Amazon Prime Video – offline viewing period

NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone else had issues with Amazon Prime Video’s offline viewing period?

I downloaded the entire season of a TV programme, 10 episodes, on my tablet for offline viewing. I was going on holiday involving a long haul flight so I thought I’d watch some episodes on the way and some on the way back.

On the flight on the way out I watched a few episodes and before I played each episode I was warned that once I start watching the episode it would only be available for a limited period after that point (48 hours I think). No problem, so I watched a few episodes.
On the flight back home – 14 or 15 days later, I thought I’d watch a few more episodes. However – I was told the offline viewing period had expired for every episode of that season so I couldn’t watch them.

Now I understand having an offline viewing period for the episodes I’ve started to watch or have watched, I was warned of that. But why does every episode of that season appear to have been included in that offline viewing period too – even though I never started to watch them?

Has anyone else experienced this or can explain it to me?

Comments

• jrmich9jrmich9 Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a trial with Prime recently for the very same reason. I think there's two levels of expiry.

The first is the overall time limit they put on you when downloading a show episode to your device - which I believe can range from 14 days to a month from the day you download it.

The second is the 48 hour period you have to watch the show episode from once you start to actually view it.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmich9 wrote: »
    I think there's two levels of expiry.

The first is the overall time limit they put on you when downloading a show episode to your device - which I believe can range from 14 days to a month from the day you download it.

The second is the 48 hour period you have to watch the show episode from once you start to actually view it.

This was my only conclusion too – there must be an overall expiry period, e.g. the episodes will be deleted (un-viewable) 14 days after you download them. But you’re not informed of this, only the 48 hour viewing period once you start to watch it, hence my confusion.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Interesting, because this will be my main inflight entertainment when I go on holiday. I wonder if you can re-link them while on holiday using wifi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, because this will be my main inflight entertainment when I go on holiday. I wonder if you can re-link them while on holiday using wifi?

Please keep in mind I speak of no authority other than my own experience...

Firstly it depends on how long you’re going away for – or more specifically how long after you download episodes will you want to watch them. Going from the comments above it appears content has an automatic expiry of anything from 14 days or longer.
    This would make sense in my recent experience as I downloaded all episodes a few days before I went on my 2 week holiday, and wasn’t able to watch them on the flight home (which would have been about 18 days after I downloaded them).
    If you’re only going away for 7 days it sounds like you’ll be fine (just don’t download them more than a few days before you leave). If you’re going away for 14 days or more you might have the same problem I had on my return journey.

Secondly it depends on where you’re going on holiday – as you’ll probably need to be in the UK to re-download/activate any content available via your UK account. When I tried to watch new episodes on my return journey (about 18 days after I downloaded them) I got a message telling me to re-connect to the internet to make them available again. But as I was in the US whilst on holiday (and have a UK account) I doubt I would have been able to do this even if I had know to – although I can’t confirm for sure.

And finally, make sure you don’t start watching an episode if you don’t plan on finishing it within the next 48 hours. But that’s not really the problem we’re talking about here – we’re talking about the automatic expiry they don’t tell you about.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Yep , I'm in the same boat, off to the US later this month for a 3 week holiday. I've used it in the past on my long haul trips, but as they're usually no more than 3 or 4 days away, I've never had this problem before.

Trying to remember if I had this problem on holiday in the states which was 2 years ago, I don't think I did, but then I was using a fire tablet which was the only way off downloading Prime content at the time, maybe that made a difference?
  • heedlessmunkeyheedlessmunkey Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    If you can connect to wifi abroad it will reset the offline viewing, I did it last month in Spain. Didn't matter about not having a uk IP address
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is not the number of days or how long the viewing period is once you start the episode it is the number of days without connecting to the internet. I have episodes on my phone that I downloaded months ago and haven't watched yet and they played one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can connect to wifi abroad it will reset the offline viewing, I did it last month in Spain. Didn't matter about not having a uk IP address
    zantarous wrote: »
    Yes it is not the number of days or how long the viewing period is once you start the episode it is the number of days without connecting to the internet. I have episodes on my phone that I downloaded months ago and haven't watched yet and they played one.

Interesting, thanks, I wish I had known that whilst in the US this summer. I just assumed that because I couldn’t download anything from a non-UK IP address I also wouldn’t be able to reset the offline viewing period.
  • Placebo_PRSPlacebo_PRS Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I like the way it works with Viaplay it's 30 days and doesn't matter when you start watching episode 1 :)