Options

The White Queen discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    cgk wrote: »
    The problem for me is that Rebecca Ferguson isn't really a very good actress relative to the rest of the cast - which is a problem when she is the main character.

Neither us Max Irons, though he's only been in it for 2 minutes this week.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    She seems a little deranged

She's basically the reason for the War of the Roses, or rather for igniting the spark which set the houses of Lancaster and York against each other. She called a Great Council during one of Henry VI's bouts of illness and alienated the whole of the Yorkist faction under Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York (father of Edward IV, Clarence and Richard III) by excluding them from the role that a previous Parliament had appointed him as Protector.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks Edward of Westminster gets the buttocks award
  • Options
    DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Well there's this week's buttocks.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah Romance at its finest.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen ep 3, and I'm very disappointed with the turnout on this thread, where is everyone?

Watching something else ;)
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the birth of our most debated king soon
  • Options
    Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that they're not meant to have any friends, who is bringing Elizabeth and her family food etc when she's in sanctuary in Westminster Abbey?
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    She's basically the reason for the War of the Roses, or rather for igniting the spark which set the houses of Lancaster and York against each other. She called a Great Council during one of Henry VI's bouts of illness and alienated the whole of the Yorkist faction under Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York (father of Edward IV, Clarence and Richard III) by excluding them from the role that a previous Parliament had appointed him as Protector.

Thanks Cadiva, I understand now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »

:D Excellent !
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Why is Henry Tudor still being portrayed as a child? He would of been about 15 or 16 now

He was born on 28th January 1457, and as it's only 1470 he would be 13.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually getting better! I just wish the aristocracy of the time had been a little more imaginative when naming their sons. There are too many Edwards, Henrys and Richards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:
    It's actually getting better! I just wish the aristocracy of the time had been a little more imaginative when naming their sons. There are too many Edwards, Henrys and Richards.

I agree !
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member

It must be even more confusing for Elizabeth Woodville as she had two sons named Richard!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

I missed the last half. Which one is Edward of Westminster again?
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the little boy (Margaret's son) Henry the 7th?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Yes, and very arsey too
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Poppy wrote: »
    Given that they're not meant to have any friends, who is bringing Elizabeth and her family food etc when she's in sanctuary in Westminster Abbey?

Some London merchants took supplies in to show loyalty to Edward, not to mention being in favour if Edward came back. The news he had a son helped to keep a lot of ordinary people onside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Poppy wrote: »

A butcher named Goulding I think.
  • Options
    Kat-napKat-nap Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Just some observations on this weeks offering.
    Wasn't Margaret of Anjou supposed to be beautiful?
    Some pretty bad wigs are coming out now.
    Where is Hastings?
    Ah whatsevername guard from Camelot, only a bit part though.
    Did anybody else notice Elizabeth's cushion wobbling?
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yes, and very arsey too

But who is the guy who Anne Neville has just married?:confused:
  • Options
    who me?who me? Posts: 17,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've been struggling to understand why his mum feels he has a right to be king one day. I've had a search so I kind of understand that now...vaguely... it's all a bit messy really. Maybe I missed it but I think that could have been made clearer other than it's God's will. She certainly says that a lot!

I don't think any amount of reading will help me understand how her hubby puts up with her though.

But I do think it's improved a lot...I wasn't going to bother after the first episode but I'm glad I stuck with it now.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But who is the guy who Anne Neville has just married?:confused:

The son of Henry V1 and Margaret of Anjou, though there was speculation at the time he may have been the Duke of Somerset's rather than Henry's as Henry was somewhat out of it due to some sort of mental illness (he was judged incapable of ruling which is why the Duke of York was eventually appointed Protector) for some time before and after he was born and reacted with surprise when he was told he had a son.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Not that it was specifically Clarence no, but that Edward of Westminster was killed after the Battle of Tewkesbury rather than during it is fairly widely accepted as far as I know. I know Paul Murry Kendall puts forward the theory that it was a group of Clarence's men who found the Prince of Wales after it was over and summarily chopped his head off.

I believe one of the contemporary chroniclers claims that Clarence and Lord Hastings killed him in Edward IV's presence. Unverifiable now, but another chronicler suggests that unnamed important people killed him, and their reluctance to name names does give it a feel of truth.

I enjoyed this week's episode. Apparently the idea of Warwick and the Lancastrians joining forces was was very much Louis of France's idea, and both Warwick and Margaret were at first horrified by it.

I must admit I hope we'll see some actual battles. I know they'd be expensive to do, but it seems contrary to do a drama on the Wars of the Roses and not have any. One of my favourite bits in Sharon Penman's The Sunne in Splendour is the Battle of Tewkesbury; the incident with the Duke of Somerset and Lord Wenlock is very dramatic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well The White Queen seems to have taken off, it's the 2nd most talked about subject on twitter :)