Options

Sound problems on TV?

I don't want to worry about this too much (maybe its me), but last night I thought there were sound problems on my TV (I have a new Panasonic G10 LCD) and the sound seemed tinny and metalic when watching HIGNFY - especially when Arlene was talking, it sounded weird and I kept wondering whether I'd done something wrong. It was like I could hear "whistling" in my ears :confused: Perhaps its better now.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I don't want to worry about this too much (maybe its me), but last night I thought there were sound problems on my TV (I have a new Panasonic G10 LCD) and the sound seemed tinny and metalic when watching HIGNFY - especially when Arlene was talking, it sounded weird and I kept wondering whether I'd done something wrong. It was like I could hear "whistling" in my ears :confused: Perhaps its better now.

Hey sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your new set.

Are you watching it through Freesat/Freeview or maybe a sky box?

Are you using a speaker system e.g 5.1 or using the TV's own speakers?

How has it been since? Just that program?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hey,

I'm watching with the intergrated Freeview tuner and the TV's own speakers :)
    I just had a gander now and it seems a bit better on BBC1 so maybe it was just that program as you say :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just watching TV downstairs and its like I can hear extra "vibrations" there too, maybe I've been watching too much TV :)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just watching TV downstairs and its like I can hear extra "vibrations" there too, maybe I've been watching too much TV :)
    It might be your ears, I've had a similar problem in the past. It disappeared though after a day or so, have you had a cold recently?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That might be it, good thinking :) I often get problems with my ears sometimes, or feel like I have a cold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How loud do you have your tv volume?

There has been a small batch a cases where, mainly V10's, have reported sound vibrations when the volume is turned up very high.

While i doubt this is the case with your set, it is always worth checking.

See if this happens when your volume level is high.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Over the past couple of days I think the sound problem has gone away, I pressed the "N" button on the remote (doesnt this restore the sound to its default setting?) and then made it quieter, so it might have been my ears :D
    I sometimes notice mild picture breakup even when the Signal on freeview was at 10, which is annoying. (Sorry for putting that here).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    Over the past couple of days I think the sound problem has gone away, I pressed the "N" button on the remote (doesnt this restore the sound to its default setting?) and then made it quieter, so it might have been my ears :D
    I sometimes notice mild picture breakup even when the Signal on freeview was at 10, which is annoying. (Sorry for putting that here).

Glad to hear sound problems have cleared for now.

As for the signal breakup i have seen this before on my own pana. I would wager that this only happens on the hard to receive channels. The signal quality bar is updated every second whereas the picture is refreshed MUCH quicker. I have found that the signal would drop out on certain channels (on-screen interference) but the 'signal quality' / 'signal strength' bars stayed at a constant 10/10. I watched this for about 15 mins until i saw a flicker which caused the bars to fall to 1/10. This only went down to 1/10 for a second before jumping back to 10/10. It's signal trouble i'd bet so don't worry.

When does your area go digital? 2011?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It goes digital in 2012 :) Sometimes I've noticed the signal quality bars on ITV, 4 and 5 are even at 7 or 8/10 or can flicker between 9 or 10/10. But the Signal Strength bars will be at 10/10.
    When I typed in my details it said I was getting the signal from "London" so probably that means the Crytsal Palace transmitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes digital in 2012 :) Sometimes I've noticed the signal quality bars on ITV, 4 and 5 are even at 7 or 8/10 or can flicker between 9 or 10/10. But the Signal Strength bars will be at 10/10.
    When I typed in my details it said I was getting the signal from "London" so probably that means the Crytsal Palace transmitter.

Yeah thats weird if its that good all the time. Have you had bad weather recently or maybe have an old VCR connected in your aerial loop? I've even seen electrical devices interfere with digital before, so if the missis is using her shredder nearby it could be that......it's a long shot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm still using a VCR so that maybe it, also our aerial lead is not the best, its kinda broken and the analogue reception sometimes "goes" (which leads to poor digital reception), ie the quality will go from Good to Poor. But sometimes it is fine so.. hmmm.
    I don't know what condition the connection cable (I assume its in our loft) is in.
    I live with parents :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thats good info. Try running the aerial directly into the TV but removing the VCR for a few days and see if that clears it up. If not it may well be 'liquid ingress' in your coaxial wire from your aerial. Is there any rusting to any aerial lead connectors when you remove them from the back of the set? This is fairly common enough, if so call in an local, reputable aerial/sat company to replace the cabling.

Sounds more likely to be aerial wire and connector if it is indeed broken.
  • Options
    popamberpopamber Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    i'm probably in the wrong place, but I have break up with my sound and vision only on channel 4, through Freeview in upstairs bedroom, the other 3 tellies all work fine. I have retuned several times?? Any clues, telly is modern, flatscreen etc and all other channels are fine?????