Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    Quick question, I sort of fell out of Glee towards the end of the last series. Would you guys say that series 4 is worth watching?

A lot of people I know haven't spoken very well of the recent stuff, and the end of the last season was a bit dull which is why I fell out of watching the show. Thanks!

I suppose it depends what you watch the show for and whether it's the concept of the show that you prefer or the original cast.

Personally, I think this is my least favourite season. There have been some very good episodes like 'The Break Up' and moments of greatness but not enough imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, how much am I loving "H,OH" from the Christmas album and this weeks episode!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m7q3-EGtAE
    I am becoming quite taken with Jake's voice.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    Quick question, I sort of fell out of Glee towards the end of the last series. Would you guys say that series 4 is worth watching?

A lot of people I know haven't spoken very well of the recent stuff, and the end of the last season was a bit dull which is why I fell out of watching the show. Thanks!

Not really, and this is coming from someone who liked quite a lot of season 3!

The only bits I've really enjoyed this season have involved the graduates - The Break Up was a good episode, the Thanksgiving episode was ok (in parts) and the other bits and pieces that have featured Puck, Santana, Mike and Mercedes are watchable, but the music just isn't of the same standard. If I counted the number of songs from this season that I would listen to again I think it's still only about 6 and we're 10 episodes in - and more than half of those have come from the last 2 episodes! (though do listen to Mine, Don't Speak and The Scientist from The Break-Up, plus the Supremes song the Unholy Trinity did in the Thanksgiving episode and the opening number from that one, and then Lea Michele's O Holy Night and Chris Colfer's Being Alive from the last episode)

The plots are getting increasingly ridiculous (Finn temporarily taking Mr Schu's job?!) and the amount of plot threads left unfinished or resolved in a very lazy way is similarly increasing. I don't think any of the issues the show is dealing with are getting the right amount of attention.

The new kids just aren't as charismatic or as talented as the old bunch, sadly. Sue is no longer funny, and Brittany isn't as funny without Santana's one-liners. McKinley is now basically the Blaine Anderson show, which doesn't excite me at all.

The New York scenes are usually good, but Lea Michele and Chris Colfer are wasted with how little material they now have to work with. And the likes of Naya Rivera, Amber Riley and Mark Salling basically get nothing of substance at all.

I rarely watch an episode in its entireity anymore, and I constantly look forward to more scenes with the graduates, in the slightly optimistic hope that it'll improve sometime soon...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's all subjective and agree with the person who said you should watch and judge for yourself - I find everything to do with the graduates crap. New York is ridiculous, Rachel and Kurt have had everything handed to them. Finn is redundant, though I admit I'm enjoying him as Mr Shue more than I would enjoy having the real Mr Shue as Will is a terrible character now. I think the only moments where the graduates have fitted are Santana on Skype to Brittany, Santana returning to break up with Britt and Jake phoning Puck for advice. These were all realistic situations, but everything else is just an excuse to bring back the old characters but they don't get used properly/at all so what's the point? I'd rather see another conversation between the New Class of McKinley then see a 10 second shot of Mike dance training them.

On the flip side, while I know it's not perfect and it's a lot of repetition of the previous series' of Glee (love triangles/squares etc), I'm liking the New Class. I wish Artie and Tina were in it a little more, and Blaine a little less, but I like Sam and Blaine's friendship. I like that Ryder and Jake are 'bros' and have an uneasy truce about Marley going on, instead of repetitive arguments about her. I think the new lot are all fairly good actors and singers. Kitty is so bitchy that it's almost refreshing! (though I have no idea how she can be redeemed.) Sue isn't good now, and I can't take to Wade/Unique as I feel almost as if Ryan Murphy only hired him/her (I'm not sure how they identify in real life so I apologise if that's offensive) to be the 'token' gender "confused" person (I am AWFUL at explaining myself here, I'm really so sorry! haha hopefully someone knows what I'm trying to say!) Also I wish they'd ditch the Warblers!

