Options

Mrs Buddy Holly

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
Forum Member
Just reading her book and theres something not quite right.
Not heard much about her, was a big fan of Buddy though, so I thought Id read her book. All Im getting from this book is the Yoko vibe.

Comments

• Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading her book and theres something not quite right.
    Not heard much about her, was a big fan of Buddy though, so I thought Id read her book. All Im getting from this book is the Yoko vibe.

In what way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    In what way?

Well I didn't know much about her, nor him to be honest so I started with a very unbiased view. But what Im getting is the feeling of "cash cow", she seems to have lived on his name, due to only three months of marriage, for 50 years. An unfounded hatred of Peggy Sue, married to the drummer of the Crickets. An unconfirmed pregnancy, she didn't attend the funeral...which is understandable, but still strange. Nobody who know Buddy seems to know her.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She remarried long ago and I assumed moved on.

They dig her out now and then for documentaries, she doesn't say much just how they met and how wonderful he was.
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware that there was a Mrs. Buddy Holly until now. I'll have to google her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that there was a Mrs. Buddy Holly until now. I'll have to google her.

In all fairness to her she doesn't court the limelight but shes living off a 50 yr old legend
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all fairness to her she doesn't court the limelight but shes living off a 50 yr old legend

Isn't that somewhat a contradiction? You can't not 'court the limelight' and yet still be 'living off of' an association with someone - you'd have to be out there, year in, year out, selling your story, doing chat shows, be appearing in magazine column inches, gossip columns etc, and she's never done that!

From what I remember from documentaries I've seen, Maria Elena and Buddy were living/working away from his home town for most of their short marriage, not to mention the 'Winter Party' concert tour that resulted in his death being hot on the heels of their wedding. Also, Buddy wasn't always performing with The Crickets during that period of time, so they wouldn't have seen much of her at that time - I don't read anything sinister into that, and I've never had the impression that Maria Elena is trading off Buddy's name or her marriage. Quite the opposite, in fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't that somewhat a contradiction? You can't not 'court the limelight' and yet still be 'living off of' an association with someone - you'd have to be out there, year in, year out, selling your story, doing chat shows, be appearing in magazine column inches, gossip columns etc, and she's never done that!

From what I remember from documentaries I've seen, Maria Elena and Buddy were living/working away from his home town for most of their short marriage, not to mention the 'Winter Party' concert tour that resulted in his death being hot on the heels of their wedding. Also, Buddy wasn't always performing with The Crickets during that period of time, so they wouldn't have seen much of her at that time - I don't read anything sinister into that, and I've never had the impression that Maria Elena is trading off Buddy's name or her marriage. Quite the opposite, in fact.

You don't have to be in the limelight to be a golddigger (and I hate that term) but she did remarry and then divorced and then went back to using the name Holly...and tried to sue Peggy Sue