CS: Terrible treatment for an original great character - Dennis Tanner

Comments

• Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious if the people who say he should never have come back have seen his 1960s episodes?

I loved his comeback at the time, not least because there was still a lot of mileage in the character when Philip Lowrie left originally. Tying Rita into his return was a clever move but after that they should have stayed friends, and introduced a new younger generation of Tanners with Dennis as the irresponsible grandpa. Corrie could have reconnected with its comic roots, and a new Elsie would have gone down well if written properly. Sadly Dennis's comeback has been a succession of 'what ifs' but that doesn't mean the idea to bring him back was a bad one.

To be honest, Digital Spy is weird when it comes to soaps anyway, the general opinions seem to be the opposite of what I read everywhere else.

I have fond memories of Dennis Tanner in the 60s, and I'm sorry to see him being written out. They just didn't make the best use of his character . I couldn't imagine Dennis ending up with an older woman for a start or that he would have ended up on the streets. You always felt that he was a survivor.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was always flighty.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted twice elsewhere but this was just so shocking, so incredibly awful on so many levels, it was almost breathtaking to behold.

They spent months building up Dennis and Rita. Everything leading up to the episode's final moments was a contrivance - a way of writing out Gloria and Dennis.

And the way he smugly chuckled as he waved her goodbye shows the writers either didn't grasp or didn't care about all the groundwork everyone - writers, production staff, the actors - had put into that relationship. Shocking.

It just made him out to be a completely unfeeling user, even worse than Lewis. Whatever he was in his early years, he wasn't a sociopath as far as I can remember him.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious if the people who say he should never have come back have seen his 1960s episodes?

I loved his comeback at the time, not least because there was still a lot of mileage in the character when Philip Lowrie left originally. Tying Rita into his return was a clever move but after that they should have stayed friends, and introduced a new younger generation of Tanners with Dennis as the irresponsible grandpa. Corrie could have reconnected with its comic roots, and a new Elsie would have gone down well if written properly. Sadly Dennis's comeback has been a succession of 'what ifs' but that doesn't mean the idea to bring him back was a bad one.

To be honest, Digital Spy is weird when it comes to soaps anyway, the general opinions seem to be the opposite of what I read everywhere else.

I agree.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's not his exit, he will be back but while I'm completely disgusted at his axing, tonight was very in character for Dennis I have to say. Maybe not true to his relationship with Rita in particular though.
  • MyBeautifulHairMyBeautifulHair Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the fixation on getting rid but not really? Tiny Fireman tried to leave but came back then left for good, Tina went to that London then she's back, we think we're getting rid of Soup Kitchen/Sponger/Dennis but we're not? He must go. What a wasted opportunity that whole fiasco was. I am looking forward to seeing Rita miserable, though.:)
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the OP, the writers shouldn't be hidebound by Corrie's past, but have some respect for it.

I liked the sense of continuity from the old timers and Rita and Dennis could have shown a positive side of being old and wise. Instead, the message is "there's no fool like an old fool", as usual.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    I agree that the exit was rubbish, however I agree with the decision by corrie to axe the character. They should never have brought him back.

I disagree with all of that. Most times, a character is as good as the script.
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible treatment of the character. Trying to steal from the till was unnecessary (although hitting Norris was satisfying, although laughably fake). He should of left it at there, but nope have to try and demonise the character as much as possible. What a waste his return as been, feel bad for the actor.
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible treatment of the character. Trying to steal from the till was unnecessary (although hitting Norris was satisfying, although laughably fake). He should of left it at there, but nope have to try and demonise the character as much as possible. What a waste his return as been, feel bad for the actor.

I totally agree. Very lazy writing.
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't really express how sad I am Philip Lowrie was brought back to do nothing and how completely inept the writers seem to be. They didn't know what to do with him so they turned him into a henpecked sponger. Great going, guys.

I can only hope they soon get some decent writers and storyliners and try and find a place for Dennis to come back in the future. But I won't hold my breath. >:(
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An insult to the actor:(
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There could have been lots of scope for a new generation of Tanners but instead Blackburn wants to invest in deadwood like Sean, Maria, Maddie etc!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    There could have been lots of scope for a new generation of Tanners but instead Blackburn wants to invest in deadwood like Sean, Maria, Maddie etc!
    Agree with you there. So many unanswered questions, scenes we'd never see.

