Are all Freeview TV's Freeview HD

13»

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    But it's been bought from the Business section of Ebuyer, and is not being advertised as a domestic television (or even a television at all).
    I doubt the customer would have a leg to stand on, unless someone from the company had misrepresented it on the phone, or in writing.
    Actually if you look at the web page it is being sold as a TV. Look at the strip above the details of the unit. It reads

Visual - Televisions - 40" TVs

And if you click on 40" TVs you get this page.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Visual/cat/Televisions/subcat/40%22-TVs

I don't know about anybody else but if you see a page headed 40" TVs in large type wouldn't you naturally assume that you were looking at a list of televisions with 40 inch screens?

And every other item on that page is a domestic TV.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    Doesn't matter where they bought it, if it says HD TV on the carton shown in the advert, unless it also said or the purchaser was specifically told, that it wouldn't receive HD TV in this country.

If it didn't specifically say 'Freeview HD' then it's making no claims to receive it - that was exactly why the 'Freeview HD' logo was released.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    But it's been bought from the Business section of Ebuyer, and is not being advertised as a domestic television (or even a television at all).

It appears in the general section of ebuyer and in the Business section (priced without VAT) - click on visit our Business Section or Leave Business site depending which one appears

http://www.ebuyer.com/505670-40-smhd40b-full-hd-led-with-built-in-hdtv-tuner-lh40hdbplgd-en
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    OP Just out of curiosity did you purchase this TV prior to starting this thread?
  • Options
    barkingboybarkingboy Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    OP Just out of curiosity did you purchase this TV prior to starting this thread?

I hope so, otherwise they ignored the first piece of advice given in post #2!

I'm sure that eBuyer will be accommodating in exchanging for another set.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to update a Sony TV with just Freeview to a HD Freeview TV?
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »

Just add a Freeview HD set top box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »

No, it's not possible to update any set in that way - as gds1972 says, just buy a Freeview HD box (or preferably a Freeview HD PVR) and do it that way.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    It has a tuner. There is no such thing as an HD tuner. It is all down to the decoder as I explained in post 34.

PEDANTICS as usual, why do you insist on muddying the waters :eek: :eek: ?

Your posting while accurate does nothing to explain to the OP what the issue is :(

Most of us mere mortals treat the tuner and it's essential extra bits as one item (and why not, they cannot be seperated ?).

Nor are they separated in the specification published by the makers of HD kit.

Are you trying to score some weird points here, trust me it's not working :confused:

You have achieved nothing, apart from possibly a personal attack that adds precisely nothing to help the OP understand the issues involved.

Shall I post some links to some of your recent posts that reveal some of your posts that are show despite your so called knowledge you do not have a clue about what you are talking about.

I note you never acknowledge your demonstrably in error postings, the most recent refers to the capability of Freesat+ pvrs working on a single cable. What you posted was impossible was 100% possible.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    barkingboy wrote: »
    I hope so, otherwise they ignored the first piece of advice given in post #2!

I'm sure that eBuyer will be accommodating in exchanging for another set.

No I read the advice then bought the TV as it was one of the few TVss that said it has an HD tuner without the need for a seperate decoder box. As I said I am pretty clued up on this stuff, I knew for some time that some "HDTV" TVs don't tune into the HD channels so that's why I specifically looked for one that had an HD Tuner. I didn't go to the Ebuyer website, I typed in Freeview HDTV into google and this came up somewhere in the list. I then had a look at what else they offered, noted that there were some other similar offers that didn't specify having an HDTV tuner and so automatically assumed that this one would. At the end of the day the TV is a really nice TV at a very good price and even though Ebuyer had absolutely no problem taking it back I've decided to keep it and I'll get into HDTV broadcasts once there's a better offering and at this time this'll go to the bedroom.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    No I read the advice then bought the TV as it was one of the few TVss that said it has an HD tuner without the need for a seperate decoder box. As I said I am pretty clued up on this stuff, I knew for some time that some "HDTV" TVs don't tune into the HD channels so that's why I specifically looked for one that had an HD Tuner. I didn't go to the Ebuyer website, I typed in Freeview HDTV into google and this came up somewhere in the list. I then had a look at what else they offered, noted that there were some other similar offers that didn't specify having an HDTV tuner and so automatically assumed that this one would. At the end of the day the TV is a really nice TV at a very good price and even though Ebuyer had absolutely no problem taking it back I've decided to keep it and I'll get into HDTV broadcasts once there's a better offering and at this time this'll go to the bedroom.

Not sure what better offering you are hoping for?
    BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and CH4 are all in HD.....provided you have a 'Freeview HD' tuner in your set-up. :)

As as has been extensively explained on this thread 'HDTV' is not a term with a specific definition in the UK.
    I remember buying a USB TV dongle for my computer a few years ago, that described itself as 'HDTV', but it only had a DVB-T tuner in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    No I read the advice then bought the TV as it was one of the few TVss that said it has an HD tuner without the need for a seperate decoder box. As I said I am pretty clued up on this stuff, I knew for some time that some "HDTV" TVs don't tune into the HD channels so that's why I specifically looked for one that had an HD Tuner.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound 'clued up' at all :(

The important thing is that it states 'Freeview HD', nothing else will receive the Freeview HD channels in the UK.

