Twin Peaks to return?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I used to love Twin Peaks, but I don't think the new series would be a success. Twin Peaks belongs to the past. Any recycling of the old series would be a cheap attempt at creating something new and exciting out of nothing. It just doesn't make sense in this era. The new Twin Peaks doesn't excite me at all, as I can assume it's not gonna be it.

Maybe it could be updated for the reality TV generation.

10 go into the Black Lodge, 20 come out. Who wins? You decide, but my money's on the log lady.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little excited.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    What's great is that the storyline is already sort of laid out without having to speculate too much. Mainly Cooper, there's got to be the real Cooper still trapped in The Black Lodge then there should be BOB/Cooper in the real world wreaking havoc.

Has evil Cooper been in the real world for the last quarter century? :o:o:o

"How's Annie?"
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Several of the cast of Twin Peaks appeared in an episode of Psych that was an homage to TP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Spires

I suppose the most important thing about this is if any British channel will pick up the rights

The pilot of Twin Peaks was the highest rated show in the history of BBC2 at the time of broadcast I believe, it had 8.15 million viewers.

I think it highly likely a major channel will pick this series up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realized as well, Showtime are premium cable, meaning the series presumably can have 18 cert level content the original series on free to air couldn't.

Oh god now I'm scared. :o:)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see whether they re-use and follow-up on the footage from The Missing Pieces.
    Are we to assume that Cooper/BOB went on to murder the nurse who took the ring from Annie? Or would she become another character in The Black Lodge?
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It couldn't be a better time for the story to continue. Taking into account the 25 years thing anyway, on top of that US TV has been making so many Twin Peaksesque shows for years and it's reached a very high level with shows like True Detective especially. Lynch will have realised this and of course listened to the fans so I'm certain that he's not going into this lightly for publicity or cash. It's not his style and he doesn't need the money evidently. I'm very excited to see more, whether there be resolutions or new mysteries. I'm assuming the latter but that's the nature of the show, we'll probably have even more questions to ask but that's good.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Several of the cast of Twin Peaks appeared in an episode of Psych that was an homage to TP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Spires

I suppose the most important thing about this is if any British channel will pick up the rights

Sky Alantic will be all over this the second the rights come up for sale if not before
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Wow, wasn't expecting that. Something very much to look forward to.

Yes, potentially the best comeback since Kate Bush. If, Lynch and co make it as good as the original series, then we're in for a treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Sky Alantic will be all over this the second the rights come up for sale if not before

Yeah, that would be annoying, in that case I'd hope it goes on itunes as well, I'd prefer not to have to torrent it.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Bumping. I saw this thread at the time but I was halfway through watching it so I didn't click on it as I didn't want to see any spoilers and I've finished the last episode today. Btw if anyone has any requests for shows to come back they should ask me as this is the third time this has happened now. Watching this and then they announced its return after all this time. I watched The Comeback and halfway through they announced a second season after 10(?) years and I also watched A Very Potter Musical and its sequel on Youtube and the day I watched the final video of the sequel they announced a third and I think even that was about five years later!
    Of course, Audrey and Cooper can finally get together which was the original intention before Lara Flynn Boyle threw a hissy fit!

I've been reading up on all the trivia on imdb/wiki and things totally make sense now. I was wondering why they split Cooper and Audrey up only to pair them off with boring Annie and Billy Zane (can't remember his character's name). It also made sense as to why the show dipped in quality in the second season after Laura's death and have found a lot of fans agree. I thought the storylines were so boring and random. I actually stopped watching for a long while as I got bored and only started it up again about two weeks ago. The finale was :o I loved it. I really hope Audrey has survived and that we find out what happened to Leo.

A few questions:

Did anyone else really dislike Josie even before the revelation that she shot Cooper? I just hated her from the beginning.

Because i watched this over a long time due to the aforementioned stopping watching because it got boring, I forget what happened in the earlier episodes and have seen comments saying that the scene in the first season where Cooper was in his dream and had aged and Laura whispered something into his ear it was really twenty five years later. I totally do not get this theory? (If this is answered in the Fire Walk with Me film please don't tell me because I haven't watched that yet and have been skipping past comments and threads relating to that.)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumping. I saw this thread at the time but I was halfway through watching it so I didn't click on it as I didn't want to see any spoilers and I've finished the last episode today. Btw if anyone has any requests for shows to come back they should ask me as this is the third time this has happened now. Watching this and then they announced its return after all this time. I watched The Comeback and halfway through they announced a second season after 10(?) years and I also watched A Very Potter Musical and its sequel on Youtube and the day I watched the final video of the sequel they announced a third and I think even that was about five years later!

I've been reading up on all the trivia on imdb/wiki and things totally make sense now. I was wondering why they split Cooper and Audrey up only to pair them off with boring Annie and Billy Zane (can't remember his character's name). It also made sense as to why the show dipped in quality in the second season after Laura's death and have found a lot of fans agree. I thought the storylines were so boring and random. I actually stopped watching for a long while as I got bored and only started it up again about two weeks ago. The finale was :o I loved it. I really hope Audrey has survived and that we find out what happened to Leo.

A few questions:

Did anyone else really dislike Josie even before the revelation that she shot Cooper? I just hated her from the beginning.

Because i watched this over a long time due to the aforementioned stopping watching because it got boring, I forget what happened in the earlier episodes and have seen comments saying that the scene in the first season where Cooper was in his dream and had aged and Laura whispered something into his ear it was really twenty five years later. I totally do not get this theory? (If this is answered in the Fire Walk with Me film please don't tell me because I haven't watched that yet and have been skipping past comments and threads relating to that.)
    The "25 years later" thing refers to Cooper's dream in Season 1. The Little Man's "cousin" who looks exactly like Laura Palmer whispers the name of the killer in an aged Cooper's ear. (It was also the alternate "closed ending" to the video release of the Pilot episode.)

