Comments

• Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    RyJa wrote: »
    Monty Python's The Life of Brian.

One of the funniest films ever made :)

One of my all time favourite films.

Ironically i had never heard of it until we watched it in year 11 religious studies class!
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The Burt Lancaster version of "Elmer Gantry" also drew some complaints, although had the
    film been released in the 1980s, when the Protestant Fundamentalists it satirizes were more
    powerful, it would have attracted far more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

The Last Temptation of Christ (only in the US and the UK, and maybe Ireland?)

A group of French neo-fascists actually bombed a cinema
    showing "Last Temptation" :eek: :

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/09/world/religious-war-ignites-anew-in-france.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    The Kevin Smith film Dogma was heavily criticised when it was released, and the premiere had a protest outside, attended by a placard waving Kevin Smith. Yup the man protested his own movie. There is footage of it on YouTube somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Kevin Smith film Dogma was heavily criticised when it was released, and the premiere had a protest outside, attended by a placard waving Kevin Smith. Yup the man protested his own movie. There is footage of it on YouTube somewhere.

Maybe he thought "No such thing as
    bad publicity...."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Maybe he thought "No such thing as
    bad publicity...."

Oh clearly yeah, you can tell he is far from being serious about it.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Derek Jarman's Sebastiane 1976 caused a fair rumpus. Especially when shown on Channel 4 in the early 80s.
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natural Born Killers was heavily criticised in the paper when it was released. I saw both at the cinema and bitterly regret and resent having paid money to see them till this day.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My RE teacher's main objection was to the fact that Alanis Morissette was God.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Golden Compass is the most ridiculous one. This was based on a series of books full of talking bears, witches, magical knives and, most importantly, your thoughts and feelings being personified as a talking animal able to change it's shape! My point is, these books are NOT based in our Universe. Yes, book 2 is meant to be partly based in it, but the rest of the worlds introduced are so fantasy based you are just so not meant to take this seriously.

The core element of the story is that particles of matter, Dust, created "God," and said being later took credit for the creation of everything else. In the time of the books, he is ancient, and the running of affairs is left to his very violent second in command.
    FYI: the books are awesome. Hugely recommended.

My point is, this is clearly a work of fiction, yet the Church were outraged by it. Why? I mean, come on. Pullman wasn't actually trying to claim this is true! Okay, so the Church is depicted as an evil organization based on control in the film. Yep, so terribly far from the truth...

I mean, come on! This not only was a reason why they never made the sequels (another reason was the film actually sucked) but also a reason why the first film suffers.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

I agree with him, especially when she screams. Unnecessary.
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    Down with this kind of thing!

booooo booooo, ahhh hello father how are ye
  • Options
    Forum Member

So THAT'S why the Universe is so messed up! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The Exorcist - Even though it depicts evil being overcome by Christianity

The Last Temptation of Christ - Even though it depicts Christ overcoming that final temptation and accepting his role as saviour
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Frank Capra's The Bitter Tea of General Yen had the Women's Clubs in America up in arms in 1933 as it depicted 25 year old Barbara Stanwyck as a Missionary falling in love with a Chinese war lord.

Another Stanwyck/Capra film The Miracle Woman was banned in the UK because it was accused of irreverence, she played a phony evangelist, based supposedly on Aimee Semple Macpherson.

In 1961 Kings of Kings was flayed by the critics, who retitled it, "I Was a Teenage Jesus" :D

They also sneered at Jeffrey Hunter's shaven armpits when he was up on the Cross.