Options

I'm considering stopping watching Doctor Who.

2»

Comments

• Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on topic.. is this the thread for shows we are considering stopping watching. I may dump antiques roadshow as I keep expecting telephone number valuations
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Yes a show that is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a special feature length episode due to be broadcast in 75 countries worldwide simultaneously, as well as in selected Cinemas, with viewing figures generally around 7 million just for the initial broadcast not counting DVR's downloads iPlayer and foreign markets, that makes BBC Worldwide so much money in merchandising is a dying show. sure ok
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clara is a sloppy one dimensional character??? We've learnt about her family, her different timelines, who she really is and why there are multiple Claras - how much deeper into character development do you want to go???

We know very little about her family, because aside from the flashbacks in one solitary episode, her family haven't interacted with the audience - we haven't seen them! We knew Donna's mother and grandpa, and we knew Rose's mother and boyfriend - because we saw them in several episodes. They were real people.

Clara's family may have been referenced, they may have been seen in one episode's worth of flashbacks, but we don't know them!

And to be honest, we really don't know Clara either! She is a cardboard cut-out. She's taken Tardis travel in her stride, we've barely seen any of the emotional struggle and incomprehension any normal real person would have experienced when travelling with the doctor.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't sold on post 'Asylum' and 'The Snowmen' Clars on first viewing. On rewatching her lack of focus and development only becomes more glaring. Half baked potential. Its not Jennas fsult. She proved in two episodes she was more than good enough for the role. Its just the character and material that has been wanting. They really need to give her some purpose sharpish once Twelves era begins or else just get rid.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    *looks at thread title*

You know, one of these days someone might consider stopping watching and do just exactly that: stop watching.
    Not continue watching just as much repeated Original/Modern who as they normally do but also create an attention seeking thread where the same old complaints are made in a slightly less same-old way.

Here's the big secret about how to maintain a long standing relationship with Doctor Who as a fan: just be patient.

The whole show changes its entire format every 5 years or so.
    So if you're not a fan of a particular direction the show is taking, just wait around, try to gleam as much enjoyment as possible out of the shows you are getting, it is "our" Doctor and "our" TARDIS, DALEKS, Cybermen etc after all, and then come back again when there's a regeneration or showrunner change and see if the next iteration of the show is more appealing to you.

Over the course of it's life Who has been a cosmic mystery, a hard sci-fi serial, a standalone romp, a comedy horror, an earthbound invasion of the week episodic drama, laughingly bad, stunningly good and everything else in-between.

Just hang on there, it'll come back around again soon ;)
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think series 7 was bad, but this is true. After only two specials we'll have to wait whole year until the new season starts. Also, season 7 was stretched to nearly three years.

Season 7 started 25 December 2011, and series 8 in fall 2014. :mad:

RTD wasn't as good writer as Moffat is, but at least we had 14 episodes each year.

RTD wasnt hit by one of the biggest cost cutting exercises the BBC has ever seen,they have had no increase in funding for a few years now,and have had to make cuts in budgets all over the board,and its not as if they can make the show with Cardboard and Sticky Backed Plastic is it,its an expensive show to make with a lot of Special Effects and CGI
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD wasnt hit by one of the biggest cost cutting exercises the BBC has ever seen,they have had no increase in funding for a few years now,and have had to make cuts in budgets all over the board,and its not as if they can make the show with Cardboard and Sticky Backed Plastic is it,its an expensive show to make with a lot of Special Effects and CGI

I watched Atlantis last night - self-evidently an expensive show to make. It looks beautiful and it has a full 13 episode series. Similarly, Merlin ran in the same timeslot for five consecutive series, despite being expensive to film.

This isn't about budget cuts, it's about the ability of Moffat and his team to get scripts ready in time and work within what constraints there are.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Contrary to the thread title, I actually decided to watch MORE Who, or at least more 'classic' Who.

Ordered The Invasion, The Space Museum/The Chase, The War Machines, and The War Games on DVD yesterday.

Also dug out my copies of The Beginning, The Dalek Invasion of Earth and Tomb of the Cybermen as well.

Happy viewing coming up! :)
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Contrary to the thread title, I actually decided to watch MORE Who, or at least more 'classic' Who.

Ordered The Invasion, The Space Museum/The Chase, The War Machines, and The War Games on DVD yesterday.

Also dug out my copies of The Beginning, The Dalek Invasion of Earth and Tomb of the Cybermen as well.

Love that story, and Tomb of the Cybermen too.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What utter nonsense OP.
  • Options
    jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member

agreed. i started randomly topping up my classic archives by ordering the invasion, dalek invasion and a few others.. my interest in doctor who has if anything increased.. :) the anticipation of the boundless possibilities brought about by a regeneration are cause for more excitement even though i think matt is utter genius in the role. I'm excited about the past, present AND future of the show. it's a fantastic time to be a dr who fan. and who would have thought that a couple of decades ago???!!! :)
    As for the attention seeking thread title? - Yawn..
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    OK then - stop watching.
    Why should this decision bother anyone else at all?
    I'm not sure what you expected by creating this thread?

Well you clearly thought your three line opinion was worth writing, so why shouldnt the OP?

