not necessarily right or wrong.
  • Options
    GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member

Cuts do not have to be made. Simply abolish the Bank of England's debt-based currency system, and return the power to issue currency to the government. Issue money debt-free, in proper proportion to supply and demand.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see what's wrong with cutting the scheme. Why do children need £13 million worth of books? Are there not zillions of books already in libraries? Why spend taxpayers' cash to give them more?
    No wonder kids don't go to public librarie any more if the books are being lobbed directly into their hands.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GwrxVurfer wrote: »
    Cuts do not have to be made. Simply abolish the Bank of England's debt-based currency system, and return the power to issue currency to the government. Issue money debt-free, in proper proportion to supply and demand.

We're talking about economics in the real world, not a fantasy one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always assumed that's why we had schools.

Yes, because everything in life has to be done via a formal learning regime, just to create little automatons for corporations to hire.

The work booktrust does encourages reading for readings sake, not passing an exams sake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I can't see what's wrong with cutting the scheme. Why do children need £13 million worth of books? Are there not zillions of books already in libraries? Why spend taxpayers' cash to give them more?
    No wonder kids don't go to public librarie any more if the books are being lobbed directly into their hands.

Booktrust supports libraries, it doesn't detract from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Ed Miliband has written a letter to Cameron

big wow!

Labour just being opportunistic again! What did they do to get the decision reversed, I wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    I see Ed Miliband has written a letter to Cameron

big wow!

Labour just being opportunistic again! What did they do to get the decision reversed, I wonder?

They funded the scheme since 2004, and one of their key backers, Lord Sainsbury, funded it for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    They funded the scheme since 2004, and one of their key backers, Lord Sainsbury, funded it for years.

So what did they do to get the funding back?
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What this, and a number of other U-turns, indicates is that this government is rushing into policy change without properly consulting people. It's the same with Gove and the school sports partnerships.

What this government should now do is revisit all of their key policies and take some time to ensure that the things they are cutting are the right things because this constant flip-flopping does indeed make them look weak - and as though their policy changes are being driven by ideological zeal rather than any coherent vision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What this, and a number of other U-turns, indicates is that this government is rushing into policy change without properly consulting people. It's the same with Gove and the school sports partnerships.

What this government should now do is revisit all of their key policies and take some time to ensure that the things they are cutting are the right things because this constant flip-flopping does indeed make them look weak - and as though their policy changes are being driven by ideological zeal rather than any coherent vision.

While I don't disagree I would caution against trying to make sure everything is covered before introducing anything otherwise nothing will get changed at all.

I am all for an experiential constructivist approach to learning though :)
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < We're running the biggest deficit in UK peacetime history, and cuts have to be made, so maybe the moronic Guardian >

I will once again point out to the loony right that The Guardian supports this Governmnt as it urged us to vote Lib Dem at the election.

Your whole post was similarly based on wrong information and hows that you have been fooled and conditioned by being constantly bombarded with soundbites from the BBC and right wing commentators. ry to write a post using your own words instead of cliches from the headlines. And if you post such a 'fact' as the Guardian opposing the Government which it helped get elected, check first before basing a load of ignorant ranting about a subject you are far from understanding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    We're talking about economics in the real world, not a fantasy one.

Does it not seem "fanatasy" that a government would pay interest to borrow its own money?

You have an odd sense of economics if you think people paying to borrow their own money makes sense Aftershow.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    While I don't disagree I would caution against trying to make sure everything is covered before introducing anything otherwise nothing will get changed at all.

I am all for an experiential constructivist approach to learning though :)

What's wrong with normal political process where there are green papers and white papers before legislation is brought before parliament - this allows for interested parties to point out the potential pitfalls of the policy, allows for proper political debate. I don't understand why, if these policies are such a good idea, that Cameron doesn't feel as though they will stand up to the normal amount of scrutiny. Take the Academies and Free Schools policy for example - a major structural change to the educational system in this country - no green paper, no white paper and rushed through parliament using procedures normally reserved for emergency legislation on terrorism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with normal political process where there are green papers and white papers before legislation is brought before parliament - this allows for interested parties to point out the potential pitfalls of the policy, allows for proper political debate. I don't understand why, if these policies are such a good idea, that Cameron doesn't feel as though they will stand up to the normal amount of scrutiny. Take the Academies and Free Schools policy for example - a major structural change to the educational system in this country - no green paper, no white paper and rushed through parliament using procedures normally reserved for emergency legislation on terrorism.

Good point - I don't trust Labour to be able to debate it properly though.

That's not saying it shouldn't be done though

Perhaps it needs to be done quick so that the government can start doing nice things again by 2015? Or am I being far too cynical? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GwrxVurfer wrote: »
    Does it not seem "fanatasy" that a government would pay interest to borrow its own money?

You have an odd sense of economics if you think people paying to borrow their own money makes sense Aftershow.

The government borrows money from international investors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The government borrows money from international investors.

The government borrows Pound Sterling, which is backed by nothing, and they borrow it at a rate of interest.

Why not simply remove the "borrow" part of it, and issue it themselves?

As I've previously said, it makes no sense in paying to borrow your own money.