Dredd (2012)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't be arsed with 3D, will wait for the blu-ray.

Which will no doubt be sacrificed in quality to make room for the 3D version on one disc.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to travel if I want to watch it in 2D as my local Cinema is only showing 3D with no intention of a 2D smaller showing at all. I really want to watch it so I'm going to go see it on Tuesday.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yeah, the posting styles are very similar, plus "they" both go on about the "structure" of the gas grenade scene and about the Lex scene in the same way. Does seem to indicate it's the same person...

Looks like the Mods have noticed ;)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    If people think I'm deluded then so is Digital Spy's reviewer. His review is similar to mine. DS say the plot is threadbare, I've mentioned that.

I think this IMDB review sums up the film - and no, I didn't write it. I'm not the reviewer.

Last review on this link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/reviews?start=10

<snipped for tedium>

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel now - that's the only vaguely negative review out of 3 pages' worth and even that one gave the film 6 stars - hardly panning it.

Face it, the critics love it (100% thumbs up on Rotten Tomatoes), the viewers love it. You're just wrong. Seriously fella, you're just embarrassing yourself now.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the 3D like ? I don't normally bother much these days unless the reports are that the 3D is amazing / really adds something. Prefer to save a few pounds....
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel now - that's the only vaguely negative review out of 3 pages' worth and even that one gave the film 6 stars - hardly panning it.

Face it, the critics love it (100% thumbs up on Rotten Tomatoes), the viewers love it. You're just wrong. Seriously fella, you're just embarrassing yourself now.

Check his status... you won't get a reply ;)
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    What's the 3D like ? I don't normally bother much these days unless the reports are that the 3D is amazing / really adds something. Prefer to save a few pounds....

It's not the same league as Avatar or Prometheus, but it's good - it works very well for the "Slo-Mo" bits and other places.

But... I wouldn't say it's worth the extra ~£3 though. It cost me £13 to see DREDD on Friday night (peaktime ticket plus 3D tax). If there'd been a 2D screening, I'd have gone to that.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really thought there would be more reviews from people but there only seems to be a sprinkle from a few who have seen it this weekend, myself included. It really deserves a bigger audience.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Well as many forums this Scojo (Floopy123/Stone_Jones) deleted his usernames and create new one. But glad he out as his rantings are ruined people to view brilliant film Dredd 3D!
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I haven't been to the cinema since 1987 - I really enjoyed the film / Karl Urban is perfect as Judge Dredd!
    Loved the bike!
    Forum Member
    Dredd 3D is NUMBER ONE at the UK box office! Excellent news!
    Forum Member
    That is Fantastic News! Well deserved - and a British film too....................:)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it last night in 2D and loved it: 4/5. I deducted one half point each for the setting not being futuristic enough and nobody saying "Drokk" (minor quibbles). I really hope the franchise does take off as Karl Urban is completely believable as Joe Dredd and we need to see more of him.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it last night in 2D and loved it: 4/5. I deducted one half point each for the setting not being futuristic enough and nobody saying "Drokk" (minor quibbles). I really hope the franchise does take off as Karl Urban is completely believable as Joe Dredd and we need to see more of him.

I agree with you about the setting (outside the tower anyway) not being futuristic enough. Several of the street scenes were clearly just shot in some American street with cars from the 1990s or earlier. No doubt that was down to the budget. As you say, a minor quibble.

I didn't like the 3D all that much. In some scenes it was very hard on the eyes and in one particular scene it was completely distracting as the back of someone's head suddenly appeared and filled half the screen.

Other than that a good action film that will hopefully lead to a sequel that goes a little more deeper into the Dredd mythos.

I won't hold my breath for Judge Death though... ;)
    Forum Member
    Dredd took over £1,000,000 [$1.650,000] over the weekend - the first 18 rated film to do so since 2010

Karl URBAN is Judge DREDD;)
    Forum Member
    James68 wrote: »
    Dredd took over £1,000,000 [$1.650,000] over the weekend - the first 18 rated film to do so since 2010

Karl URBAN is Judge DREDD;)

Of course, Urban IS Dredd!
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Of course, Urban IS Dredd!

