Hitman Absolution

MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
Forum Member
So it's finally out next week. There's quite a few different editions out:

The Standard Edition - £32.99

The Professional Edition - £47.89

The Professional Deluxe Edition - £59.99

Think I'll stick with the standard. The Sniper Mode sounds cool, but more than £15 extra seems a bit much. Wish I had ordered if earlier on Amazon when the price was lower.

Can't wait to get it. Any other people here looking forward to the release?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently just redownloaded blood money, I love the whole idea of the game. It's the only one I've played. But once I've gone through Blood Money again I'll almost certainly get the new one.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long time coming. Only a week to go. Will be digging out Blood Money to get a feel for it again.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It got a very poor review in PC Gamer.......
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The previous Hitmans are very good games that are actually very intelligent, it's all about stealth, observation and ghosting in and out and only killing the target for that 'silent assassin rating'.

I hope it continues in this mould, but I fear they've dumbed it down, to make it more appealing to 'run and gun' gamers with short attention spans.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their was talk that they had done this (the dumbing down) but they quashed them and said it is possible for the run-and-gunners to play this but also for the traditional players to get out of it what they expect to so hopefully itll be just like it was as well :)
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    The previous Hitmans are very good games that are actually very intelligent, it's all about stealth, observation and ghosting in and out and only killing the target for that 'silent assassin rating'.

I hope it continues in this mould, but I fear they've dumbed it down, to make it more appealing to 'run and gun' gamers with short attention spans.
    Good news: it seems to cater to both types of players. Bad news: both options are equally dull to go through with.

This would be my impression from the first two or three hours of the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Received my copy on PS3 today and have to say it is amazing. Contracts mode is impressive .It's much harder now with the disguises if you get too close or run the guards are alerted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I got the game today and I'm enjoying it so far. The first level after the tutorial was a little difficult for me as I haven't played a Hitman game in a long, long time but it was fun, and there are multiple ways to kill your target that vary in how stealthy they are. Like the above poster said, those that want to play it stealthily can and those that want to run and gun it also can.

Plus, the soundtrack is excellent in my opinion. Considering I got the game for only £31 courtesy of Shopto, I'm very happy with it so far.
    Forum Member
    Avatom182 wrote: »
    Received my copy on PS3 today and have to say it is amazing. Contracts mode is impressive .It's much harder now with the disguises if you get too close or run the guards are alerted.

I agree re the disguises. I struggle a little in confined areas with avoiding detection but the challenge adds to the fun.
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Where did you guys order it from to get it early?
  • Wayne321Wayne321 Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping to receive this on Saturday as I ordered from Shopto but nothing. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    MikePJB wrote: »

Simplygames
    Forum Member

Simplygames
  • Wayne321Wayne321 Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the game good? A lot of people are bashing it over at GameFAQS saying its not a true Hitman game, SE has ruined the Hitman brand, etc, etc.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne321 wrote: »
    Is the game good? A lot of people are bashing it over at GameFAQS saying its not a true Hitman game, SE has ruined the Hitman brand, etc, etc.

I shall quote some reviews I can find..
    This is a fantastic package - a dark, witty tale of death and retribution that can be whatever you want it to. It captures the ebb and flow of tension that stealth games forgot about years ago, but presents it in a way that feels utterly contemporary.
    Hitman: Absolution absolutely nails the modern gaming trope of presenting oodles of gameplay choice. It would be an insult to polarise Absolution into 'stealth' or 'action', where the real beauty of the game is found in the fertile grey area in between.
    The levels are sprawling, gorgeous, multifaceted playgrounds to hunt down and kill your targets in, and feature some of the most impressive crowds seen this generation.
    X360 magazine scored it 10/10 describing the title as “one of the best games we have ever played” while Official Xbox Magazine, Official PlayStation Magazine, PSM3 and GamesMaster all scored it at 9/10.

Then we move on to PC, courtesy of PC Gamer...
    The Christmas 2012 issue of PC Gamer contains a review by Tom Francis who did a number on Hitman: Absolution with some very unflattering things to say about it. The fact that the review's sub-header reads "Hitman: Absolution is a mess. The police do not expect Blood Money is involved" should say everything.

