Options

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That T•yah Wilc•x is incredibly short.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    That Canadians spell "favourite" and "colour" the British way and not the way of the USA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    That only last week i recognised a girl from school from cousins facebook page and it turns out the girl in question is the local Mayor's daughter and she is the consort ..Cousin said she will say hi to her next time she sees her :)
  • Options
    PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these things aren't exactly "really obvious"...

I will confess to being ignorant of my toaster's crumb tray for years though!

And that the dial is for number of minutes, rather than 'degree of toastiness' :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ^^ yea, i know,,i just read the title again properly :D
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piazza wrote: »
    Indeed!
    The 'DLX' remark above had me puzzled since it appeared because I knew the TLA from a long time ago and only just remembered it's an instruction set, last time I saw it written was in a project listing, "DLX into silicon" IIRC.
    That said, I'm afraid the quote "The Deluxe is the one with the real hair" was wedged firmly in my brain about 30 years ago and has been there ever since.
    Some are just a screw and an arrow pointing at it on a hinged panel on the underside, hoping you won't spot it and have to replace the toaster every time it fills up and turns into a solid lump of charcoal.
    And that the dial is for number of minutes, rather than 'degree of toastiness' :blush:
    Seriously? I thought they were more or less arbitrary! I never realised these had any kind of accuracy associated with them.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Seriously? I thought they were more or less arbitrary! I never realised these had any kind of accuracy associated with them.
    They are arbitrary to the point of randomness; the state of the bread from frozen all the way through to stale is the biggest factor in toast. It's a dial that goes from Barely Anything to Burnt, and all stages in between, with no usable values other than more than or less than. :)
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was only recently (ive posted this a few times) i twigged that Russell Grant was gay. I thought he was just jolly and camp
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member

I wouldn't mind betting this is the biggest thing people don't realise. I only found out recently and it seems no one knew it was minutes! I mean who cooks toast for 6 bloody minutes?
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That has been my gripe with this thread too - people are posting things that they have only just found out but they are not really obvious at all (yes I am being pedantic about the thread title!)

I didn't know about the toaster timing. I wonder if that's true of all toasters or just yours? I will time my toast next time!:D
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've only just realised that this thread is not about what I thought it was about.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only found out last week that white hens lay white eggs and brown ones lay brown ones. :D:D And I'm a country girl too :blush:
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

At last. My life is complete. What a fool I have been all this time.
    How ignorant I have been, thinking the way to stop feet slipping around inside shoes was to ties the laces properly in the first place.

Actually I think I've seen that method before (or something very similar), but quite a long time ago.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

Now that is something I never knew!

It also got me thinking why some pairs of trainers have a little loop on the tongue. Apparently, sometimes people feel the tongue slips to one side or the other and lacing them up through that little loop prevents it. I thought it was decorative. :blush:
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That first class is at the front of a plane because then the wings don't obstruct passengers' views.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I wake up in the middle of the night, my mouth is so dry that I have to go the loo (to pee of course) and drink loads of water.

I always thought it was because I must sleep with my mouth open and drool all over the pillow. However, it was pointed out to me last night that it may be down to getting so hot in bed and sweating loads that I get dehydrated and need to drink. I do wear three layers of clothing for bed so makes sense.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    That first class is at the front of a plane because then the wings don't obstruct passengers' views.

Most likely to be the first to hit in the event of a crash too with the rest of the plane behind it. :o
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Only found out last week that white hens lay white eggs and brown ones lay brown ones. :D:D And I'm a country girl too :blush:

So are those pretty blue eggs laid by blue hens?

I'd like to see a blue hen. :)
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    That has been my gripe with this thread too - people are posting things that they have only just found out but they are not really obvious at all (yes I am being pedantic about the thread title!)

I didn't know about the toaster timing. I wonder if that's true of all toasters or just yours? I will time my toast next time!:D

I timed mine and it is true, although mine Is a 4 slice toaster and one side is a few seconds longer than the other.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Apparently it's only true for certain breeds of chicken...

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=746
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? :o
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    So are those pretty blue eggs laid by blue hens?

I'd like to see a blue hen. :)

The Delaware Blue Hen (yes it has blue plummage) lays brown eggs.
    Just saying :-)
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That politics is a long and arduous subject,
  • Options
    BestsoapcorrieBestsoapcorrie Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Leigh Francis was Bo Selecta.