Great British Menu 2012

Comments

• apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I thought Murchison was overmarked. It wasn't a great dish to start with and wasn't well executed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all see different things don't we? I really like Alan Murchison and think he's funny with plenty of charisma... I don't find him aggressive either.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion but...

I agree with this
    ......................vvv
    rhumble wrote: »
    does anyone else not like Alan Murchison or is it just me,,,,,,,,,,i find him arrogant and aggressive,,,,no charisma at all,,,,,he's had his chance on this time for someone else imo

And it looks as though he has a bit of a mare tomorrow *HB rubs hands with glee*.... I am SO going to burn in hell... :D

Underwhelming dishes all round again :yawn: Although I thought the plate of lamb bits showed promise and I liked the stodgy look of that potato & beef terrine :o ... sure someone did something similar a ways back.

Thinking we may have to wait a while for someone to better Atherton's beef 4 ways... If at all...:(
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underwhelming dishes all round again :yawn: Although I thought the plate of lamb bits showed promise and I liked the stodgy look of that potato & beef terrine :o ... sure someone did something similar a ways back.

Thinking we may have to wait a while for someone to better Atherton's beef 4 ways... If at all...:(

Pretty disappointing again agreed. Mark Greenaway especially, for someone with a reputation of being a really modern and innovative chef his 3 courses have all appeared fairly 'bog-standard' nothing that we haven't seen before.

I actually really enjoyed the Pinsent bit, I think mentally there are a lot of similarities in the ambition, drive and single-mindedness in top athletes and chefs - they are both ultra competitive businesses to reach the top in.
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone else not like Alan Murchison or is it just me,,,,,,,,,,i find him arrogant and aggressive,,,,no charisma at all,,,,,he's had his chance on this time for someone else imo

Never been overly keen on him, but I think he's showing a bit more humour than he did in the previous shows - he's very ambitious and single-minded but I guess that's what has brought him to the top of his profession - I think he's a tough boss in the kitchen - I wouldn't want to work for him!!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    I thought Murchison was overmarked. It wasn't a great dish to start with and wasn't well executed.

I'd have been vastly disappointed if that had turned up in front of me - the meat looked awful, I quite like rare venison and would eat it, that just looked wrong and very fatty and I wouldn't have touched it. The green square with white stuff on top was not attractive, plus no gravy :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it last night...

*HB whispers so the BBC won't hear*

Anyone else hear Colin drop the F bomb - just after their total scores were displayed :o:D

So tonight... "with everything to play for"... oh come on Mark is too many points behind to get through....

Scotland Desserts

Jeremy Lee oversees proceedings as Scottish chefs Alan Murchison, Colin Buchan and Mark Greenaway produce their sweet creations, including Going for Gold, Modern Day Eton Mess and Beetroot cake with chocolate mousse and fennel ice-cream.

I'll give the beetroot cake a miss... must be Alan's I'm thinking... Love Eton Mess... We have a gastropub that does an over-18s version coz it is drenched in raspberry liqueur... nom nom... hic :o
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just posted about this but in all the years of this show that has to be the most stupid segment ever.It just made no sense at all.will this be new thing? dropping former Olympians into the show..Kelly Holmes on howto make the perfect Crème brûlée :p

Daley Thompson: My Mum's Trifle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just sneaked a peek at the Central region's dishes for next week.

Another sighting of squab (pigeon).... obv this year's scallop :D
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night...

*HB whispers so the BBC won't hear*

Anyone else hear Colin drop the F bomb - just after their total scores were displayed :o:D

So tonight... "with everything to play for"... oh come on Mark is too many points behind to get through....

Scotland Desserts

Jeremy Lee oversees proceedings as Scottish chefs Alan Murchison, Colin Buchan and Mark Greenaway produce their sweet creations, including Going for Gold, Modern Day Eton Mess and Beetroot cake with chocolate mousse and fennel ice-cream.

I'll give the beetroot cake a miss... must be Alan's I'm thinking... Love Eton Mess... We have a gastropub that does an over-18s version coz it is drenched in raspberry liqueur... nom nom... hic :o

You're missing out, beetroot in cakes is delicious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've had beetroot in various desserts - always delicious :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had beetroot in various desserts - always delicious :)

No doubt. I believe it adds moistness and sweetness not unlike carrot in c cake. However, it's the addition of fennel ice cream (cannot abide fennel :p ) to chocolate mousse. IMO one taste too far... hmmmm wonder if anyone will say that in the prog tonight ?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Pretty disappointing again agreed. Mark Greenaway especially, for someone with a reputation of being a really modern and innovative chef his 3 courses have all appeared fairly 'bog-standard' nothing that we haven't seen before.