IO Interactive and Square Enix may have very little to be proud of as every portion of the game is said to be bad. The review pans the game for its art style and overuse of bloom, poor story, small levels, pointless objectives (e.g. open a door), no saves, bad AI.

The review also points out that the game actively encourages you to kill guards and sentries unlike previous Hitman games, which emphasized stealth over all else. Not that it matters—as many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless.

Finally, the review notes that the PC port of the game was done so poorly that the game even tells you to "gently" press your mouse button, as if it were the same as an X360 controller. In addition, the performance of the game was sub-par on PC Gamer's machines, running at a sluggish 15~ FPS.

For all their efforts, the game receives a score of 62 out of 100 with a verdict that reads "A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great."

TotalBiscuit as a WTF is... at the ready. It was up there, but it's gone private.
    Forum Member

Shopto. I didn't expect to see it until at least Monday so I was pleasantly surprised.
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Avatom182 wrote: »
    Simplygames
    iHelix wrote: »
    Shopto. I didn't expect to see it until at least Monday so I was pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, I'll have to look into ordering from there in the future

It seems to be getting positive reviews from what I've seen, apart from PC Gamer.

I was hoping it wouldn't be a shooter type game, stealth for me is the best way. For the parts where you have to shoot I hope it works well, but I will always take the stealth route when I can.
    Forum Member
    Wayne321 wrote: »

Being a hardcore Hitman fan it's everything i wanted to be loving it so far
    Forum Member
    Well I've played a few levels now and I get the feeling that yes, you could run your way through all guns blazing if you wanted to but the stealth route is much more fun. Even the more confined levels have different ways you can get to the end.

I achieved my first Silent Assassin rating in a level earlier today. Very satisfying although difficult with the disguises being very hard to keep on without detection. I'm also not a fan of how you lose points for subduing somebody. Killing them, yes, but knocking them out? I just don't like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS 360 Review
    Hitman: Absolution does have a few flaws, but these certainly don't take away from what is a polished and in-depth package that turns killing into a fine art. Hitman purists may decry the latest title, but in our opinion the balance between stealth and action is just right. Most importantly, you feel that you always have the freedom to bring death in any way you choose. The world is your oyster; now go kill in it.

RPS Review
    If this were the first Hitman game I’d played, I wouldn’t want to play another, but there’s just about enough in Absolution’s finer moments to keep the hope alive. Remember though: it’s the hope, not the hitman, that kills you in the end. As it is, I’ve already reinstalled Bloody Money as a sort of palate cleanser and I suggest you do the same.

WTF Is...

OPM – 9/10
    Eurogamer – 7/10
    Videogamer – 5/10
    Joystiq – 4/5
    Gamespot – 7.5/10
    NowGamer – 8/10
    CVG – 9/10
    God Is A Geek – 8/10
    Kotaku – ‘Yes’
    Game Informer 8.8/10
    Gametrailers – 6.9/10
    OXM – 9/10
    Xbox 360 Achievements – 83/100
    IGN – 9/10
    Shacknews – No score
    Duimschroef – 9/10
    Eurogamer.cz – 8/10
    PureSophistry – 9/10
    VicioJuegos (Spanish) – 91/100
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I shall quote some reviews I can find..

Then we move on to PC, courtesy of PC Gamer...

TotalBiscuit as a WTF is... at the ready. It was up there, but it's gone private.
    You cant save? ? :confused: really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TotalBiscuit disregards much of PC Gamer's review with gameplay, thankfully. But the disguise detection systems might take some getting used to.

No more disguising as a cop and hanging out with the other cops.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooooooooooo I'm excited now... If its shit or too short it's getting traded for far cry 3 next week
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my copy yesterday with the larger than expected Agent 47 Figurine.
    http://www.tracertong.co.uk/images/agent47.jpg

^ He's standing on my ipad for scale

Enjoying the game so far...
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow....your desk is really tidy !