Why have so many R1 breakfast presenters been from the Manchester area?

6262 Posts: 295
Forum Member
DLT (Buxton)
Mike Read (Manchester)
Chris Evans (Warrington)
Mark & Lard (Bolton/Manchester)
Sara Cox (Bolton)
Nick Grimshaw (Manchester)

Even Zoe Ball (Blackpool) and Chris Moyles (Leeds) are both less than 50 miles from the city.

Over on Virgin (as was), Pete & Geoff were both from the city as well.

The likes of Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow have never had a look in.

Any thoughts as to why? :confused:

Comments

• james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why - but - I was thinking yesterday that Mark & Lard must have been the only Radio 1 breakfast show to come from outside London.
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Yes they only agreed to do it if they could stay 'home'.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buxton is Derbyshire and Warrington is Cheshire.

Pete and Geoff were on key 103 in an era it was huge, Sara cox and nick grimshaw are of a radio 1 era that involves tv presenters being given radio shows without experience being needed.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    I often wonder if the likes of Billy Butler and Pete Price would have worked out on R1 - particularly in the 60's. There were lots of scousers on telly but none really on radio (Kenny Ev and Ray Moore) aside
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    62 wrote: »

Also Penk is a Manc!
    Forum Member
    I'm well aware of that but they are 25 and 20 miles from Manchester respectively so my point stands.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pete and Geoff were on key 103 in an era it was huge, Sara cox and nick grimshaw are of a radio 1 era that involves tv presenters being given radio shows without experience being needed.

Nick worked for the student radio station when was at uni and did a week of work experience with Sam Walker, I presume when she was at Xfm because there's a Nick Grimshaw wishes them a happy 1st birthday here:

http://www.xfm.co.uk/birthday-messages

Re: DLT - I think although he was born in Buxton, his family were passing through there and he was brought up in Manchester.
    Forum Member
    27 February 2007
    "Happy Birthday Xfm Manchester! The best radio station in the country" Nick Grimshaw, Chorlton
    Good spot! :)

Bizarre that he's doing R1 breakfast less than 5 years after that post!!
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    62 wrote: »
    DLT (Buxton)
    Mike Read (Manchester)
    Chris Evans (Warrington)
    Mark & Lard (Bolton/Manchester)
    Sara Cox (Bolton)
    Nick Grimshaw (Manchester)

Even Zoe Ball (Blackpool) and Chris Moyles (Leeds) are both less than 50 miles from the city.

The likes of Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow have never had a look in.

Any thoughts as to why? :confused:

It's where all the talent is ;)

Many presenters have come up via Piccadilly which IMO was a much better ILR station than many of it's competitors
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester is in many people's option the capital city of 'The North' and has long retained a reputation for popular music as well as the Greater Manchester area offering a good market for commercial radio reach.

I've personally only discovered it in recent years and find it a very impressive city. Even more so with the investment in media.
  • fatmancunianfatmancunian Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Because we're all amazing! :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North Eastern presenters have been very scarce on Radio 1. Mark Page didn't last very long and Jayne Middlemiss never had a full time gig.