Anyway that turned into a total ramble. My point was meant to be, almost everything I've read on here I've disagreed with because I'm really not enjoying the graduates at all and I'm quite liking the new group. However Glee is escapism TV and that's why I'm still watching!
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revans33 wrote: »

It's not really that strange, they're clearly going for "it's a Wonderful Life" thingy. Alternate reality.

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he? "
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG TERRI!!! I loved her!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really that strange, they're clearly going for "it's a Wonderful Life" thingy. Alternate reality.

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he? "

Every series does 'It's a Wonderful Life' Eventually:D

I think it is a legal requirement :D

My favourite 'It's a Wonderful Life' was 'Married with Children'
    Everyone was better off when Al had never existed - so he had his 'Zuzu's Petals' moment so they'd be miserable again :D
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I've never seen it's a wonderful life haha
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life"??!!!

OMG

Sacrilege.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Watch it, it's one of the greatest films ever.

Have some tissues handy.

Not for that, dirty boy.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that even legal:eek::D

One year I was in Florida on Christmas Eve and at one point in the evening, every single channel was showing 'It's a Wonderful Life':D
  • xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me either, Im not on my own anymore. :D

Every year I say I'll get it and watch it and every year I forget. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    lol I know I'll probably get killed for this comment, but I've never really liked Glee at all.. haven't been able to get myself to watch it either.

Though I do like the covers of Glee's Journey cover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah...okay...anyway ignoring the above...

Everyone excited for this years Xmas episode? Glee's two previous attempts have been notoriously divisive and not the best of episodes but it looks like this year is being taken somewhat more seriously although I am sure it will catch some flack for having Kevin McHale not be Artie + wheelchair...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the New York and It's a Wonderful Life scenes.

The concept of the Artie's 'what if' sub-plot reminds me a little of last year's black and white special, with both being homages to classic Christmas films/shows, which kind of exist outside the normal narrative/continuity of the show.

That said, I think it may be the weakest Christmas episode in terms of music.
  • xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive always liked Kurt and Burts relationship so Im looking forward to seeing that again and everything really I suppose. I know the last two havent really been great but I always kind of enjoy Christmas specials just because they make me feel really Christmassy. :o

I agree with the comment about the music though, especially
    Jingle Bell Rock, it always reminds of Mean Girls. The fact that Sam is singing it is putting some strange images in my head right now. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Watch it, it's one of the greatest films ever.

Have some tissues handy.

Not for that, dirty boy.

wanky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ninostar wrote: »
    wanky

Ha!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which episode are they currently filming?
    Just seen some pictures of Lea, Naya and Dianna on set together in New York, which makes me very excited :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which episode are they currently filming?
    Just seen some pictures of Lea, Naya and Dianna on set together in New York, which makes me very excited :D

That is for "Naked" which is the second episode when we come back from the Christmas break. They are going to be singing...
    Love Song by Sara Bareilles
    together apparently...

Rumour has it that Lea is singing
    "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia
    in that episode which could be VERY awesome...

Santana fans (and I know there are a lot of you) may be interested to know that the third episode after Xmas is called "Diva" and is said to
    contain 3 songs featuring Naya in some capacity...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 4x10: "Glee Actually"
    • A nice enough little episode (maybe a little boring) and certainly better than their previous Christmas efforts
    • I've never seen Love Actually but it seemed like the Glee stories barely intertwined with each other. "They all met at Breadstix"...
    • They are clearly going out of their way to explain every possible thing (how Sue got the money etc.)
    • Little bit awkward that Kurt could barely look Blaine in the eye at the end :(
    • I usually enjoy "what if" episodes of TV shows but the character switching last season was better than the "what if Artie wasn't in a wheelchair"...I mean "the glue that held the Glee club together"...really?...really?! Nice to see some real Artie acting/motivation
    • They killed off Quinn (in his fantasy)?! What on earth...
    • Geez, giving Burt prostate cancer was like...what?!...I guess it is good that he is okay but I wonder if it will have repercussions eventually?
    • Performances were a little lack luster really...
    • Seemed to end very suddenly and seemed very inconsequential...I guess most Christmas episodes have to be but it was nice to see Sue not just give them back the choir room...just yet

...I guess that is it until the new year! Glee is back on 24th January 2013 with "Sadie Hawkins":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_vA1Ddrf_es
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice Christmas episode.

