Options

Planning a staff party then make sure you do it the Brighton NHS way

Comments

• Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To clinical staff, anyone telling them how to organise a Christmas do is classed as a 'manager' whether that is their official title or not I'm afraid. I can assure you it will have been taken that way.

I can assure you that most clinicians where I work would not give a monkeys about such nonsense and I doubt if they would have even read it in the first place. It is one trust and not representive of all trusts.
    To add in 30+ years in the NHS, i have never seen any directive like that and would never consider equal OP's as my manager
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can assure you that most clinicians where I work would not give a monkeys about such nonsense and I doubt if they would have even read it in the first place. It is one trust and not representive of all trusts.

That may be the case, but it is an endemic culture . People do give a monkeys , they want to be helped to do their jobs, not helped to organise a party.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That may be the case, but it is an endemic culture . People do give a monkeys , they want to be helped to do their jobs, not helped to organise a party.

The only thing that is advised where I work is being careful what you post on Facebook I.e no patient details or details of disagreements with colleagues or agreeing with racist sites etc.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    In 15 years in Civil Service we only had one office party unfortunately it ended up with the files being thrown around and beer being poured over the computers, after this the parties were never in the office again and moved to the pub after that.

Being frontline staff it's impossible to have parties in the workplace for it is a clinical area. All do' s are organised by ourselves at commercial venues such as pubs/clubs. Nothing to do with work. We like to party!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    http://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/work-and-learn/equality-diversity-and-human-rights/resources/equality-bulletin/?assetdet8418378=510435

With all the health & safety and equality you have to go through it might be better to plan next year's as you won't have time to plan it for this year.;-)

(I know the link is December 2013 but it has been used again this year as a guide for staff).

Who'd volunteer to organise the team Christmas meal if they had to consider all that crap ?

When I organised ours, the only sticking point was something I didn't notice on the download - viz: "do they do vegetarian" and "I can't eat goat's cheese, ask them to remove it from the plate". Also "If it's upstairs, I can't do it because of my bad knees" - and then finding a date when a popular local restaurant has a table on the ground floor available.

The advice leaflet doesn't tell you how to deal with "If she's going, we're not" - when talking about a member of the team currently on secondment to another office, and considered a troublemaker. :o

It's all very well issuing these things, but they only look at it from the organiser's viewpoint, not the rest of the attendees, who couldn't give a toss about political correctness.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    seems sensible to me.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    seems sensible to me.

Hmm. Sensible if you're absolutely frightened to death that you might be liable for an accident or somebody complaining they were discriminated against and subsequently sued I suppose.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the NHS is as short of money as it says why is someone being paid to do this? Equally if this has to be done why not do it centrally for all NHS units everywhere?
    I would say that the answer is clearly there on that sheet "Remember that the Trust is likely to have the same legal responsibility for what happens during the event as it does during working hours."

This sheet is to cover the Trust's arse as they are probably legally responsible for anything that goes wrong or any complaints received.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Hmm. Sensible if you're absolutely frightened to death that you might be liable for an accident or somebody complaining they were discriminated against and subsequently sued I suppose.

or if you aren`t accustomed to arranging parties in a work environment.sorry, no it`s just a check list of points to remember, i don`t see the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    or if you aren`t accustomed to arranging parties in a work environment.sorry, no it`s just a check list of points to remember, i don`t see the problem.

The "check list" is riddled with warnings about discrimination. It's obvious as to the intent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The "check list" is riddled with warnings about discrimination. It's obvious as to the intent.

what`s the problem with that exactly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Who'd volunteer to organise the team Christmas meal if they had to consider all that crap ?

When I organised ours, the only sticking point was something I didn't notice on the download - viz: "do they do vegetarian" and "I can't eat goat's cheese, ask them to remove it from the plate". Also "If it's upstairs, I can't do it because of my bad knees" - and then finding a date when a popular local restaurant has a table on the ground floor available.

The advice leaflet doesn't tell you how to deal with "If she's going, we're not" - when talking about a member of the team currently on secondment to another office, and considered a troublemaker. :o

It's all very well issuing these things, but they only look at it from the organiser's viewpoint, not the rest of the attendees, who couldn't give a toss about political correctness.

I really think you exaggerate. The guidelines can be summed up as "try to ensure that everyone feels welcome". Nothing more than that. Nothing is easier than to organise a works do that excludes certain people, and it is pleasant if that can be avoided, eg by trying to arrange a time and venue accessible to the greatest number of staff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what`s the problem with that exactly?

Because that publication is blatantly to minimise the risk of somebody suing the NHS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because that publication is blatantly to minimise the risk of somebody suing the NHS.

and that`s a problem is it? in what way would it be a better idea not to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and that`s a problem is it?

Not to me no, I'm just pointing it out.

Edit: It's a problem in so much as the compensation culture which drives it is rather irritating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to me no, I'm just pointing it out.

Edit: It's a problem in so much as the compensation culture which drives it is rather irritating.
    I agree, it is sad that this has to even cross peoples' minds these days, but it is a fact, we do live in litigious times unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I agree, it is sad that this has to even cross peoples' minds these days, but it is a fact, we do live in litigious times unfortunately.

Indeed. Litigation against injury at work for example is why Health and Safety has become a massive industry in its own right, to mitigate against it.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Litigation against injury at work for example is why Health and Safety has become a massive industry in its own right, to mitigate against it.

But if a group of you were in a local restaurant, and outside office hours, would there be any right of litigation against the workplace, if anything untoward happened ?
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member

I have organised several Christmas do's over the years and have never had to consider such things. It's mainly a case of who is going and who is not. Who is a veggie? Who is picking up who etc., What are you wearing? The usual stuff.

As our team covers 24/7 we usually have two do's.

The advice is the kind of thing we see on the work's intranet. Majority of people take no notice and simply use their common sense and understanding of their colleagues in organising Christmas meals.

Btw our Christmas do last Friday was great fun. Some very un PC behaviour going on. The second do is Saturday evening...I am sure they will have fun too.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But if a group of you were in a local restaurant, and outside office hours, would there be any right of litigation against the workplace, if anything untoward happened ?

This NHS trust seems to think so.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its about being considerate to everyone not just middle aged white men. What is bleeding obvious to some isn't to others so a check list is a good idea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who knows, the NHS seem to think that it's at least a dim possibility, so are covering all eventualities now rather than paying for any possible problems later :D It's almost like a contract ... well we did warn you ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Its about being considerate to everyone not just middle aged white men. What is bleeding obvious to some isn't to others so a check list is a good idea

that`s my stance too.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I felt it could be a cause for me getting sued for some sort of discrimination then it will be all or nothing, everything will have to be agreed and signed off by each member of the team and if one person won't sign then parties off unless someone else fancies carrying the can should a letter from someones lawyers arrives in the new years post.
  • Options
    Forum Member

People have been managing to organise successful works' Christmas parties for decades, they're nothing new, and a "check list" isn't required.

I don't understand how people can't see that this rather amusing publication with multiple warnings about all kinds of potential discrimination or injury is nothing more than the NHS trying to cover its arse in case somebody thinks they've been hard done by and thus launch a claim for some money,