In the final episode of the Season 2, the good version of Cooper gets trapped in the Black Lodge (the mystical place he had previously dreamed about with red drapes and zig-zag carpets) while Killer Bob possesses an evil version of Cooper in the ordinary world. A vision of Laura Palmer tells good Cooper "I'll see you again in 25 years", suggesting that the dream will come to pass.
  • DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Never having seen TP before, (but having read all the acclaim about it for years and years), when I saw the DVD boxset in HMV for just £11.99 the other week, I bought it immediately.
    All I knew about the show was the basic plot, and that it involved a degree of surrealism. This didn't worry me at all, as I love "artistic" shows which use symbolism and the surreal to make their point (eg, my fave TV show of the 2000's was "Life On Mars").
    However, I'm sorry to be the lone voice of dissent on this thread, but TP hasn't floated my boat at all. I've found it dull and pretentious. I've watched as far as ep.3 (with the dream sequence with the dwarf) and thought, OK that's enough of this rubbish. I think my main gripe is that there's no single character that I can identify with. I expected the FBI guy to be the "straight man" who is bewildered by all the oddballs around him, but no, he is as odd as the rest of them! So I feel clueless as to what the show is trying to say, what it's supposed to mean.
    The trouble with the "dream sequence" is that the "main" (non-dream) action is almost as surreal as that in the first place, so why even bother having a dream scene? The dwarf might as well just walk in and be part of any other scene. At that point, I realised that the directors are setting no boundaries at all. What will happen in the next episode, will the FBI guy sprout wings and fly? There's no baseline to set your expectations upon, so I lost interest. I'm sorry to say that I'm left feeling "what on earth was all the hype about?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never having seen TP before, (but having read all the acclaim about it for years and years), when I saw the DVD boxset in HMV for just £11.99 the other week, I bought it immediately.
    All I knew about the show was the basic plot, and that it involved a degree of surrealism. This didn't worry me at all, as I love "artistic" shows which use symbolism and the surreal to make their point (eg, my fave TV show of the 2000's was "Life On Mars").
    However, I'm sorry to be the lone voice of dissent on this thread, but TP hasn't floated my boat at all. I've found it dull and pretentious. I've watched as far as ep.3 (with the dream sequence with the dwarf) and thought, OK that's enough of this rubbish. I think my main gripe is that there's no single character that I can identify with. I expected the FBI guy to be the "straight man" who is bewildered by all the oddballs around him, but no, he is as odd as the rest of them! So I feel clueless as to what the show is trying to say, what it's supposed to mean.
    The trouble with the "dream sequence" is that the "main" (non-dream) action is almost as surreal as that in the first place, so why even bother having a dream scene? The dwarf might as well just walk in and be part of any other scene. At that point, I realised that the directors are setting no boundaries at all. What will happen in the next episode, will the FBI guy sprout wings and fly? There's no baseline to set your expectations upon, so I lost interest. I'm sorry to say that I'm left feeling "what on earth was all the hype about?"

There is a scene in the film where David Bowie turns into a chimp, if that helps. :D

When Peaks doesn't work it doesn't work. But when it does..... the scene where the killer is revealed remains the most frightening thing ever in any tv show, in my 'umble opinion.

NB: Bowie in FWWM- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSqDMqCJQw
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah there were people who didn't like it back in 91 too. It's not for you.

Let the rest of us revel in it
  • DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    Yeah there were people who didn't like it back in 91 too. It's not for you.

Let the rest of us revel in it

Of course, I'm not stopping you in any way, please feel free.
    It's just that....how can I put this? ... I'm not the kind of TV viewer who simply gazes like a sheep at "X Factor" etc. I love innovative, difficult, "arty" type TV in general. I enjoy the films of Andrei Tarkovsky for example. I loved "The Prisoner". I loved many of Dennis Potter's serials.
    So this is what surprised me - I had read all the acclaim about TP, I knew that it was supposed to be "groundbreaking TV" and so I kind of expected that if it really was as good as it was made out to be, then I would certainly be the type of person who would appreciate it. It really surprised me that I found it so pretentious, I wasn't expecting to. But that's just my opinion, and I wanted to post it. Perhaps it's the frame of mind I'm in, perhaps I don't like the direction or the colour grading of the DVD, I can't really tell. I'm actually disappointed, because I had preconditioned myself into thinking "Twin Peaks is regarded as a masterpiece, so I ought to like it when I see it", but I just don't.
    It's just my personal view, I'm not trying to say that everyone who likes it is wrong and I am right. But, for example, I have just bought a DVD boxset of six Hitchcock films, five of which I'd never seen before, and instantly I'm loving them, and it's deepening my understanding of why Hitchcock is so esteemed as a great director. I'm like, "Yeah, everyone says how great Hitchcock was, and now I'm seeing these films for myself and I completely agree", which makes me think that my judgement is fairly normal, if that makes sense? So it kind of puzzles me why TP has left me so out-of-step with the critics.
    But as I say, it's just my opinion. I don't mean to pour cold water on anyone else's views. I hope that's OK.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kyle MacLachlan has signed up

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/12/7534179/kyle-maclachlan-twin-peaks-agent-dale-cooper-showtime

Which is a good thing as Twin Peaks wouldn't be Twin Peaks without Dale Cooper
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moira Kelly might be a better bet. I never thought the two Donnas were particularly alike, but Moira will look more like Lara 1990 than Lara 2014 does.

I never understood why in the film Donna was Oriental. I do now!