Artie and his little dream didn't fit in with the entire episode I feel, and it felt really out of place.

Really liked Burt going to stay with Kurt for Christmas, and felt that the scenes with them in were the best from the episode. Sucks that Burt had to deliver some bad news, but at least they had a nice Christmas together.

I felt really awkward watching the Blaine and Kurt scenes throughout this episode. Lol. :D

Loved finally seeing nice Sue again, and I'm really starting to like Marley and her mother.

Kurt's face when Blaine said he was going to apply for NYADA -> :confused::eek::mad::cry:
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It was a decent Christmas episode but we've had better ones.

Couldn't we have had Santana, Mike, Quinn and Mercedes in the present day for this one?

Liked Artie's dream sequence and even Rory wasn't annoying in it.

Sue's act of kindness with Marley and her mother was okay but it seemed almost tacked on to a degree.

Jake and Puck's scenes were enjoyable, especially with their mothers comparing war stories about their father.

Rachel didn't do a whole in this episode.

Sam and Brittany's plot was pointless and dumb.

Don't kill off Burt, show. He's the best parental figure on the show.

Nice to see Terri in this one as well.

Kurt and Blaine's scenes were nice and only their version of White Christmas stood out musically, 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For an episode that was supposed to be based on Love Actually it managed to not do that at all really until the last scene. The whole point of that movie was that all the characters interacted with each other even if it just being in the same shop at the same time, at the same party or nativity play. Instead all we got was Puck & Jake and Brittany & Sam in Breadstix at the same time then the latter two basically interrupting a duet the Puckerman boys were singing to their mothers. Didn't work for me.

I did like the Puck and Jake storyline, was nice to see some interaction between them, and it was nice to have some closure to their father problems storylines. Puck was never going to succeed in LA so no surprise he's coming back to Lima. Funny how during the summer it seemed like Mark was going to be just as absent as Dianna this season and yet he's actually the graduate who's been back in Lima the most!

I also liked Sue's Christmas generosity to Marley and her mother, that was a much better continuation of Marley's eating disorder storyline than the mess that was last week. It just seems very reminiscent of the time Sue trashed the Glee club Christmas tree then had a change of heart and brought Christmas to Will's house though - clearly the Glee writers are running out of original Christmas story ideas. Marley impressed me much more this week, thought she was the strongest singer in this episode (although undoubtedly helped by the fact Lea Michele didn't get a song)

Glad Coach Beiste managed to stop Sam & Brittany from actually getting married, the whole Mayan apocalypse storyline was just ridiculous. And no way would Brittany ever have enough money to buy all those presents, that was stupid. Heather's sounding a much better singer than she used to be though.

The rest I really didn't like - yes, it was nice to see Burt and Kurt reunited, but do they really need another health problem storyline?! And Burt flying Blaine out was just a bit weird given presumably he knows Blaine and Kurt have broken up. All those scenes were just so awkward, they didn't even sound good singing together, and I really hope Blaine doesn't apply to NYADA. I did like the scene with Burt, Kurt, Rachel and the tree decorations though.

Artie's dream sequence seemed a bit pointless, and I didn't like the fact that they killed off Quinn 'of a broken heart' without even mentioning who it was! Rory coming back was pointless and the Feliz Navidad song was embarassing, I ended up fast-forwarding it. Finn was less annoying than previously but still doesn't seem like he's really needed at McKinley.

The end song was nice, nothing more, and it was strange that not even all of the Glee club could be reuinted to sing together, it didn't quite feel right. And Kitty, Joe and Sugar all seem to have been almost entirely forgotten about by the writers.

A fairly harmless episode overall, nowhere near classic Glee and I actually preferred last year's Christmas episode. Once again I really missed the absent graduates, the show seems to be going over old ground quite a lot now and it's making it so clear how good it used to be with the original cast.
This discussion has been closed.