Options

Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 14: The Name Of The Doctor 18/05/2013 BBC1 7:00PM

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone think Hurt was dressed similar to Paul McGann's doc?
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am thinking that he may have come before Hartnell, if you get what I mean. As in, Hartnell was the first "Doctor", but what if Hurt came before the name "Doctor", what if he was a Gallifreyan who would, in time, become The Doctor>

im thinking the same myself,what if the First Doctor is just the first regeneration
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone think Hurt was dressed similar to Paul McGann's doc?

Well, that's the idea ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow- just wow.

Quick- give me 500 sleeping pills so I can just wake up when it's november..........................

Er, not sure that's the outcome you'd experience if you attempted this method.
  • Options
    ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I need an idiots guide to each episode of Doctor Who as I can no longer keep up with what I see or hear anymore. :o

So what did we just witness then?:D

I think we just witnessed the best episode in ages.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    col b wrote: »
    Just thinking,hurt could still be a future doctor because the 11th is in his own time stream now and so he must know about his future adventures and incarnations too ,therefore explaining how he knows about hurts actions.

I was thinking that too, plus 11 will already know the ramifications of his secret/name getting out. So he wouldn't need to live through it, as he will already be aware of the consequences.

IIRC Time Lords are telepathy linked too, or something similar maybe he could sense what his future's version did.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone needs to do a transcript of the last few minutes
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    River said it quite clearly to open the door.

It's not my fault if you we're too busy concentrating on The Doctor and the Great Intelligence at the time. :D

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, my fiancee is fuming because we never found out the name, especially after Moffat promised we would.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't gotten away with anything. Some of us loved that episode. And I mean loved. It was a classic. To stand with the very best of the last fifty years. If you has issues with it then fine for you. But don't disrespect those of us who enjoyed it. Hell enjoyed? Nope. More than that. It was FANTASTIC.

WTF? You some kind of gangster? No one's allowed a different opinion? The post you were replying to made no reference to other posters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    It's science fiction, I'm sure they can find a way around it.

God knows how many regenerations the Master has had!

Moffat will come up with the magic regeneration fairy, and give him a new regeration cycle... :p
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valeron wrote: »

Wouldn't be hard lol.

Seriously though it was rather good.
  • Options
    Webby37Webby37 Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just watched that bit again and you can't hear River say anything.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode. best in a year.
    Why cant we have more like this one....instead of the rubbish we had to watch recently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, my fiancee is fuming because we never found out the name, especially after Moffat promised we would.

Nobody promised that.
  • Options
    ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Moboloco wrote: »
    Wouldn't be hard lol.

Seriously though it was rather good.

Agreed on both points
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't gotten away with anything. Some of us loved that episode. And I mean loved. It was a classic. To stand with the very best of the last fifty years. If you has issues with it then fine for you. But don't disrespect those of us who enjoyed it. Hell enjoyed? Nope. More than that. It was FANTASTIC.
    It was an absolute mess, with no logic or internal consistency. This was supposed to be the one thing that the Doctor must never, ever, ever do. But he did it anyway and nothing much happened.

I could have just about accepted the premise if the clues about Clara had been spread over several series rather than stuffed hastily into a few episodes. We didn't have time to acquire the sort of attachment to Clara that the story needed.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not disrespecting anyone, just voicing my opinion. As someone has been with Who since the beginning and still loves it all (well except for the McCoy years) I can like a show but still have problems with it. It's called balance.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valeron wrote: »

I enjoyed it but then when it was over I just felt empty like "What just happened?" I definitely need to rewatch.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    Kind of enjoyed it I think. Loved the cameos of the previous Doctors, loved Strax (as per usual) but the plot and resolution wasn't strong and was full of holes. Nice ending though. It actually felt like an episode celebrating the shows history.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't actually watched it yet but if we're meeting a new incarnation of The Doctor, who ended the time war...Isn't that just a great big middle finger at Paul McGann? He only had one episode (and was decent) but to make up for that, his Doctor was always implied to have been the one that ended the time war.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    So for those you who didn't start with New Who [like I did], is 23rd November 50 years to the day Doctor Who began then?

I was surprised at having such a concrete date, not a vague 'DW returns at Christmas!' tagline.

http://www.tv.com/shows/doctor-who/
    My name is William Hartnell, and as Doctor Who, I make my debut on Saturday 23rd November at 5.15.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTF? You some kind of gangster? No one's allowed a different opinion? The post you were replying to made no reference to other posters.

Haha. I have just seen a classic episode of Doctor Who. I am not going to even begin to engage with you right now so carry on.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was the last time a Doctor Who episode got so many "excellent" votes and have a poll with such an overwhelming percentage? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Fantastic bombshell, but I don't think Moffat is good at writing resolutions - he'll get himself into a hole and then use an unresolved question to move on. The revelation of John Hurt serves as a distraction from any holes or weaknesses of the plot, in my opinion.