Why is it the mark of a "good actor" is the ability to weep & wail??

2»

Comments

• xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,217
    Forum Member
    The best drunk acting in soap ever is Steve aka Phil Mitchell, he just plays the part so well.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,178
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »
    The best drunk acting in soap ever is Steve aka Phil Mitchell, he just plays the part so well.

I disagree. He is very, very good but I think Chris Gascoyne and Ted Shackleford are just a bit better.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »

Tanya Franks is better IMO.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Tanya Franks is better IMO.:)

Tanya Franks portrays an addict flawlessly. You can just see the desperation in her eyes, and how much she relies on something like drugs to keep her going. Her body language is also really telling, the way her hands shake and how she speaks in a raspy tone. The episode where she told Denise about Ian and was walking around the Square begging for cash on the street effectively proves this, in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I disagree. He is very, very good but I think Chris Gascoyne and Ted Shackleford are just a bit better.

Lane Davies was pretty convincing as Mason Capwell too.
    Forum Member
    Vatican wrote: »
    Tanya Franks portrays an addict flawlessly. You can just see the desperation in her eyes, and how much she relies on something like drugs to keep her going. Her body language is also really telling, the way her hands shake and how she speaks in a raspy tone. The episode where she told Denise about Ian and was walking around the Square begging for cash on the street effectively proves this, in my opinion.

I agree.

It is also worth noting that 'drunk' acting is not the same thing as portraying an addict. Yes for some people alcohol is addictive but not for everyone so some actors will need to portray their character being drunk (as most adults will experience at some stage of their lives unless their religion bars them from ever trying it) without it being a problem. Portraying an addict is very different, there is desperation involved in that that isn't always involved with general drunk acting.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Bit mystified as to why "weeping & wailing" seems to often be the criteria by which good acting is judged?

I'm thinking of 2 good examples from recent months in EE Adam Woodyatt cried a river after Lucy's death & got tonnes of praise for "good acting".Similar is now happening with Kellie Bright for doing much the same.

I'm not belittling either of these actors- I think they're both great, but why is the particular emotion of appearing miserable so often used as a marker of good acting?

And how do you define "good acting" anyway??

It isn't. But good actors can.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,690
    Forum Member
    I think Kate Ritchie (Sally, H&A) is the most convincing cryer. She only needs to well up and I'm off with her!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Kellie bright got some praise just from a look during the rape scenes. She just had a stare on her face and it made the entire scene incredibly uncomfortable, there was no tears.

As for best criers in soap id go for Debbie Dingle, Darren Osbourne and Sinead O'Conner
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I'm not all that sure if being good at crying necessarily makes a good actor, Shane Richie can cry for England and so can Adam Woodyatt but while Adam is a good actor, Shane basically plays a more exaggerated version of himself but imo is really good at drama especially the crying scenes.

:cry::cry:
  • writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP it is the sign of a good actor in the sense that they have used method acting, accessed emotional memory from a previous life experience and then applied that emotional memory to the given circumstances or situation of a character, to then cry.

But being an actor isn't just about crying, a highlight or end goal - it's more rounded than that. Lots more colour and shades. Being able to cry through character is a cherry on top. And trust me it's the most amazing experience when you actually do it!
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    However some characters, like some people, aren't cryers. Not everyone bawls and sniffles. Being able to cry effectively is a skill though and also shows thst the actor is willing to make themselves vulnerable and not caring how they look, as crying is rarely a perfect clean tear.