Update On Friend's Son's Graduation Ceremony

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
Hi again. I couldn't find the original thread that I started about our friend's son's military graduation.

I wanted to say thank you to all who gave me excellent advice as to whether or not DH and I should attend our friend's son's graduation ceremony.

Talk about the Clash's "Should I Stay (Home) Or Should I Go Now"!

The decision was made for us. The ceremony was held yesterday, beginning at 1:00 PM. Our friend's son had reserved four places.

Turns out that our friend's petty wife decided to attend the ceremony...after she thought that DH and I were going to go.

She despises her son's girlfriend, as I wrote, so she and her daughter drove all the way up to the base in her silver SUV -- a good, long drive, and our friend drove up there in his car, giving his son's girlfriend a lift. The wife refused to sit in the same car as her son's girlfriend. absolutely wouldn't share the airspace with her.

I don't know what the gas prices are like in the UK, but in Canada, they are sky high, so this ridiculous woman caused the family to pay double the gas to get to the base and back again.

I can only imagine what the celebratory meal was like. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I can. I bet that our friend's son spent most of his time lavishing attention upon his girlfriend; at least I hope that he did. And I hope that he gave his father some attention as well. As for his mother and his sister -- well...better less than more.

He left at 5:00 AM this morning to fly to a naval base in BC, where he will undergo his next phase of training. He will be there for eight months.

Since we were not going to attend and wish our friend's son goodbye and best of luck, we gave our friend an envelope containing a card and some cash in it.

We realize that the cash aspect might be a bit tacky, but we did not know what we could possibly buy him, as he's got all the latest electronic gizmos known to man.:)

Again, thanks for all your kind words and sensible advice. :)