The Avengers 1960s

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately haven't got this channel but knew immediately what episode you were referring to, simongvs70! Both cracking, but would give Who the edge mainly for a virtuoso performance from Tony Beckley. :cool:
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series link has arrived :)
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately haven't got this channel...
    That's unfortunate, as it's on Freeview, Freesat, Sky & Virgin.

Do you only get Freeview Light in your area?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    That's unfortunate, as it's on Freeview, Freesat, Sky & Virgin.

Do you only get Freeview Light in your area?

Must be the 'Light' cos definately not got it. (I'm pretty clueless about these things really! Mostly watch stuff on i-player these days.) Tempted to start looking at the DVDs, but have heard that they have not been the best of quality from a few people. Sound issues and the like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish True would put the advert breaks in the right places.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday's episode as good as ever!
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Drama are going to show the colour episodes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine so, check the listings I think they are nearly at the end of Series 4
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Series link has arrived :)

Doesn't seem to work all the time.

(I swear blind Sky are deleting The Avengers off my planner!)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "That" episode is due to be on tonight :D
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    "That" episode is due to be on tonight :D

Hellfire Club?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hellfire Club?

That's the one!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like episode 24 "A Sense of History" has been missed out

Can't think why.....

Steed and Emma investigate an assassination plot among a university's boisterously merry men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching so many of these days by day reveals just how few plots they used, not to mention the same locations. Plus some pretty terrible studio inserts for the close ups, complete with shadows being cast on the backdrop! :)
  • lovedayloveday Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I've been recording these Avengers episodes from freeview and then editing out the adverts tho only 2 breaks in the hour rather then, the normal 3 and each episode come out at around 48 and a half minutes. Are there cuts to every episode because I had a feeling that the running time would of been 52 minutes and if there is 4 minutes lost to each episode then I might just go and buy the black suitcase boxset instead
    Would appreciate any feedback on the running times. Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to the Sky EPG they are starting Season 5 (the first colour ones) tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either they're showing them in the wrong order or they're missing out episodes 1 and 2 cos they've started with episode 3 Escape In Time
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Watching so many of these days by day reveals just how few plots they used, not to mention the same locations. Plus some pretty terrible studio inserts for the close ups, complete with shadows being cast on the backdrop! :)
    Particularly noticable in the "golf" episode. The long to medium shots filmed outside, but all close ups filmed in the studio. They must have been standing just 2 or 3 feet in front of the backdrop, casting a shadow on it when they moved back a few inches. LOL.

And as for Patrick Macnee's stunt double!!!...
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tara King fan here :D Have every episode! Love The Avengers. None of my friends even know it existed, but I love it! I remember staying at my dads and when I was a kid and watching them all on VHS :D
    Forum Member
    Either they're showing them in the wrong order or they're missing out episodes 1 and 2 cos they've started with episode 3 Escape In Time

I wondered what was going on! Where are you getting your episode guide from? According to this: http://theavengers.tv/forever/peel.htm Only episode 1 of the colour series has been skipped.
    Shame, as The Fear Merchants is regarded as one of the better colour Emma Peel episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wondered what was going on! Where are you getting your episode guide from? According to this: http://theavengers.tv/forever/peel.htm Only episode 1 of the colour series has been skipped.
    Shame, as The Fear Merchants is regarded as one of the better colour Emma Peel episodes.

From here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Avengers_episodes#Season_5_.281967.29

That's original broadcast order whereas the link you posted is production order

If True Entertainment is showing them in production order then From Venus With Love should be on tonight

UPDATE :

FVWL is being shown tonight
    Forum Member
    From here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Avengers_episodes#Season_5_.281967.29

That's original broadcast order whereas the link you posted is production order

If True Entertainment is showing them in production order then From Venus With Love should be on tonight

UPDATE :

FVWL is being shown tonight

So it appears we are getting production order. Doesn't explain why they've skipped The Fear Merchants. How very extraordinary, as Steed would say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it appears we are getting production order. Doesn't explain why they've skipped The Fear Merchants. How very extraordinary, as Steed would say.

Having read a synopsis of the plot there doesn't seem to anything there that would cause the episode to not be shown
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Avengers was THE thing to watch on ITV on a Saturday (or was it Friday?) night when I were a lad. We have the box set of the Diana Rigg and Linda Thorsen eps and they are great entertainment. Good for spotting young actors who would later become household names.
    What surprised me on re-watching the Linda Thorsen series was just how good some of the stories were, better than many of the Rigg years. From my own memories from the time, I would have said the final series was pretty poor.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how the final series was presented in the Uk back in the late 60's because wasnt the franchise changeover either before or during the run?

Seeing ABC had become Thames by then, was it badged as Thames, like some of the Vt stuff or was it treated like an import & had a regional company presentation slide instead.

Going back to the current repeats, didnt 'The Avengers In Colour' bit at the beginning used to have a snippet of theme before, as per the C4 repeats?