Really cool - you could cut yourself on that chin........................................................................
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    I agree with you about the setting (outside the tower anyway) not being futuristic enough. Several of the street scenes were clearly just shot in some American street with cars from the 1990s or earlier. No doubt that was down to the budget. As you say, a minor quibble.

I didn't like the 3D all that much. In some scenes it was very hard on the eyes and in one particular scene it was completely distracting as the back of someone's head suddenly appeared and filled half the screen.

Other than that a good action film that will hopefully lead to a sequel that goes a little more deeper into the Dredd mythos.

think it was filmed in south africa?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it and loved, and will probably become a very guilty pleasure of mine.

Had to see it in 3d, I make a point of NEVER seeing anything in 3d and on top of this had to pay for specs so was pretty pissed off going in.

However , the film changed all that. 3D actually worked pretty well, the slo-mo scenes were awesome. After growing up in the 80s felt good actually watching an 18 again too.

The story is very basic, and actually I find it hard to articulate a film that has LESS backstory than total recall or even the expendables 2 can be so much more enjoyable, but it really is.

I'm not sure how well someone who has NO experience of Dredd would find it though.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it as did OH who use to read the comics when he was younger - his only complaints were it wasn't long enough and the bike wasn't right
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no real knowledge of Dredd but I really enjoyed this. Very violent and I'm glad they had the girl in it without her helmet as someone to identify with, cliched as I sound. A simple plot but very well made and one of the few films I have really felt the 3D added to it and made sense having.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    ... a good action film that will hopefully lead to a sequel that goes a little more deeper into the Dredd mythos.

I youtubed an interview with the star+writer+director, and they've got a pretty good idea as to the stories for No2+No3. All depends on the America takings being +$50mill.

If it does then methinks you'll get your "more mythos" in No2. As for Judge Death.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Having been a fan of 2000AD since prog 1, I was really looking forward to a Dredd movie that is true to the comic book character.

I saw the film yesterday afternoon and I have to say that Karl Urban played the character flawlessly. Urban is Dredd.

It makes the pantomime disaster that the Stallone movie was a distant memory.

Here's hoping that this movie gives birth to a franchise of more Dredd films.
  • chuffsterchuffster Posts: 8,808
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Well as many forums this Scojo (Floopy123/Stone_Jones) deleted his usernames and create new one. But glad he out as his rantings are ruined people to view brilliant film Dredd 3D!

Goaty my good man!Glad you're keeping up the good work on here too!:D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from watching this film.

What is quite remarkable about this film is how good it is without actually having much of a story to speak of.
    In fact that the story is paper thin. Very weak indeed. But somehow I thought it was still very good. I don't know how, but that's just what I found.

What is good about it I think outweighs its weaknesses.
    I do think that initial Rotten Tomatoes rating will gradually erode though.

It's a shame about the weak story, but what is good about this film makes up for its shortcomings.
    Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson is great. For me she added so much to this. I think she was the glue that held this together. Karl Urban as Dredd? Perfect. It's Dredd as I imagine him from the comics.
    Lena Heady as Ma-Ma. Pretty good, but not in it enough, A perfectly functional performance.

It looks great. The tone is perfect, the violence is sickeningly brutal but I don't think it glamourises violence.
    Dredd never removes his helmet. The 3D is not intrusive and when it works it really works well. Much of the time I wasn't really thinking of the 3D, it didn't get in the way or jar me in any way at all.

Apart from the weak story which I previously mentioned there is one other criticism, and I suppose it's quite a big one. The one thing I found missing was the satire, the ambiguity. Dredd comes across too much like a hero in this for me. He's not supposed to be the good guy. They dropped the ball there I thought. It really should have delivered more in the way of satire.

But it was good enough for me to look forward to a franchise. I think it established itself enough to deserve that. Sequels which I predict will improve on this first film which was a solid introduction despite its shortcomings.