I actually really enjoyed the Pinsent bit, I think mentally there are a lot of similarities in the ambition, drive and single-mindedness in top athletes and chefs - they are both ultra competitive businesses to reach the top in.
    It's interesting that the guy being the least "cheffy" is getting the best results so far
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear did no-one watch it this evening?
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've lost interest in this already. The theme is poor, it's not even reflected in the food, the food is more style than substance - generally dissapointing.

I would prefer them to be more restricted on ingredients, made to stick to the theme (and I would sooner it was jubilee... and I'm no royalist)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Depends what else i'm doing or what is on telly but I don't think i'll sit down and watch the whole series of this.

The Friday show maybe good enough.
  • tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I love this program, it's so pretentious and cringy...vegetables as the new dessert.

I don't think so.

Can't wait for tomorrow, the scots chefs are gonna get their usual pasting.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear did no-one watch it this evening?

Yes -but I'm a great believer in 'if you can't say something nice -don't say anything'.

So -I'm not saying anything!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    for some reason i never really watch the dessert episodes,,,,,,,i usually sky+ thursdays and just skim through,,,,,i prefer the savoury's
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 13,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for some reason i never really watch the dessert episodes,,,,,,,i usually sky+ thursdays and just skim through,,,,,i prefer the savoury's

Same here
    Forum Member
    Puddings....

Colin's - sounded lovely, looks distinctly underwelming

Alan - looked great, sounded horrendous (I love olives, but with chocolate and caramel :eek: )

Cubby chap - sounded 'meh' looked 'meh'

I predict Scotland will once again get nothing on the menu :(

But hopefully Oliver will be extremely grumpy tonight, always a highlight for me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I'm still slightly unsure he isn't a Stanley Baxter character (I'm very old, ask your grandparents :o ), but I do love him :)

Comes out from lurking on this thread as ^^That made me giggle - I had been thinking the same and was willing him to say Izat a marra in yer barra Clara - sorry I just had to share that:o

Back to the food - disappointed in the Scottish effort I have to say. Awful offal and olives in chocolate - yuck

Goes back to lurking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm guessing not a lot of money being wagered on a Scottish dish at the Olympic banquet then.........? :)

I'll be interested in seeing what the judges think of AM's mackerel course as I rather liked that...... I'm sure there's some more exciting fish dishes to come though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Can't wait for tomorrow, the scots chefs are gonna get their usual pasting.

That's what I'm looking forward to... be interesting to see if they 'big up' any of these meh efforts....
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    Yes -but I'm a great believer in 'if you can't say something nice -don't say anything'.

So -I'm not saying anything!

Oh dear :(

I'm sure we usually have some judges' sound bytes during the opening sequences during the week. I noticed that every show seems to have a different opening sequence. Obv that's where they've spent their editorial £££ :mad: I'd prefer more on the actual cooking.
    I've lost interest in this already. The theme is poor, it's not even reflected in the food, the food is more style than substance - generally dissapointing...

Thinking back to last year when the chefs' efforts - esp in the earlier rounds - did not seem to reflect the theme. We even had a theory in 'ere that perhaps the brief had changed as most of the chefs were way too cheffy for what turned out to be a street party.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puddings....

Colin's - sounded lovely, looks distinctly underwelming

Alan - looked great, sounded horrendous (I love olives, but with chocolate and caramel :eek: )

Cubby chap - sounded 'meh' looked 'meh'

I predict Scotland will once again get nothing on the menu :(

But hopefully Oliver will be extremely grumpy tonight, always a highlight for me :)

I remember one of the Masterchef finalists - Tom? did a chocolate and olive dessert and MRJ was quite complimentary about it ... so I guess if it's OK with MJR I'll have to go with it :D

I think the only way the Scotland winner stands a chance of getting a dish on the 'big' menu is with the dish they can completely change - as it stands at the minute, anyway.
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally underwhelming this week in my view. :yawn: Don't care which of these goes through. Can't see any of those dishes making it to the final. Things can only get better!