A shame.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Blackburn arrogant?
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catmittens wrote: »
    Can't really express how sad I am Philip Lowrie was brought back to do nothing and how completely inept the writers seem to be. They didn't know what to do with him so they turned him into a henpecked sponger. Great going, guys.

I can only hope they soon get some decent writers and storyliners and try and find a place for Dennis to come back in the future. But I won't hold my breath. >:(

Totally agree with you. They should never have got rid of him. Hes got alot of history and, as a previous poster said, they should have explored what happened to his family. I suppose the writers are catering for the younger viewers who dont know him. I do hope he comes back. He was shoddily treated.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So true
    It's frighteningly disgusting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member

Your absolutely right ...keep the deadwood and get rid of a good character...but Corrie always keeps the characters we hate and gets rid of the ones we like. That show is full of deadwood.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a stupid idiotic exit. Who wrote this? Well whoever did do not respect the character. I know he has always been a rogue, but that was just awful especially as he didn't seem to have a care in the world. Rushed, badly written exit. What a waste for Philip Lowrie and Sue Johnston. Dennis' axing was an idiotic decision, not only is he an original created by Tony Warren but seeing as we are having problems with Ken Barlow it was great having him in the street.

Seriously stop axing the great actors and get in some decent new writers. And this is yet another separation in the past few months with the husband deserting his partner, now we must endure Rita's pain for the next few weeks.

Sorry for the rant, but what a pathetic end.

I had no problem with it, in fact I was glad to see him go. I've never liked the character and have always been puzzled why people see him as a "loveable rogue" rather than the con artist he is and always has been.

I do agree that they need new writers though. It just goes from bad to worse! A team of 11 year olds could come up with better writing.
  • judy08judy08 Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Sorry to see Dennis go, especially after he thumped Norris. Pity he didn't hit him again on the way out.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he is gone for good now I will be glad of it, while yes he could have potentially been a good link to the past, the past few weeks going round and round in circles with Rita has been painful to watch. Absolutely mind numbing stuff, as is Gail's new relationship. What are Corrie at these days? It's just gone so, so boring!
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it sad when he mentioned Elsie and how she used to give him "a clip round the ear" while standing outside his old house. As others have said there was so much history with Dennis and just to bring him back to be Rita's latest husband and then get rid of him, what an insult to an original character.>:(
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sad because Dennis was a great character in his own right in the 60s, and we saw none of that in his return. As I've said before, the first mistake was him and Rita getting together - the dynamic never worked. Agree that making him a henpecked sponger was the wrong direction to go.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an interesting blog post about Dennis' disappointing return
    http://coronationstreetupdates.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/my-disappointment-in-dennis.html

So many wasted opportunities, and we never found out about Linda either or her nephews and her husband Ivan. The strange thing is Dennis even shared a scene with Bill Webster around the time of his return, and Linda had stayed with Bill for a few weeks back in 1984 when Elsie sold the house to him.

I wonder if we will hear what happened to Dennis, or is he simply going to be forgotten about with no mention again? Hate how they made him so dependent on Rita, yet he managed most of his life without her.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an interesting blog post about Dennis' disappointing return
    http://coronationstreetupdates.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/my-disappointment-in-dennis.html

So many wasted opportunities, and we never found out about Linda either or her nephews and her husband Ivan. The strange thing is Dennis even shared a scene with Bill Webster around the time of his return, and Linda had stayed with Bill for a few weeks back in 1984 when Elsie sold the house to him.

I wonder if we will hear what happened to Dennis, or is he simply going to be forgotten about with no mention again? Hate how they made him s xo dependent on Rita, yet he managed most of his life without her.

That blog was spot on and the comments following it. I hope the stupid producers take note of what people are saying but Im not holding my breath. As alot of posters have said, no history was brought up and discussed which was a waste. They obviously dont care about us older viewers. They probably think we wont be around for much longer so they dont need to bother. The best part if Corrie are the meerkat bits. The rest is rubbish.