DTC should step down

Comments

• OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lolz! :D:D:D

Why do so many soap fans labour under the constant delusion that somewhere out there the 'Soap Messiah' is just waiting in the wings to come in and rescue their particular soap?:D

As soon as every ep isn't 'brilliant tonite innit' in their blinkered eyes, they assume that the EP has to go and some new 'Saviour' be brought in who has magically found the secret of pleasing everybody all of the time. :kitty:

But frankly dan2008 - unless you've suddenly had a Damascene moment, after all your years of blind defending and lauding of EE, you really should at least have the grace to blush right now. ;-)
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I think DTC is good for EastEnders at the mo and so is Alex Lamb. The show is in better shape than it was. My main issue is with pacing.
    The pacing is terrible. The plot holes are worse though.

He improved it and had a good start of the year. It got rubbish in the summer and improved for a couple of weeks in September but apart from the odd half decent episode it's just not doing it for me.

I am not an EastEnders hater far from it as many on this form know. I just don't think the show is anywhere near as good and unmissable as it could be and should be.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Alex Lamb. He was terrible on Waterloo Road as well. I also agree Shirley has split EE fans opinion right down the middle. While Linda did deserve quality material making her a main A List face of the show in The Vic was a mistake.

On the whole though DTC is great. Lets never forget just how terrible Bryan Kirkwood was and if you need a reminder then spend a few minutes watching this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJq5SVX1_8
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    No
    I agree about Alex Lamb. He was terrible on Waterloo Road as well. I also agree Shirley has split EE fans opinion right down the middle. While Linda did deserve quality material making her a main A List face of the show in The Vic was a mistake.

On the whole though DTC is great. Lets never forget just how terrible Bryan Kirkwood was and if you need a reminder then spend a few minutes watching this ;)

I disagree with you about Shirley. I think she should be an A list face in the Vic with her family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I disagree with you about Shirley. I think she should be an A list face in the Vic with her family.

Why? her character doesn't connect with the casual audience. There is Shirley's problem. Outside this cult she seems to have there is an issue in getting viewers to relate with her. They have tried several times to push her as the new Pat but Pat was a different kettle of fish. While she was a bitch at the beginning she was universally popular. Then Frank made her a legend. 8 years on and Shirley isn't anywhere close to that and never will be.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    No
    dan2008 wrote: »
    The pacing is terrible. The plot holes are worse though.

He improved it and had a good start of the year. It got rubbish in the summer and improved for a couple of weeks in September but apart from the odd half decent episode it's just not doing it for me.

I am not an EastEnders hater far from it as many on this form know. I just don't think the show is anywhere near as good and unmissable as it could be and should be.

I must admit I did enjoy Sept* but like Aug, Oct has been a bit of let down. The Cottons have been the best thing about the show recently. Though having said that, others may have really enjoyed those months. It looks like it is hotting up for Christmas now. I kind of think because they are waiting for Christmas and the 30th for the big stories to implode, that is why it is lacking in quality at the mo. Like they were saving up all the big stories for Sept and so August suffered with lots of filler. Week 46-48 are looking good.:)

*I enjoyed the wedding week, it just went on far to long.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Lolz! :D:D:D

Why do so many soap fans labour under the constant delusion that somewhere out there the 'Soap Messiah' is just waiting in the wings to come in and rescue their particular soap?:D

As soon as every ep isn't 'brilliant tonite innit' in their blinkered eyes, they assume that the EP has to go and some new 'Saviour' be brought in who has magically found the secret of pleasing everybody all of the time. :kitty:

But frankly dan2008 - unless you've suddenly had a Damascene moment, after all your years of blind defending and lauding of EE, you really should at least have the grace to blush right now. ;-)

Sarah Phelps walks amongst us o heathen jaded one. She will part the Deadwood Sea and lead us to the Promised Land of 30 million viewers. >:(>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know

They look great. Can't wait. :D
    Forum Member
    No
    Why? her character doesn't connect with the casual audience. There is Shirley's problem. Outside this cult she seems to have there is a problem in getting viewers to relate with her. They have tried several times to push her as the new Pat but Pat was a different kettle of fish. While she was a bitch at the beginning she was universally popular. Then Frank made her a legend. 8 years on and Shirley isn't anywhere close to that and never will be.

Shirley does have a lot of fans in the casual audience. If you look on facebook and twitter you will see quite a few. No character is universally liked but a lot of viewers do like her. The reason Shirley isn't a 'legend' yet is because she has never been explored or developed. She has just been used as an add on for the Mitchells. I am pleased that she is being explored in her own right and she definitely deseves her place on the show. And Shirley worked alongside Peggy in the Vic for a long time so I think it works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Sarah Phelps walks amongst us o heathen jaded one. She will part the Deadwood Sea and lead us to the Promised Land of 30 million viewers. >:(>:(

Sarah would be a dream but I think is too good for EE now. Be very interesting to see what she would do with the show though.