Probably most current TV's have Freeview HD built-in?, and those that don't will mostly be small ones (where it doesn't give much benefit).

Looking for HD Tuner was entirely pointless in the UK, as it has no meaning, which is why you didn't find many.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a small Samsung which says on a big sticker HD-TV tuner. This is 100% accurate, I never expected it to work with Freeview-HD, a cheap £20.00 ish Freeview-HD box sorted that out.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it always surprises me that a full HD TV would only have an SD tuner - but it is definitely something you need to be aware of.

blu ray picture is better than freeview HD though, in my opinion
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but that doesn't sound 'clued up' at all :(

Looking for HD Tuner was entirely pointless in the UK, as it has no meaning, which is why you didn't find many.

No I used to be really clued up on DTT, I was there on top of everything through the ONDigital, ITV Digital days through to Freeview, Top up TV, so I know a lot of TV's advertised freeview and others advertised DTT tuners.

The last TV I bought was HDTV and I learned from that because it didn't tune HDTV channels and I was told it needs and HDTV Tuner so that's what I looked for.

You didn't just wake up knowing about the broadcasting techniques of UK broadcasters you had to be told it. Like the rest of the country but no one is pushing this information, not even on the Freeview HD website and definitely not on the pages of individual TV's for sale. It's one thing to advertise it as a TV that gets Freeview HD, but if people buy an HDTV with Freeview I don't think they are wrong to assume that they will get Freeview HD, and after discovering that they don't, they are told that their TV needs a set top box (sometimes called a decoder) to receive it, so when you see a TV with built in HDTV tuner and the words "no need for a decoder box" to receive HDTV broadcasts, they are going to be totally surprised that it doesn't receive Freeview HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO this description from ebuyer is very confusing

Tuner / features
    DVB-T Tuner – Freeview HD
    Standard PAL
    Div X HD playback

So has it or has it not got a DVB -T2 tuner?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/495009-lg-42-ln540v-led-tv-42ln540v

Like the TV the OP purchased from ebuyer it appears in both the domestic and business sections

The description at Currys is the same
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-42ln540v-42-led-tv-21295595-pdt.html#longDesc
    which says DVB-T Tuner Freeview HD
    :confused:

wikipedia:
    Freeview HD is the first operational TV service in the world using the DVB-T2 standard. This standard is incompatible with DVB-T, and can only be received using compatible reception equipment. Some television receivers sold before the HD launch claimed to be "HD-ready", but this usually implies that the screen can display HD, rather than that DVB-T2 signals can be received
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

Tuner / features
    Standard PAL
    Div X HD playback

Like the TV the OP purchased from ebuyer it appears in both the domestic and business sections

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-42ln540v-42-led-tv-21295595-pdt.html#longDesc

wikipedia:
    Freeview HD is the first operational TV service in the world using the DVB-T2 standard. This standard is incompatible with DVB-T, and can only be received using compatible reception equipment. Some television receivers sold before the HD launch claimed to be "HD-ready", but this usually implies that the screen can display HD, rather than that DVB-T2 signals can be received
    It is Freeview HD

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LN540V

Though you have to download the manual to find any mention of DVB-T2 in the specs.

There is also a similar model range, LN5400, which does not do Freeview HD. And just to muddy the waters even more there are three 32in LN540 models, one with HD and two without. The difference is the letter after the 0.

Just do a search on LN540 on the LG website and you'll see what I mean! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some television receivers sold before the HD launch claimed to be "HD-ready", but this usually implies that the screen can display HD, rather than that DVB-T2 signals can be received

It doesn't 'usually' imply that, it ALWAYS states that - HD Ready long pre-dates Freeview HD, and there was never any plans for Freeview HD, it was bodged on at the very last minute, even after all the plans were in place for DSO.

HD Ready just means the set will display external HD signals in HD, and meets various specific minimum requirements.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tuner / features
    Standard PAL
    Div X HD playback

wikipedia:

Those are definitely confusing, as you say.
    However both do specifically say 'Freeview HD', so you would be able to claim misrepresentation if it turned out it didn't have a DVB-T2 tuner.

However, I think it's just that the retailers are sloppy in their description, because if you google that TV it definitely does have Freeview HD.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42ln540v/lg-42ln540v

(ETA: I see I was too slow with me googling :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder the average, less well informed/less technical person buying a TV is confused and I still stand by what I said in an earlier post:

"Even if they do (receive Freeview HD) it doesn't mean that people will watch a programme in a HD version if available.
    I know some people, and I'm sure that they're not the exception, who still watch BBC1/BBC2/ITV/C4 on channels 1/2/3/4 simply because they can't be bothered to select 101/102/103/104.

On the other hand some think that because they have a new TV, either with or without Freeview HD, that everything they watch is in HD"