Personally I may stop watching soon myself. But thats because the more I think about it, I'm more an 11th Doctor fan than a Dr Who fan in general. I like Matt Smith, I like how he portrays the doctor and I like his companions and his interactions with them.

I have rarely liked any other doctors/companions. so I may stick with it when the next doctor starts or I may not.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    I'm expecting a vitriolic character assassination to follow this post, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way.

Half a dozen new episodes once every 6-8 months simply isn't enough to hold my attention; especially when the quality of the show has dipped so dramatically over the last two series.

Matt Smith's departure is also a factor. His mesmerising, energetic performance has actually been the only reason I've continued to tune in after the Pond's incredibly dismal, disappointing nonsensicasl departure. With him gone, the show offers me nothing anymore.

There are no arcs to follow. No sooner does Moffat begin one - he forgets about it, leaving everyone hanging for a resolution that never comes.

No disrespect to Jenna Coleman. She's doing the best she can with a sloppy one dimensional character, but she's just not a strong enough hook. And I honestly don't care about Peter 'The Supposed Acting Messiah' Capaldi one way or other.

The 'wall-to-wall' Who Anniversary simply hadn't materialised. They aren't even botherting to promote the 50th Special.

The entire show has just deflated before my eyes. If the BBC can't bother with it... Why should I?

"I'm considering stopping watching Doctor Who" ?

PMSL

You'll either watch it or you won't, your choice, doesn't bother me either way.

I'd comment on the opinions in the OP if they were referenced in the thread title, but as the title isn't very explanatory and you set out with your defense before making your point, I am going to abstain on principal from giving any feedback on which bits i do/don't agree with :)
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I can't wait to see what Capaldi can bring to the role. Matt, and David before him, have been very physical in their portrayals, ie. lots of running around and exertions, that Capaldi presumably won't be up for. I think we're in for a very different Doctor, and probably the likes of which we won't have seen since the original series, and even then, earlier in the original series than than later.

Why not? Hopefully you're not making a stupid agest comment, he's only 55.
    I didn't like 9 at all (even watching it back CE seems not have really got to grips with it) but I've been delighted by 10 and 11.

Watch his mesmerising performance in Dalek or any episode in fact, if that's a sign of not getting to grips with the role I don't think those of us who appreciate acting would be able to cope if he did get to grips with it. Then, I know that some people prefer overacting of Tennant and occasionally Smith. I cannot abide it myself.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stick with it.

I get some of the OP's gripes but I take comfort that at least they still have decent actors in the role and can come up with the odd staggering one off like The Doctors Wife which makes some of the dross in between worth ploughing through.

Moffatt arcs have ended up being nonsensical at times and even worse, gloating cheats on the audience. His flamboyant exciting forebodings such as The Fall of The Eleventh have turned out to be damp squibs.

Too many assistants have fallen into the "special one/maguffin" model.

But, as I say, every now and then....
  • Options
    Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    oh c'mon , he did it a favor , it needed killing , it was terminally ill .

or should I not have said that ? :o

Yeah as opposed to infusing new creativity and a decent sized budget to it.

I don't understand why people feel the need to broadcast their intent to stop viewing. If you're going to stop then do so. If lots of people stop BBC....... won't care less as they get the money out you anyway.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Why not? Hopefully you're not making a stupid agest comment, he's only 55.

Indeed! The amount of physicality he displayed in the Thick of It alone is more than enough proof that he's fit for the job.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    I'm expecting a vitriolic character assassination to follow this post, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way.

Half a dozen new episodes once every 6-8 months simply isn't enough to hold my attention; especially when the quality of the show has dipped so dramatically over the last two series.

Matt Smith's departure is also a factor. His mesmerising, energetic performance has actually been the only reason I've continued to tune in after the Pond's incredibly dismal, disappointing nonsensicasl departure. With him gone, the show offers me nothing anymore.

There are no arcs to follow. No sooner does Moffat begin one - he forgets about it, leaving everyone hanging for a resolution that never comes.

No disrespect to Jenna Coleman. She's doing the best she can with a sloppy one dimensional character, but she's just not a strong enough hook. And I honestly don't care about Peter 'The Supposed Acting Messiah' Capaldi one way or other.

The 'wall-to-wall' Who Anniversary simply hadn't materialised. They aren't even botherting to promote the 50th Special.

The entire show has just deflated before my eyes. If the BBC can't bother with it... Why should I?

Stick with it; Moffat will have to retire someday and then we can have a good show again.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Stick with it; Moffat will have to retire someday and then we can possibly have a version of the show more fitting to our tastes.

Fixed that for you. ;)
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    oh c'mon , he did it a favor , it needed killing , it was terminally ill .

or should I not have said that ? :o

Michael Grade didn't actually kill it - Jonathan Powell did that - but by taking it off the air for 18 months and then firing the lead actor while allowing the same useless producer to stay in charge he did some pretty terminal damage. If he'd flat-out cancelled Doctor Who in 1985 I might have had more respect for him, but instead he was weaselly and disingenuous.
  • Options
    Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    And I am thinking of starting to watch again. Now celebrate, because I'm back in the fold!