Options

Referendum Battle Getting Underway

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
We've all seen Dave traipsing round Europe this week and Labour dropping their objection to the Referendum to get on with campaigning to stay in

Now the antis are getting organised

Today Farage pitched his claim to lead the Anti campaign, inviting Tory and Labour eurosceptics to fall in behind him

But in another development 50 Tory MPs have started a new group, Conservatives For Britain, expected to grow to 100 MPs within a few days

The group is getting ready for Cameron to fail to achieve meaningful reforms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11657082/conservatives-plot-britains-eu-exit.html

the battle lines are being drawn up.........this is going to dominate British politics for the next 2 years and the political outlook is very unclear. It could be a rocky ride for everyone, particularly the Tories

Comments

• Options
    _Call_Me_Dave__Call_Me_Dave_ Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I am not quite sure waiting until the last minute before deciding on whether campaign to leave is the best tactic.

The name Conservatives for Britain bears a striking similarity to Business for Britain. If they do form an umbrella campaign group, CfB could be left sorely disappointed. Business for Britain have previously stated that they may campaign to stay in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the point is that the campaign is going to start NOW.......it can't be put to one side until 2017

At every stage the Pro and Anti will be reacting to the minutae of negotiations, every utterance of every European politician, spinning the developments, demanding clarifications.........the process of negotiation will itself become the battleground of the campaign as the Pro and Anti camps put forward their demands as to what Cameron should be negotiating for

Neither side is going to passively wait for a couple of years to see what the outcome might be........
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    When Politicians from all the major parties + billion quid companies + banks all come together to tell the public which way to vote, alarm bells start ringing. It's basically all the people the public don't like coming together to try and bully the public to vote the 'right way'.

It almost feels like they'll say anything to make us vote to stay in so their profits aren't effected and they can continue to screw people over. I won't be voting to stay in, Cameron won't get anything serious out of the EU. We should just go back to what people voted for in 1975, a free trade agreement/part of the single market and move on.
  • Options
    _Call_Me_Dave__Call_Me_Dave_ Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think the point is that the campaign is going to start NOW.......it can't be put to one side until 2017

At every stage the Pro and Anti will be reacting to the minutae of negotiations, every utterance of every European politician, spinning the developments, demanding clarifications.........the process of negotiation will itself become the battleground of the campaign as the Pro and Anti camps put forward their demands as to what Cameron should be negotiating for

Neither side is going to passively wait for a couple of years to see what the outcome might be........
    I believe the article states that CfB will campaign to leave if Dave cannot win radical reform from Brussels.

You are correct an Out campaign should start immediately but that is not what CfB are stating they will do. They will wait until Dave comes back from Brussels with a few token concessions before starting the campaign.
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    When Politicians from all the major parties + billion quid companies + banks all come together to tell the public which way to vote, alarm bells start ringing. It's basically all the people the public don't like coming together to try and bully the public to vote the 'right way'.

It almost feels like they'll say anything to make us vote to stay in so their profits aren't effected and they can continue to screw people over. I won't be voting to stay in, Cameron won't get anything serious out of the EU. We should just go back to what people voted for in 1975, a free trade agreement/part of the single market and move on.
    Wikileaks have released documents related to the Trade In Services Agreement which will cover the European Union. Quite worrying stuff.
    "Today's leaks of TISA (trade in services) text reveal once again how dangerous Fast Track Authority is when it comes to protecting citizen rights vs. corporate rights," he added. "This TISA text again favors privatization over public services, limits governmental action on issues ranging from safety to the environment using trade as a smokescreen to limit citizen rights."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/03/wikileaks-secret-trade-deals_n_7504548.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
    Under the agreement, retailers like Zara or Marks & Spencers would have the right to open stores in any of the signing countries and be treated like domestic companies. A nationalised service, such as the British telecoms industry in the eighties, would have to ensure it was not harming competition under these terms.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/trade-agreements-like-tisa-tpp-and-ttip-will-sideline-national-laws-wikileaks-says-10299907.html
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, once Shiney face has finished his pointless "traipsing around" realises he's fighting a loosing battle, comes home and sets a date.......sooner the better AFAIC..... May next year anyone?. BTW, he'll be fighting for the staying in brigade.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure "Conservatives For Britain" will provide a welcome and constructive contribution both to the government and more important the Tory party for at least the next five years and for many years to come especially if the outcome of the referendum is a yes vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These CfB types are being a bit disingenuous around the news studios........the official line appears to be that they are supporting the PM in his efforts to negotiate substantial reforms to the EU

But the sub-text is that they're going to keep pressuring him to ask for 'reforms' that he either doesn't want or can't get and that they're setting the bar so high that he is bound to fail in their eyes and give them the green light to campaign to leave

Tricky coupe of years ahead for Cameron.......the age old problem of trying to keep the party together over Europe
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    We've all seen Dave traipsing round Europe this week and Labour dropping their objection to the Referendum to get on with campaigning to stay in

Now the antis are getting organised

Today Farage pitched his claim to lead the Anti campaign, inviting Tory and Labour eurosceptics to fall in behind him

But in another development 50 Tory MPs have started a new group, Conservatives For Britain, expected to grow to 100 MPs within a few days

The group is getting ready for Cameron to fail to achieve meaningful reforms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11657082/conservatives-plot-britains-eu-exit.html

the battle lines are being drawn up.........this is going to dominate British politics for the next 2 years and the political outlook is very unclear. It could be a rocky ride for everyone, particularly the Tories

...and so it begins:

50 Tories plot Britain's exit from EU
    More than 50 Conservative MPs are plotting to lead the campaign to leave the European Union, in a move that will electrify the battle for Britain’s future place in the world. A new group, Conservatives for Britain (CfB), will formally support David Cameron’s efforts to negotiate better terms for Britain’s membership of the EU in talks with other European leaders...The group has already signed up more than 50 MPs, including former Cabinet ministers Owen Paterson and John Redwood, organisers say. They expect numbers to rise to 100, or more, including several current ministers, within days.

While I expected a move like this, I did not expect it so soon. Already MPs from this groups have been speaking on TV programmes and thus giving the impression of a divided Conservative party which is not necessarily a helpful thing to do.

• Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .this is going to dominate British politics for the next 2 years and the political outlook is very unclear. It could be a rocky ride for everyone, particularly the Tories

Sometimes I reckon the prime minster looks back to 23 January 2013 and thinks "what have I done ?"

And for viewers, a reminder of what he said just over 2 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ls60Wbq_dk