Options

Looking for recommendations for a AV Receiver and Speakers

I've got a Sony STR-DE595 AV receiver which I've had quite some time now. I've also got a set of Sony speakers I took off an old Pro-Logic stereo I had. They're probably not the best match for the amp, but they do work, and kick out a fair bit of noise. I've got all my HDMI stuff going through a 4-input 2-output switchbox. Switching between things is a lot of switching about of inputs, although that's handled by my remote, but it's troublesome and often one of them doesn't switch properly, despite changing timings on the remote.

I'm thinking of upgrading the lot and getting something newer. It'll also hopefully tidy up my HDMI setup a bit. I'm considering my options at the moment, so I'm just looking around.

Basically, I'm looking for an amp which is:
  • 4 HDMI Inputs
  • Optical and Coax inputs
  • 5.1, but 7.1 would be nice
  • Supports Blu-Ray audio formats

Pretty basic stuff. However, I have a projector and TV, so I ideally need two HDMI outputs. One option I've considered is a splitter if all else fails, but I'm trying to remove bits of kit, so it would sort of defeat the purpose.

Another thing I'd like is that the amp can operate in a 'passthrough' mode. I.e. it can just act as an HDMI switch, or I can turn it on full to have it make noise. A lot of stuff doesn't really need a full amp running when the TV speakers are sufficient.

I also want some nice new speakers. I like a full sound, not bass-heavy, so a massive sub isn't required (plus it'd have to go somewhere!). I've noticed a lot of speakers are getting quite small, but are still quite powerful. The room isn't massive, so I don't need anything too powerful.

All suggestions gratefully received. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingdavera wrote: »
    I've got a Sony STR-DE595 AV receiver which I've had quite some time now. I've also got a set of Sony speakers I took off an old Pro-Logic stereo I had. They're probably not the best match for the amp, but they do work, and kick out a fair bit of noise. I've got all my HDMI stuff going through a 4-input 2-output switchbox. Switching between things is a lot of switching about of inputs, although that's handled by my remote, but it's troublesome and often one of them doesn't switch properly, despite changing timings on the remote.

I'm thinking of upgrading the lot and getting something newer. It'll also hopefully tidy up my HDMI setup a bit. I'm considering my options at the moment, so I'm just looking around.

Basically, I'm looking for an amp which is:
    • 4 HDMI Inputs
    • Optical and Coax inputs
    • 5.1, but 7.1 would be nice
    • Supports Blu-Ray audio formats
    Pretty basic stuff. However, I have a projector and TV, so I ideally need two HDMI outputs. One option I've considered is a splitter if all else fails, but I'm trying to remove bits of kit, so it would sort of defeat the purpose.

Another thing I'd like is that the amp can operate in a 'passthrough' mode. I.e. it can just act as an HDMI switch, or I can turn it on full to have it make noise. A lot of stuff doesn't really need a full amp running when the TV speakers are sufficient.

I also want some nice new speakers. I like a full sound, not bass-heavy, so a massive sub isn't required (plus it'd have to go somewhere!). I've noticed a lot of speakers are getting quite small, but are still quite powerful. The room isn't massive, so I don't need anything too powerful.

All suggestions gratefully received. :)
    Re the passthrough issue. Try buying a TV with integrated receivers (freeview and/or satellite). TV Receivers - Freeview/Satellite boxes don't require HDMI for audio anyway, so you could connect them directly to the TV via SCART or HDMI, which would incorporate sound - or component with an analogue audio output. Then connect the digital audio out to the A/V Receiver using SPDIF optical or coax - this would save on two HDMI inputs.

Only blu-ray really benefits completely from HDMI, although it is also great as a PC input when used with a Radeon graphics cards.

But frankly, once you've got high quality audio you will never want to drop back to TV speakers for anything.

Try Richer Sounds for a wide range of theatre style high fidelity systems. But don't buy anything without listening to it. They'll let you do that in-store, usually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might wander over to Richer sounds and have a look sometime. There's one in Oxford.

From what I've found so far, without spending many thousands, I don't think I'm going to find what I want!
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    kingdavera wrote: »
    I might wander over to Richer sounds and have a look sometime. There's one in Oxford.

From what I've found so far, without spending many thousands, I don't think I'm going to find what I want!
    The ONKYO TXSR577 @ £299-95 has 4 HDMI inputs but only one output, a splitter would be needed - it does everything else you require.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr577/onky-txsr577-blk

I have a TV/PJ but only one HDMI output, I've been meaning to get a splitter but for the times we have the PJ on I find it's no hassle just swapping the cables over.

If you want x2HDMI outputs RS have an Onkyo TXNR905B going for £699.

http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/ONKY-TXNR905B/Onkyo+Txnr905+Blk.html

Otherwise you'd be looking at The Yamaha RXV3900 at just over 1k.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv3900/yama-rxv3900-blk

For the speakers, have a look at Q Acoustics 1010i.

5.1 package - http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/q-acoustics/1010i-5.1/qaco-1010i-5.1-pack

Stereo pair for surround backs - http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/q-acoustics/1010i/qaco-1010i-blk