Options

The Tribe Channel 4 9pm (4-part series)

FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
Forum Member
THE new series of The Tribe will be shown on Channel 4 tonight (Thursday, June 11).

This first episode of a major new documentary series introduces one of the most charismatic, loud and fun-loving families on television.

Living in four mud huts in southern Ethiopia, a three-generational tribal family known to their friends and neighbours as the Ayke Mukos, have allowed cameras to film their lives.

Watching this(on +1 after BB) due to there being so few programmes with black people in them

Comments

• Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this type of programme fascinating, so glad I just noticed it's on.

I'm surprised the can get a mobile phone signal, we can't get one in our local pub!
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Everyone seems so happy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are children everywhere! It's like the African version of Benefit Street (but without the benefits)
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayke Muko likes a good moan :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice family. I'm laughing along already
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im watching this on +1 its very funny :D
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they say how old the father and his first wife were?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Did they say how old the father and his first wife were?

No but I'd guess about 78
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good programme will be watch again
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    uberman wrote: »
    Ayke Muko likes a good moan :p

Not sure everyone takes his moaning too seriously, with kids coming round to lob stones at Grandad's Hut.
    He got himself so worked up when his Son's told him to give up the meetings he had to told to go and have a lie down.
    The Bride negotiation and payment is enough to drive anyone garrity, pay over her lifetime then Her family can ask for extra payments further down the line, if they feel like it.

They all seem very smiley and cheerful his family.

How old is his second wife and how did they meet/negotiate, I can only guess she's been Married before and her husband is dead, as she's not a youngster.
  • Options
    GrolsGrols Posts: 299,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Families must be thrilled when they get a daughter. Unlike some communities where they are classed as subhuman :(
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed they don't have at least some mountain bikes for getting to adjacent villages, and I thought the guns were probably for fending off wild animals, but no they're just to impress your potential in-laws.

It looks like the old guy might have cancer or something.

The BBQ was very regimented, and what's with the hats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's sad watching her leave/being taken :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching but 1/2 hour behind. I don't think the series is as good as Bruce Parry's tribe series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how they charge their phones up?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I wonder how they charge their phones up?:confused:

At the market :D:D
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not a very good tit to fanny ratio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the old guy all he does is moan about everything (reminds me of my dad) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G3rol wrote: »
    At the market :D:D

Just seen that - so they can only charge them up once a week, my kids would be demented :o

Love the fact that the tribe are having the same problems as we do with lazy teenagers!
    ETA and teenagers that drain us of all our money and don't come home!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Dami looks so desperately unhappy after having her head shaved and being forced to live in the attic. I know it's their culture, it just seems really mean.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sickparrot wrote: »
    I'm amazed they don't have at least some mountain bikes for getting to adjacent villages, and I thought the guns were probably for fending off wild animals, but no they're just to impress your potential in-laws.

It looks like the old guy might have cancer or something.

The BBQ was very regimented, and what's with the hats?

The Interviewer asked why the oldest brother took a gun to the negotiation with the potential inlaws, he said it was to impress them.
    I'm guessing the interviewer knows enough about the negotiation process and relationships to know he didn't take the gun along because things could 'kick off'
    Expensive gun, good clothing, lots of goats and cattle, etc, etc, impresses inlaws and others, not the main reason for having them though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Dami looks so desperately unhappy after having her head shaved and being forced to live in the attic. I know it's their culture, it just seems really mean.:(

I thought the same :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I 'enjoyed' Mum's one sided chat with Dami at the end.
    Not so sure Hachi?? and Dami becoming best friends, as Mum wants, will be a good idea, Hachi needs a kick up the hole, I'm not listening, leave me alone, whatever'
    Comes back from town flaunting the clothes she's bought, possibly with what she lifted out of Mum's purse.

Mum and her friend having a moan/chat were amusing.
    'Look at the state of that Goat pen, people will think the owners died'
    'You're telling me'
    Something must be getting lost in translation, when Dad came into the hut with Dami's friends, he started moaning about someone been in the way, and there was giggling all round, I'm guessing that he intended to be funny, although it didn't sound it.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a lovely program. Poor Dami, I wonder how old she is?

The mobile phone thing surprised me, it's really the only western thing they have. Did anyone catch Kate Humble's film on Nomads last week. There was a man in Siberia, up a tree trying to get a signal on his mobile phone. The temperature was -30!:o
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It must have been quite horrible being covered with the butter and mud mixture. Probably smelt too.