Al Murray fanAl Murray fan Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
A thread for all the Richard o Sullivan fans. The man's a legend! :cool:

Here is a list of some of the great shows he did:

Man About the House
Dick Turpin
Robin's Nest

Its a shame that nobody rarely speaks about him. He's changed a awful lot since the 70's!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I believe he's in a home near me for actors who can no longer work due to ill health(fluff freeman was also there).
    We used to see him alot in Ascot high street years ago and he always said hello.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    I believe he's in a home near me for actors who can no longer work due to ill health(fluff freeman was also there).
    We used to see him alot in Ascot high street years ago and he always said hello.

I saw him a few weeks ago near where he lives at Brinsworth House. I recognised him immediately although he obviously does look very different to how he did in the 70s, don't we all!

I smiled and he smiled back. He walks with a stick but was alone.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wiki confirms that he lives at Brinsworth House following a stroke in 2003 - he is only 64 for heaven's sake! I wonder what happened to his marriage to Tessa Wyatt, formerly wife to Tony Blackburn. It is really sad news for us who thought he was a real star of his era. (I am showing my age here!):cry:
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed some of his old shows - Man About The House and Robin's Nest in particular.

It's a shame to hear that he's not been in the best of health in recent years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiki confirms that he lives at Brinsworth House following a stroke in 2003 - he is only 64 for heaven's sake! I wonder what happened to his marriage to Tessa Wyatt, formerly wife to Tony Blackburn. It is really sad news for us who thought he was a real star of his era. (I am showing my age here!):cry:

I believe Tessa and their son Jamie visit Richard O'Sullivan weekly. She married a businessman in 1986 and has two children with him.

This is what he looks like now.
    http://www.robertross.co.uk/USERIMAGES/teacher.jpg
  • Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him 4 years ago at Brinsworth house when visiting a friend there. He seems to have recovered somewhat since then. Good for him as he was a great actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    I believe Tessa and their son Jamie visit Richard O'Sullivan weekly. She married a businessman in 1986 and has two children with him.

Thanks for the information vidalia. The man stood to Richard's right seems familiar, anyone know who he is?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information vidalia. The man stood to Richard's right seems familiar, anyone know who he is?

I forget his name but he used to be a Seargant in The Bill. Larry something perhaps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's Larry Dann. He played Sergeant Alec Peters in the Bill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Larry Dann. He played Sergeant Alec Peters in the Bill.

That's it! I could see him in police uniform. Thanks.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I used to see Richard O'Sullivan in Richmond ( Surrey) about 1990. He looked a little eccentric then with very long grey hair and wearing long scarves. He would have only been in his 40's but looked older.

Good to hear is on the mend, and I wish him well.

Man about the House was a favourite, but I never liked the one where he ran a restaurant with that Irishman with one arm.:D
  • Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw " Man about the House" only yesterday on paramount comedy.. I think?? or one of those channels as I was flicking through my cable channels for something to watch.

Can't say I remember much about the actual shows when they were first broadcast, a little too young at the time. I recall Robin's Nest a little better; because I'm pretty sure that was still on in the early 80s. Obviously seen the repeats since then though.

Good theme tune:D
  • CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw " Man about the House" only yesterday on paramount comedy.. I think?? or one of those channels as I was flicking through my cable channels for something to watch.

Good theme tune:D

And this theme tune was great too.

O'Sullivan as Dick Turpin. Fantastic. Loved 'Swift Nick'.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    he was a great actor - it seems sad that illness seems to have forced him to retire from acting at such an early age - it must be nearly 30 years since he was last on telly.

glad he's ok.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to fancy the pants off him:o Love Robin's Nest and Me and My Girl. The man is indeed a legend.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    he was a great actor - it seems sad that illness seems to have forced him to retire from acting at such an early age - it must be nearly 30 years since he was last on telly.

glad he's ok.

He was still making TV appearances throughout the 90s, one of the last being an edition of This Is Your Life.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't he a child star in the 50s?
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    I used to love Men and My Girl and I have the boxset of Man About The House. I wish Me and My Girl was out on DVD.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    funnily enough I was watching Man about the House yesterday and I thought he acted the same way as Hugh Grant
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which one?
  • Al Murray fanAl Murray fan Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    Which one?

He's the one with the walking stick.

He's changed hell of a lot, but I think that's down to the illness he's got.
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I zoomed the pic 400% and I can see a likeness.

'Likeness' is probably the wrong word, but you know what I mean. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »
    funnily enough I was watching Man about the House yesterday and I thought he acted the same way as Hugh Grant

It would be more a case of Hugh Grant acting like Richard O'Sullivan.

I used to love Man about the House when I was younger.
  • soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Sullivan was an effortlessly likeable actor - I suppose Robert Lindsay channels him a little in some aspects of his 'My Family' character.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracking actor. Have also been watching the repeats of MABTH and RN on Paramount. He's still relatively young and it's a shame he's been so ill. Strokes are the pits.