Options

La Liga on Sky

Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone provide or point me in the direction of a list of games that Sky have shown live from La Liga.

Even if this isn't possible, can anyone tell me whether sky have shown every single game featuring Barcelona and/or Real Madrid.

I just want to counter someone who claimed elsewhere that La Liga isn't worth the bother on Sky unless you are a fan of these teams. I refute that claim, because they seem to show 4 games a week, so at least 2 games a week must feature 4 teams not called Barca or Real.

Comments

• Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    list of Sky's live fixtures

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html

Spanish fixtures arent confirmed til around 2 weeks before the actual game so although you know whos playing, the day/ko arent known til nearer the time.

Yeah you are correct, Barca and Real are always featured in the live coverage. Theres 4 live La Liga fixtures, sometimes 5 and also Monday night game is available online.

plus theres coverage of Copa Del Rey as well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really looking for a list of games that have already been shown.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Can anyone provide or point me in the direction of a list of games that Sky have shown live from La Liga.

Even if this isn't possible, can anyone tell me whether sky have shown every single game featuring Barcelona and/or Real Madrid.

I just want to counter someone who claimed elsewhere that La Liga isn't worth the bother on Sky unless you are a fan of these teams. I refute that claim, because they seem to show 4 games a week, so at least 2 games a week must feature 4 teams not called Barca or Real.

The other two games invariably feature Sevilla and Valencia, with an occasional Villarreal or Atletico if any of the big four are playing each other, or if Sevilla and Valencia play at the same time as Barca or Real.

If you're a fan of Sporting Gijon or Malaga or Levante, you're probably only going to see your team half a dozen times a year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6 times a year for a foreign league is still a reasonable output though.
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of any sites that just list the Sky UK games. I think you can input a date on liveonsat and find out which broadcasters took which game but not sure exactly how to do it or how far back it goes. As a Malaga fan not doubt Sky will be showing our game at Real Madrid in early March. The 4 games shown are usually the only ones scheduled at those times , the ones kicking off at different times are taken by other broadcasters though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use the calendar on this link to see which matches Sky have shown.
    Use the arrows on top of the calendar to change the month and select the first highlighted day.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/calendar/0,25004,11826_201008,00.html

It shows all matches played in the month and shows some of the matches that Sky have shown. Look for Saturday kick offs at 19:00 and 21:00 and Sunday kick offs at 18:00 and 20:00, those are the matches that Sky have shown if they don't say next to the game (excluding mid week games).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back to the original point of me posting (which was to determine whether there is a bias on teams shown), am I right to assume that if Sky only have rights to show the games in those timeslots you have mentioned, it is out of their hands which games they show and if Barcelona and Real do feature on Sky every week, that would be the fault of the Spanish organisations (ie La Liga and associated broadcast partners)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call it a bias when it comes to a foreign league. I can't imagine many Sky subscribers want to watch games NOT involving Barcelona or Real Madrid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a bias when it comes to a foreign league. I can't imagine many Sky subscribers want to watch games NOT involving Barcelona or Real Madrid?

Oh, I thoroughly agree. To my mind, the coverage is almost perfect in so much that it allows neutrals to watch the two most popular teams every week, but also allows those that happen to be fans of the likes of Sevilla, Espanyol, Deportivo etc a chance to see those teams a fair bit too.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back to the original point of me posting (which was to determine whether there is a bias on teams shown), am I right to assume that if Sky only have rights to show the games in those timeslots you have mentioned, it is out of their hands which games they show and if Barcelona and Real do feature on Sky every week, that would be the fault of the Spanish organisations (ie La Liga and associated broadcast partners)

Sky are allowed to show any game they wish, except those played between 14:45 and 17:15 on a Saturday, and all games are available to them.

Their choice of Barca and Real every week is meritocratic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I thoroughly agree. To my mind, the coverage is almost perfect in so much that it allows neutrals to watch the two most popular teams every week, but also allows those that happen to be fans of the likes of Sevilla, Espanyol, Deportivo etc a chance to see those teams a fair bit too.

It would be interesting to see how coverage here involving the other clubs compares with coverage of the non-"Big 4" from the Premier League when our games are shown in other countries.
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    alves wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how coverage here involving the other clubs compares with coverage of the non-"Big 4" from the Premier League when our games are shown in other countries.

I'm making a sweeping statement here, but the Sky/ESPN games, regardless of who's playing in them, get televised in most countries around the world nowadays

However, for the 3pm games, most networks will prioritise to show the Arsenals/Liverpools/Man Utds/Chelseas etc.(depending on number channels available etc)

Some may do it in their own national interests too, as long as Man Utd don't play at the same time South Korea's SBS Sports show every Bolton game live, simply becasue of Lee Chung-Yong
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always watch the Deportivo games, and it was alright last year as they were fighting for a top 6 finish, they were on most weeks.

But they've been crap this year and have only been on about 6 times this season so far.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    If you're a fan of Sporting Gijon or Malaga or Levante, you're probably only going to see your team half a dozen times a year
    6 times a year for a foreign league is still a reasonable output though.

In comparision, how many times would the likes of Freiburg and St. Pauli in the Bundesliga and Catania and Lecce in Serie A feature on ESPN UK over the course of the season?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    In comparision, how many times would the likes of Freiburg and St. Pauli in the Bundesliga and Catania and Lecce in Serie A feature on ESPN UK over the course of the season?

More often - as La Liga is a boring 2 horse race most years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NitaJez wrote: »

What has that got to do with game coverage, especially in light of what has already been established in this thread?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    What has that got to do with game coverage, especially in light of what has already been established in this thread?

The question was do ESPN show a more diverse range of teams on the Serie A and Bundesliga coverage - I said yes, basically as the leagues are generally more open than La Liga and therefore yes they do.

Maybe I should have expanded my answer, but I thought it was self explanatory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member

I think he was trying to say La Liga is 2 team top heavy whilst the other two have a more open ';unknown' championship battle so there will generally be a wider choice of teams than is shown on La Liga.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yvonne wrote: »
    I think he was trying to say La Liga is 2 team top heavy whilst the other two have a more open ';unknown' championship battle so there will generally be a wider choice of teams than is shown on La Liga.

Yet that seems not to be true as this thread has indicated that with 4 games per weekend, even if they do always show Real and Barca, that still means 6 teams outside the Big Two get on air each week.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your answer. I suspect that is true given the larger amount of title contenders in Serie A and the Bundesliga, yet ESPN UK are hamstrung by the fact they have fewer platforms than Sky and thus are able to show European games less often than Sky can show La Liga games.

I'd like to see the numbers if someone is in a position to supply them.
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmbond wrote: »
    . As a Malaga fan not doubt Sky will be showing our game at Real Madrid in early March.

That will teach me not to check the fixtures list. From tuesday 1st March - thursday 3rd March there is a full fixture list. The Madrid game is thursday 9pm (UK). What do Sky do with midweek La Liga fixtures?
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refute that claim, because they seem to show 4 games a week, so at least 2 games a week must feature 4 teams not called Barca or Real.

Make it 3.5 games a week! as Sunday games usually start in 30th minute of the match eventhough most other Sky Sports channels don't have any live broadcast.

pmbond wrote: »
    (UK). What do Sky do with midweek La Liga fixtures?

usually ignore them. Some Monday games are shown online eventhough, yet again, they have 4 dedicated sport channels!
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Same can be said of the Premier League, which more often than not, has been a 2 or 1 horse race.