Options

Pansonic TX-19LXD8 v TX-19X10

Hi all,

I seeking to buy two new 19 inch tv's to replace 23 year old hinari Sunrise sets. No, nothing to do with Digital Switch over - both Hinaris work with an FM modulator and play digital no problem. The wife is the problem!

I have been looking at both of the above sets and apart from; 8 has 5000- 1 contrast 10 has 4000-1, 8 has two HDMI sockets and 1 Scart, 10 has 2 scart and 1 HDMI. I have compared spec for spec and there are a few other minors things. I cannot find anything major or am I missing the elelphant in the room?

I asked the guy in the panasonic shop (I know a complete waste of time normally but you never know) and he said 10 was the replacement for 8 which was "last years model". Which of course it may well be.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help offered

Comments

• Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glamington wrote: »
    Hi all,

I seeking to buy two new 19 inch tv's to replace 23 year old hinari Sunrise sets. No, nothing to do with Digital Switch over - both Hinaris work with an FM modulator and play digital no problem. The wife is the problem!

I have been looking at both of the above sets and apart from; 8 has 5000- 1 contrast 10 has 4000-1, 8 has two HDMI sockets and 1 Scart, 10 has 2 scart and 1 HDMI. I have compared spec for spec and there are a few other minors things. I cannot find anything major or am I missing the elelphant in the room?

I asked the guy in the panasonic shop (I know a complete waste of time normally but you never know) and he said 10 was the replacement for 8 which was "last years model". Which of course it may well be.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help offered

Can't understand why you think asking the guy in the PANASONIC shop would be a waste of time when asking about a Panasonic TV? Ask about a sony and that would have been pointless!
    The x10 is this years model came out in april/may from memory. It has better pq, better connections and functionality. Still not a patch on the bigger x10 series but better than the lower quality 19" around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Thanks Skinj,

Well, why could he have not told me that? He clearly had no technical knowledge at all. I generally find there is one guy in a tech shop that knows the kit and you get refered to him if you ask where the "on" button is.

The presumtion is always that this years model will be better that last years - and in my 66 years of life I have found that not to be the case many times!

As an example.

The 8 has a true 19inch screen giving an aspect of 16:10, a 5000-1 contrast, 1764000 pixels (1680 x 1050)

The 10 has a 18.5 inch screen, aspect 16.9, conrast 4000-1, 1049088 pixels (1366 x 768)

The 8 has two HDMI sockets the 10 only has one

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Re asking the guys at a Panasonic shop ..... you are probably better off asking them than asking your average Curry's or Comet assistant, who seem to know less than I do about the various models. :(

I went into my local Sony dedicated shop a while back, asked about their DVD recorders and on the quiet they recommended the Panasonic ...... now I really did call that good customer service/advice considering they didn't sell them. ;)

Back to the two models, not sure whether Panny have sorted the screen fade problem on all their models. However, with the 26" old 8 model, if you are looking at the screen from the side there was this screen fade ..... have since read the Which? review of the new 10 model 26", and they have rectified this now. Check out whether this is the same on the 19".

Another thing that is annoying with the Panny's now, a lot of the models I notice do not have a swivel stand, even the 32". I have a feeling that once the digital switchover has happened and the rush on new tv's has been and gone, they concentrate on functionality and quality, rather than bashing the sets out at a realistic price that people will pay in order to cash in on the switchover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Thanks Stunty,

I am only looking at the 19 inch models. The Which review on the 10 comes out in Novemeber and I am gong to wait until then.

The review on the 8, done in Feb 09, said the picture was dull, text via VGA is small and blurred.

I will wait.

cheers