The Civil Wars - wow!

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    The album is currently #7 on iTunes. Really pleased with that.

PS A really awestruck looking Civil Wars singing with one of country's all time greats, Emylou Harris :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3k7J-WBU4M
    Forum Member
    Just a heads up if anyone lives/works in London (or knows someone who does) they are doing a free, hastily arranged (apparently) in store gig at Rough Trade East Store tomorrow (Thursday) at 7pm. This is the wording on the Rough Trade site:
    Rough Trade East In-store - THE CIVIL WARS - Thursday 8th March, 7pm 08/03/2012
    DUE TO UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO MAKE THIS A WRISTBAND EVENT. GIVEN THE LATE NOTICE, 150 WRISTBANDS WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AT 8AM THURSDAY MORNING WHEN YOU PURCHASE THE ALBUM; THE REMAINING 150 WRISTBANDS WILL BE GIVEN OUT ON A FIRST-COME-FIRST-SERVED BASIS (NO PURCHASE NECESSARY) FROM 6PM.

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/instore.lasso

PS The album has rocketed up the Amazon best sellers list since the Breakfast interview - up from 37 to 5! :eek:

PPS Still some tickets left for their Brum gig on the 13th as well (the other shows are long since sold out).

http://thecivilwars.com/tour.php
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just come back from town clutching my CD, this will be playing all night, can't wait, Koneybyvax you are responsible lol, this couple really get to me, absolutely perfect harmonising. Would love to see them live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine anyone liking Civil Wars will like this, the first album by: Marthas and Arthurs.

The new single streams at the top left................lovely stuff

http://marthasandarthurs.bandcamp.com/track/vine-leaves-in-her-hair
    Forum Member
    Will check them out, harveybest, thanks!

The Civil Wars on BBCBreakfast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MWf6Q4cABI

Amazing cover of The Smashing Pumpkins' fantastic Disarm :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsK0mx_NoFw
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the links.

They sounded great singing Billie Jean on the sofa. Pure talent, right there.
    Forum Member
    The album got a 5/5 review from our very own Digital Spy :D
    .....It is their ability to write sophisticated and personal music that could also soundtrack the likes of a Twilight movie that is The Civil Wars' main appeal; and the combination makes for a truly stunning debut.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/albumreviews/a369634/the-civil-wars-barton-hollow-album-review.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this album on repeat since yesterday, and I love every track, still think Poison & Wine is my favourite. No duff tracks at all which is unusual. They seem such a lovely couple as well (I know they are not married to each other lol), but they are quite funny to listen too and seem so genuine. I really hope they do well, want to hear a lot more from these two.
    Forum Member
    So glad you like it, soulmusic. They are on their way, no doubt. They are this week's Billboard Magazine cover stars!

http://www.billboard.com/features/the-civil-wars-billboard-cover-story-1006419952.story#/features/the-civil-wars-billboard-cover-story-1006419952.story?page=2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Taylor Swifts glowing stamp of approval guess they could be set up for many years to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So happy for them koney, I am also loving To Whom It Concerns on the album (almost as much as Poison & Wine), and that instrumental Violet Hour is just lovely.
    That was a great Smashing Pumpkins cover you posted, really enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    With Taylor Swifts glowing stamp of approval guess the could be set up for many years to come.

Hehe....let's not forget Adele's blog about them that also features in many interviews with them. Great to have 2 industry superstars stanning for them.
    ..anyway, i have the complete honour of having a band called The Civil Wars on the tour at the moment. they are by far the BEST live band i have EVER seen. they are magical and stunning, they make my heart hurt but make it a bit stronger at the same time too! perfect timing! please check them out, they re record is beautiful. and if your coming to any of the shows on this trip make sure you get there early to see them. Ive never been so blown away. i could go on gushing forever…poison and wine is my favourite so Ive attached the video for you! love always xx

http://www.adele.tv/blog/298/the-civil-wars
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Taylor Swifts glowing stamp of approval guess the could be set up for many years to come.

I love the single Safe & Sound (not normally a huge fan of Taylor's) but I do love this track.

I want to see The Civil Wars on tour, but I think they are sold out. Good to have Taylor's endorsement as well as Adele's. Couldn't ask for better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulmusic wrote: »
    I love the single Safe & Sound (not normally a huge fan of Taylor's) but I do love this track.

I want to see The Civil Wars on tour, but I think they are sold out. Good to have Taylor's endorsement as well as Adele's. Couldn't ask for better.

