Options

Sony Bravia X4500 TV?

I did a search on this TV, found no entries for it...
Was just wondering if anyone has it? and how they found it?

The contrast ratio is enormously higher than most TV's I've seen.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    The X series are high end sets, but I wouldn't just go chasing high contrast ratios, as there's no agreed standard method of measuring them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that Sony will use the same standard on Sony TV's so if I compare between their own range and not the others, the next best was (Z series) 100 000: 1 and the one I like (actually have ordered now!) is 1 000 000: 1

But that's interesting to know, thanks. I didn't realise about the lack of standard among manufacturers.

The Z series is really nice so I can only imagine the X being better since it's the flagship model. I've ordered it without seeing it in person =) but that also means I have the right to return when buying online....

Only slightly afraid of Humax Foxsat HDR compatibility by HDMI ....... there seems to be "an issue" sometimes with some TV's.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that Sony will use the same standard on Sony TV's so if I compare between their own range and not the others.

It would be nice to think so - but I wouldn't bet on it, certainly other manufacturers don't do so.

But above a certain point you're not going to see any difference anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can believe that Nigel..... like processor speeds. The last 3 laptops have been pretty much the same, and yet on paper are getting more and more super duper =)

What I can tell is this...
    My current TV, it was really expensive 3-4 years ago even compared to others at the time...A Philips ambilight one, 37PF9830. There was this one and the Sony floating design at the time that looked good. The Sony was 1000 more though. The Philips has a contrast of 5000:1 (on paper).

Nowadays, the vast majority of TV's available are cheap rubbish compared to the Philips! both build quality (wonky shiny plastic frames...just look at the reflections in them), poor picture quality. Cheap and nasty. Yet they allegedly have better specs.

I've just been up the road to check out the X4500....
    And wow. OK. It was a good choice!!!!!
    I don't know if it's going to have any annoying problems but the picture quality was noticably gorgeous and NATURAL, and the build quality pretty damned nice too.

You're right not to trust everything on paper though...that's why I was asking since I hadn't seen it in real...and even seeing it, won't know until I live with it =)

My only dislike is 260 watts power consumption.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can believe that Nigel..... like processor speeds. The last 3 laptops have been pretty much the same, and yet on paper are getting more and more super duper =)

What I can tell is this...
    My current TV, it was really expensive 3-4 years ago even compared to others at the time...A Philips ambilight one, 37PF9830. There was this one and the Sony floating design at the time that looked good. The Sony was 1000 more though. The Philips has a contrast of 5000:1 (on paper).

Nowadays, the vast majority of TV's available are cheap rubbish compared to the Philips! both build quality (wonky shiny plastic frames...just look at the reflections in them), poor picture quality. Cheap and nasty. Yet they allegedly have better specs.

I've just been up the road to check out the X4500....
    And wow. OK. It was a good choice!!!!!
    I don't know if it's going to have any annoying problems but the picture quality was noticably gorgeous and NATURAL, and the build quality pretty damned nice too.

You're right not to trust everything on paper though...that's why I was asking since I hadn't seen it in real...and even seeing it, won't know until I live with it =)

My only dislike is 260 watts power consumption.

You cant mention Philips on here :eek: we all hate them :D for their high failure rates & very poor customer service :)

The Sony was in fact one of the sets I looked at when recently changing until I saw the Panasonic V10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had awful trouble with Philips.... actually I bought the PF9710 or something like that originally.... and it claimed to be HD etc. but had a lower resolution. Also it was faulty and the body of the TV started to bend inward when hanging on its own TV stand. Oh and the ambilight whistled !!!! I could hear it in the next room !!!!

After many contacts, and finally a mail to the CEO, they replaced it with the PF9830 which has been great...but although has the required 1080p (x 1920) pixels, it only accepts a max of 1080i input. Also shuddery horizontal panning.

It's going to be demoted to the bedroom since my (Sony) projector light died =)))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had awful trouble with Philips.... actually I bought the PF9710 or something like that originally.... and it claimed to be HD etc. but had a lower resolution. Also it was faulty and the body of the TV started to bend inward when hanging on its own TV stand. Oh and the ambilight whistled !!!! I could hear it in the next room !!!!

After many contacts, and finally a mail to the CEO, they replaced it with the PF9830 which has been great...but although has the required 1080p (x 1920) pixels, it only accepts a max of 1080i input. Also shuddery horizontal panning.

It's going to be demoted to the bedroom since my (Sony) projector light died =)))

Yes it's very poor customer service, you should not have to write to the CEO to get a result! I have mainly had Sony over the years & for the most part they have been great sets. However (whispering this) about 4 or 5 years ago I bought a 32" CRT Philips Pixel plus which to be fair has never missed a beat but I was scared stiff parting with the best part of £1000 for something with Philips written on it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hehe =)
    There's also been a time...11 or 12 years ago I bought 2 Sony VCRs and my mother bought an identical one. They all died. Did funny things like not knowing when they were getting to the end of the reel and running at full turbo speed, thus breaking tapes and making a horrible noise! and throwing cassettes instead of injecting them. Actually that was the last VCR I ever bought. I tried the Philips CDi player =) great while it lasted. I tried also the Philips DCC player...great while it lasted. Ahem.

About the after sales help...its pretty much ALWAYS monkeys in callcentres off site (certainly in the case of Philips and also Sony) and even if they wanted to help, their hands are tied!

I have zero patience for being given the run around so usually find out the name of the CEO, then try their name @ their company *dot* their country. Usually works =)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hehe =)
    There's also been a time...11 or 12 years ago I bought 2 Sony VCRs and my mother bought an identical one. They all died. Did funny things like not knowing when they were getting to the end of the reel and running at full turbo speed, thus breaking tapes and making a horrible noise! and throwing cassettes instead of injecting them. Actually that was the last VCR I ever bought. I tried the Philips CDi player =) great while it lasted. I tried also the Philips DCC player...great while it lasted. Ahem.

About the after sales help...its pretty much ALWAYS monkeys in callcentres off site (certainly in the case of Philips and also Sony) and even if they wanted to help, their hands are tied!

I have zero patience for being given the run around so usually find out the name of the CEO, then try their name @ their company *dot* their country. Usually works =)

Yes, it's like banging your head against a wall with these call centres, if your question does not fit the script your done for :rolleyes: I usually find if you can get through to Tier 2 you stand a better chance but it's hard to get past the muppets :D