EE has only ever had four good EPs in my opinion. Julia Smith, Corinne Hollingworth, Matthew Robinson and John Yorke. Diederick Santer comes close to joining them though.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Why? her character doesn't connect with the casual audience. There is Shirley's problem. Outside this cult she seems to have there is an issue in getting viewers to relate with her. They have tried several times to push her as the new Pat but Pat was a different kettle of fish. While she was a bitch at the beginning she was universally popular. Then Frank made her a legend. 8 years on and Shirley isn't anywhere close to that and never will be.

i 100% disagree shirley is currently the most poplular character played by a fantastic actress
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley does have a lot of fans in the casual audience. If you look on facebook and twitter you will see quite a few. No character is universally liked but a lot of viewers do like her. The reason Shirley isn't a 'legend' yet is because she has never been explored or developed. She has just been used as an add on for the Mitchells. I am pleased that she is being explored in her own right and she definitely deseves her place on the show. She isn't the main face of the family either, I don't know where that has come from.
    I keep an eye on the Facebook page and I see no evidence of this. I do see a very loud and vocal minority always shouting about how great she is but no actual evidence the audience like her. Has Linda ever won a viewer voted award? has she ever even made a shortlist in one?
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    No

I just really enjoy Shirley and it was down to her that the Carters bought The Vic which pushes her more to the forefront. I do think it's time she has a new man to get her away from Phil.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    No

]

Doesn't every character split fans opinions....Phil, Ronnie, Stacey, Kat, Sharon, even Dot.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »

:D GO SARAH!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

(Whoever you are). :confused::blush:
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    i 100% disagree shirley is currently the most poplular character played by a fantastic actress

LMAO

I think this just highlights what HEUS was saying. The cult of Shirley fanidom. :p
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I think the problem with Eastenders and probably a lot of the soaps is that they go round in circles and repeat storyline's. Many viewers have switched off because they have seen it all before. Currently Alfie and Kat are doing a Billy and being poor and homeless.

I don't think Shirley being a main character and in the Vic will pull people back and she is obviously one of the favourites of the EP, in fact it is more likely to make people switch off. She is not a nice character and they have tried to change her back story to make the audience feel sorry for her and in my opinion it has failed. She dumped her children, she dumped Heather whenever Phil called and then they made her have this secret child that was a complete rewrite of her back story just to make us feel sorry for poor drunken old Shirley. Then they had the tedious story of her being obsessed with Phil.

People disappear for weeks on end with no mention, where's Ian for example you don't even see him walking about the square.

The other problem is that they have murderers walking around the square without a hint of remorse, Stacey preaching to Alfie about the fire is absolutely farcical when she murdered someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know
    Sarah would be a dream but I think is too good for EE now. Be very interesting to see what she would do with the show though.

EE has only ever had four good EPs in my opinion. Julia Smith, Corinne Hollingworth, Matthew Robinson and John Yorke. Diederick Santer comes close to joining them though.

I agree with you. She and Tony Jordan have outgrown EE. Our loss, their gain. I would largely agree with you on those EPs that I recognize (Smith, Yorke, Robinson). I did like a lot of Louise Berridge's work and feel she had an unprecedented run of bad luck that derailed her plans.
    Forum Member
    No
    I keep an eye on the Facebook page and I see no evidence of this. I do see a very loud and vocal minority always shouting about how great she is but no actual evidence the audience like her. Has Linda ever won a viewer voted award? has she ever even made a shortlist in one?

Have a look on the picture of Shirleys return. She got a lot of good comments there, on twitter, on the EE website and under the stories on Ds in the comments section. I think you are being a little harsh on her tbh. And being a fan of Shirley doesn't mean 'Shirley cult'. That's ridiculous. Surely you can accept that she does have her fans, just because you aren't one? Her return ep last year got 8million viewers.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Have a look on the picture of Shirleys return. She got a lot of good comments there, on twitter and on the EE website. I think you are being a little harsh on her tbh. And being a fan of Shirley doesn't mean 'Shirley cult'. That's ridiculous. Surely you can accept that she does have her fans, just because you aren't one? Her return ep last year got 8million viewers.

Being selective there. ;) Several Shirley centric episodes this year have been EEs lowest rating :blush: Lets keep thats as our secret ok :p
    Forum Member
    No
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I just really enjoy Shirley and it was down to her that the Carters bought The Vic which pushes her more to the forefront. I do think it's time she has a new man to get her away from Phil.

I agree.

Plus I know there are a few posters on here that love to bash Shirley (usually the same posters, numerous times) but this thread isn't even about her so why has it descended into this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    :D GO SARAH!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

(Whoever you are). :confused::blush:

Do not besmirch our Soap Messiah's name!! >:(>:(:D
    She's a cracking writer, started on EE, wrote The Crimson Field and is adapting JK Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' for the telly. She had a knack of making me believe the unbelievable.
    Forum Member
    No
    Being selective there. ;) Several Shirley centric episodes this year have been EEs lowest rating :blush: Lets keep thats as our secret ok :p

I was just saying as an example. Some of the Shirley centric eps have had high ratings too. It's swings and round abouts on ratings. There have been loads of episodes where Shirley hasn't appeared that got low ratings too but no one says anything about the characters on them. I accept that there are people that don't like Shirley so why can't the people who don't, accept that there are those that do? Shirley is a good character and is more watchable than some on there imo.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Eastenders fans seem to be under the delusion that all it will take is a few months of decent quality drama and the viewers that have been lost will return. They won't, they're gone and will never come back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    I disagree but he is disappointingly under using characters and this can be seen with Johnny, my favourite character (with Peter) leaving imo cause he has had a lack of decent storylines on his own....yes I expected Johnny to leave but not so soon and I think DTC is partially to blame for this