I had never even heard of them until Taylor got involved with them. The album is pretty good, its not spectacular but certainly worth a listen, had it playing in my car for 2 weeks or so:)
    Forum Member
    soulmusic wrote: »

They are touring again in the Autumn, bigger venues. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://thecivilwars.com/tour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Hehe....let's not forget Adele's blog about them that also features in many interviews with them. Great to have 2 industry superstars stanning for them.

Of course any good comments from any artist is the spotlight will do them no harm at all, thing is taylor collaborated with them so that in itself is well worth having on their CV:)

They are a very talented couple, hope they continue to have success
    Forum Member
    I had never even heard of them until Taylor got involved with them. The album is pretty good, its not spectacular but certainly worth a listen, had it playing in my car for 2 weeks or so:)

This thread is 5 months oldtoday; you should venture out on the threads more. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    This thread is 5 months oldtoday; you should venture out on the threads more. :D

I saw the thread when you created it but just assumed it was more pop pap or some new adele wannabe so never paid any attention ;)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the thread when you created it but just assumed it was more pop pap or some new adele wannabe so never paid any attention ;)

Ever the enlightened and subjective aren't you GL :p

In all fairness do like safe and sound not so much the group as you said good not spectacular a little maudlin for my tastes but have to say this is what i expected from Taylor on speak now almost unrecognizable really grown up mature and enjoyable hope she keeps it up and these guys get more mainstream attention :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Ever the enlightened and subjective aren't you GL :p

In all fairness do like safe and sound not so much the group as you said good not spectacular a little maudlin for my tastes but have to say this is what i expected from Taylor on speak now almost unrecognizable really grown up mature and enjoyable hope she keeps it up and these guys get more mainstream attention :)

As I have told you before on many occasions taylor will change her songwrriting style to fit in with whats required. Not sure what the song sounded like when taylor origionally wrote this song and how it compares to the final version but its clearly got a CW sound, would guess taylor presented it acoustically and then they worked in the CW sound into the song. Taylor was a fan of the CW proir to working with them anyway so guess taylor wrote the bones of it knowing the CW would be working with her on it and knowing the CW sound and style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have told you before on many occasions taylor will change her songwrriting style to fit in with whats required. Not sure what the song sounded like when taylor origionally wrote this song and how it compares to the final version but its clearly got a CW sound, would guess taylor presented it acoustically and then they worked in the CW sound into the song. Taylor was a fan of the CW proir to working with them anyway so guess taylor wrote the bones of it knowing the CW would be working with her on it and knowing the CW sound and style.

Having read peoples thoughts on it seems many agree it is so nice to hear such a mature grown up song from her i feel finally she has reached her potential and is moving into the upper echelons with her contemporaries this duet has done alot for both :)

is barton hollow worth a listen it seems they are a band that needs to be heard in the context of an album rather than singular songs ?
    Forum Member

Oh dear (shakes head again)....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having read peoples thoughts on it seems many agree it is so nice to hear such a mature grown up song from her i feel finally she has reached her potential and is moving into the upper echelons with her contemporaries this duet has done alot for both :)is barton hollow worth a listen it seems they are a band that needs to be heard in the context of an album rather than singular songs ?

She could have written it 5 years ago, taylor has not reached any potential with this song. all it shows is what a fine songwriter she is but we all know that anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could have written it 5 years ago, taylor has not reached any potential with this song. all it shows is what a fine songwriter she is but we all know that anyway.

Funny five years ago was 2007 and she was embarking on the more pop orientated Fearless with songs such as Love Story and You Belong With me if she could why didn't she was it she needed to stick to a formula to establish herself or just simply incapable as this is her most mature song yet which coincidentally is a duet.

Now seeing as i have praised her and subjectively looked at the point can we please leave it this is about Civil Wars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny five years ago was 2007 and she was embarking on the more pop orientated Fearless with songs such as Love Story and You Belong With me if she could why didn't she was it she needed to stick to a formula to establish herself or just simply incapable as this is her most mature song yet which coincidentally is a duet.

I think its clear from this sentence you have not paid any notice at all to my comments on taylor's songwrting in the past.
    I mean its not rocket science as to why she writes how she does.
    Now seeing as i have praised her and subjectively looked at the point can we please leave it this is about Civil Wars.

Considering you have made no input to this thread at all prior to my posting is living proof you are doing no more then stalking my posts and using every chance to slag off taylor when i mention her.
    Trolling at its finest I must say.